Jump to content
Steve Browning

New Mesa Subway head

Recommended Posts

Ooooh I like the look of that. I won't like the price of it I'm sure 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the look of that, but it'll be eye-wateringly expensive...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Merton said:

Ooooh I like the look of that. I won't like the price of it I'm sure 😉 

It isn't an Ashdown Merton!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, BruceBass3901 said:

It isn't an Ashdown Merton!

Haha! I know, sacrilege... I'd love a tube-preamped, 800W class D head from Ashdown though. Would be all over that like a randy dog on someone's leg

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Essentially I love the ‘two amps in one’ idea. 

I’m guessing the Boogie channel is designed for those that think that the newish WD800 was a bit modern sounding and didn’t quite hit the spot for those old bloomy Mesa amp tones.

Honestly I love the idea of fitting the 400/400+ tone stack in a modern portable amp. In fact I would actually buy it if it was a single channel amp over the D800/D800+ as it is more my kind of amp.

I presume that you can set the Boogie channel as your ‘dirty’ channel and foot switch from the Subway ‘clean’ channel? 

Yes it will be expensive but this amp would probably be top of my shopping list if I was looking for a new amp.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, skychaserhigh said:

Looks interesting but far too many features for me , I'd be constantly fiddling with it.

This.

I'll stick with the D-800 or + version.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

In the 90's I bought a 400+ and then added a Mesa 210EV and a Mesa 115EV. I thought the amp was OK but I don't see why it is so revered. I preferred the Ampeg SVT3 PRO that replaced it. The cabs, however, were a cut above the competition.

I briefly owned an early Mesa D800, which I liked a lot, but not enough to retire the Aguilar AG700. The WD800 and TT800 look like very interesting amps. With @agedhorse designing the Subway range Mesa's bass amps are reaching new heights.

 

Edited by chris_b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Boogie prices are getting more silly by the day.

 

A few years ago I bought their Mini Rectifier head - 25W - for about £900. It is now £1600.

The US price has not increased in the same way.

 

On more and more forums I see the opinions of Westside Distribution's pricing structure get worse by the minute. The used prices of Mesa valve amps are holding steady and not increasing. So a brand new Dual Rectifier Reborn costs about £3100. And the day after it will sell on ebay for about £1000. Maybe £1200 if you are lucky.I don't know of any brand that suffers such a drop - or more to the point a more unrealistic new value compared to the used market.

 

I have no idea who is buying them new. Nutters, most probably.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Boogie prices are getting more silly by the day.

 

A few years ago I bought their Mini Rectifier head - 25W - for about £900. It is now £1600.

The US price has not increased in the same way.

 

On more and more forums I see the opinions of Westside Distribution's pricing structure get worse by the minute. The used prices of Mesa valve amps are holding steady and not increasing. So a brand new Dual Rectifier Reborn costs about £3100. And the day after it will sell on ebay for about £1000. Maybe £1200 if you are lucky.I don't know of any brand that suffers such a drop - or more to the point a more unrealistic new value compared to the used market.

 

I have no idea who is buying them new. Nutters, most probably.

I think that this aspect was discussed In the mega thread we had when the WD 800 was released. However the problem still remains and is as relevant as ever. Honestly the UK cost of the Subway cabs, particularly the 4x10 are completely out of kilter with the dollar and with other boutique 4x10s. 

Saying that the Walkabout 1x15 I bought new in 2009 (£1500) is still the best bit of gear I have ever bought.

Also, the crash in value for used gear is great for the buyer. I got a Rectoverb 50 guitar combo shipped to me for £650 the other year. Cracking amp. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

EDIT:

@ the Mods - now the two topics have been merged this post can be deleted :)

Edited by Merton
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Subways, have they re-opened then? Never been fond of their bread, smells great but tastes like poo....

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/06/2020 at 12:07, Merton said:

Haha! I know, sacrilege... I'd love a tube-preamped, 800W class D head from Ashdown though. Would be all over that like a randy dog on someone's leg

I really like my GK MB800 Fusion with its valve pre.  Interestingly, my other amp is a Subway D800+ and I really can't decide which I prefer.  In practice, I tend to choose according to the nature of the venue.  That would make the TT800 a pretty obvious choice for me if money were no object - but unfortunately it is.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, thodrik said:

Honestly the UK cost of the Subway cabs, particularly the 4x10 are completely out of kilter with the dollar and with other boutique 4x10s. 

Not sure what the Mesa cab's cost or how they sound but the Subway heads I've had (first D800, now D800+) sound killer through BF cabs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Not sure what the Mesa cab's cost or how they sound but the Subway heads I've had (first D800, now D800+) sound killer through BF cabs.

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-cabs/mesa-boogie-subway-bass-cabinet-4-x-10-ultra-light

£2,150 for the 4x10. It is $1599 in the USA. So there is a sizeable markup. Cracking cabs with new design technology but the mark up makes it an unrealistic purchase considering you can get similarly lightweight, boutique cabs for approximately £1000 less, including BF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, thodrik said:

https://www.andertons.co.uk/bass-dept/bass-amps/bass-amp-cabs/mesa-boogie-subway-bass-cabinet-4-x-10-ultra-light

£2,150 for the 4x10. It is $1599 in the USA. So there is a sizeable markup. Cracking cabs with new design technology but the mark up makes it an unrealistic purchase considering you can get similarly lightweight, boutique cabs for approximately £1000 less, including BF.

Brings to mind a phrase I haven't heard for a while: rip-off Britain!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw the demo video pop up in my YouTube feed this evening... didn't realize Mesa had a new bass head coming out before now!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It says the cab is "ultra light" yet its 3kg heavier than my laney n410.

The head looks nice though. For me, and I'm sure many others, if it can produce a weight to its sound, dare I say heft, is the deal breaker 

Edited by la bam
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt this will be an utterly sublime piece of kit but surely going to carry an astronomical price. Somebody please feel free to tell me I'm wrong but are Boogie not seen as a sort of mid/upper level brand in the US? So why the borderline boutique UK pricing?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...