Why become a member? ×

New Mesa Subway head - Further update with added snake oil

Steve Browning

3 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

Posted my feelings of disappointment on Talkbass forum and got this reply from Agedhorse:

"Bummer for those in Europe, but I know there have been some (serious) COVID related parts delays on some products on the guitar side of things that have held up some shipments. Since the shipments are containerized, a delay in the guitar products also affects the bass products unfortunately.

Everybody here is (very) sorry for these delays, we aren’t happy about it either. It’s inconvenient for everyone concerned."

Interesting and thanks for passing that on. I guess my (harsh) response that they shouldn't then offer goods for sale (and take the money). Similarly, I was told my amp was being built on 4th August so there has been plenty of time to let me (and others) know the score.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

Interesting and thanks for passing that on. I guess my (harsh) response that they shouldn't then offer goods for sale (and take the money). Similarly, I was told my amp was being built on 4th August so there has been plenty of time to let me (and others) know the score.

The correct procedure (in fact the only one given Mesa don't know who their export end-customers are) would be for them to inform the first link in their supply chain (either the distributor or major retailer), who could then pass explanations on.  Of course, Mesa may have done exactly that and the info just didn't get forwarded to us customers.  In my experience, the big retailers aren't great communicators.

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Yep, I don’t buy that at all either Steve, delays in supply chain can’t be communicated as an excuse months after you’ve been told your unit is actually under construction. Someone’s telling porkies 

2 hours ago, Beedster said:

I wonder if early US buyers have their units? What’s the news on TB? 

The TT-800 topic started on TB at the beginning of June, at which point a couple of 'industry insider' forum members were already posting their comments and pic's based on playing pre-production/early production units.  The first TB 'ordinary' member ordered on June 8 and product was available to ship from Mesa's flagship Hollywood store from mid-June.  Seems like all the active posters who wanted to own - or try - one were able to do so 2 or 3 months ago and fall into 3 groups.  A few tried and decided to stick with their Carbine, D800+ or (Walkabout-based) WD-800; a few bought a TT-800 and kept their Carbine or WD-800 (both offer a different tonal flavour from the Bass 400+/D800 combo available on TT-800); the majority are loving the TT and getting more from this one amp than they've ever got from any other.  Obviously this is just a snapshot of the knowledgeable 'early-entrant' Talkbass punters, most of whom were already Mesa fans.  Don't know how things have rolled out across the US as a whole.

On 01/10/2020 at 06:58, scrumpymike said:

I'm guessing that they'll export in consolidated consignments to keep costs down so yours may well be waiting until they have enough to make up a shipment.

This could certainly be part of it, though I have heard from players in the EU who have received their Subway amps (including a few TT's) so it's possible that a limited number of amps from earlier shipments were already sold. Just because a shipment enters the country doesn't mean that it hasn't been sold to another customer who was already waiting, I don't know how dealers manage waiting lists.

I don't have this information, and it's not really my area. I am trying my best to be helpful and provide honest, transparent information. Obviously I am sometimes wrong or miss an important detail, but I can assure you that it's not intentional on any level.

I do understand everybody's disappointment, really. 

Edited by agedhorse
  • Thanks 1

On 01/10/2020 at 22:35, Steve Browning said:

This is true. Over the years I know of several people who have bought Boogie gear because of the sound of my rig.

A good chum is a Boogie endorsee so I am pursuing other avenues. 

Steve - I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said "your" amp because there's no way for me to know which particular amp you might end up with. I should have said "amps destined for Europe". My appologies.

Edited by agedhorse
  • Like 2

No problem. Your input is always very much appreciated. I suspect we have a pretty much identical love of the brand. 

Things may be taking a spectacular turn but I will keep quiet in case I jinx it.

I did let my disappointment get the better of me but my allegiance is as strong as ever. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Browning said:

Well. Things have taken a spectacular turn.

With the assistance of an exceedingly good chum (a Mesa endorsee) and the artist relations chap in the US, I am now super proud to be an official Mesa Boogie endorsee.

I'm a bit too stunned to add anything to that!!

Nice one!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

With the assistance of an exceedingly good chum (a Mesa endorsee) and the artist relations chap in the US, I am now super proud to be an official Mesa Boogie endorsee.

Nice one! All as it should be Steve :)

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Steve Browning said:

I do hope that doesn't mean you'll get a TT-800 before I do 😉

For those wondering why all manufacturers are experiencing delays, here are a couple of good shipping industry articles that outline the specific issues being encountered, and why:

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/will-container-shipping-reliability-come-back/

https://theloadstar.com/blanked-sailings-and-covid-19-bounce-back-bring-new-congestion-at-ports/

What we are seeing more shipments (both inbound to us outbound to Europe) being delayed for a variety of reasons, but primarily from canceled sailings where the shipping line simply eliminates a ship's trip and consolidates those containers on a later shipment. Since ships do not leave every day, and in fact they can leave every other week between some ports, resulting in accumulated delays if two trips get canceled back to back.

This makes predicting anything related to delivery more and more difficult (and frustrating to everybody concerned, including us).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, agedhorse said:

For those wondering why all manufacturers are experiencing delays, here are a couple of good shipping industry articles that outline the specific issues being encountered, and why:

https://www.hellenicshippingnews.com/will-container-shipping-reliability-come-back/

https://theloadstar.com/blanked-sailings-and-covid-19-bounce-back-bring-new-congestion-at-ports/

What we are seeing more shipments (both inbound to us outbound to Europe) being delayed for a variety of reasons, but primarily from canceled sailings where the shipping line simply eliminates a ship's trip and consolidates those containers on a later shipment. Since ships do not leave every day, and in fact they can leave every other week between some ports, resulting in accumulated delays if two trips get canceled back to back.

This makes predicting anything related to delivery more and more difficult (and frustrating to everybody concerned, including us).

I'm loving this site as an alternative economics site, from a bunch of very diverse people who just happen to have one thing in common (a love of things 4/5/6.....string)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the video.  I’ve been looking at these though interest wanes a little each time the delivery date is pushed back by Andertons - probably 5th or 6th time now and looking at 10th Feb 2021 (not Andertons’ fault of course).  I have a number of connections in the US and thinking of getting a tt shipped directly, despite attendant potential problems

8 hours ago, 2elliot said:

I wish people would use a normal bass when demoing gear. I'm very interested in this amp, watching someone using a bit of drift wood with several midget gems stuck it does the demo and me no favours. 

Close your eyes, imagine it's... I don't know, sunburst. Shaped vaguely like a Jazz but with soapbar humbuckers. Add tortoiseshell if you fancy. Better? 

;)

Seriously, apart from the looks, that's a pretty normal sounding bass.