Why become a member? ×

Soldering.

1 minute ago, grandad said:

That's crazy, never seen anything like that before. I wonder how quickly it clogs up and if it can it be cleared while hot?

I usually have to clean a manual sucker every few goes, when I used to to do electronics professionally I used the braid mostly as it was cleaner and more precise and didn't suffer from jamming (and the mechanical twang making everything jump around).

• Like 1

Some years ago I actually wrote an article published in an electronics magazine on an adaption I made to something like that. It required taking the pump off and replacing it with a plastic tube connected to my shop vac. It worked very well . I drilled a hole in the tube where the button was to allow the air to escape without cooling the tip. Blocking the hole with a finger allowed the PC board solder to be removed.

Edited by BassmanPaul
  • Like 1

I got myself a Hakko 888D a couple of years ago and, and at the same time I also brushed up a bit on proper technique as it was a long time since I'd learnt. I'm happy enough now to rewire basses and make my own leads and some of that is down to the Hakko. I pretty much know what temps I need for soldering different things and for desoldering. 

I think the big thing with temperature controlled is that it will try and maintain the iron at a temp, so if you're doing a pot and it soaks up a little bit of heat, the station will get it back up to temp. I've noticed that I can solder earths to pots as easily as anything else now and it used to be a proper pain in the proverbial with an iron.

Edited by adamg67
  • Like 3