Why become a member? ×

Fret Buzz...

stewblack

...on a fretless?

OK stupid title but it kind of sounds like that. Onlyon the G string. The string doesn't sustain and kind of honks. I'm guessing it isn't hitting a fret so other than raising the bridge saddle, what could it be? Nut too low?

I reckon this thread will build up a nice big list of possibilities...

neck too straight

string too low

string not sitting well in nut

string not sitting well on saddle

string hitting pickup (pup too high or string too low) 

string hitting end of fingerboard

duff string 

warped neck

• Like 1

My first thought would be nut slot too low so the string is just sat on the fingerboard at the nut end. Does it do it if you stop (fret 🤔) the string as well or only when plucking the open string? 

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

How many can we discount from the list if all other strings are OK? 

Not many tbh. 

You could always put a tiny bit of cotton wool, or similar, in the nut slot to see if that is indeed the issue. I presume it’d have to be very low to cause issues up the neck - could be wrong though. 

• Thanks 1

Facts I should have given but didn't. I retrieved the bass yesterday. It had been locked up in our local second hand shop where I'd hoped to sell it. 

Today it is noticeably better. I'm assuming a Chang of atmosphere has had some impact. 

Also the neck does indeed look a little straight. 

I'll fettle and report. 

7 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Facts I should have given but didn't. I retrieved the bass yesterday. It had been locked up in our local second hand shop where I'd hoped to sell it. 

Today it is noticeably better. I'm assuming a Chang of atmosphere has had some impact. 

Also the neck does indeed look a little straight. 

I'll fettle and report. 

Cool, I’d have thought straight neck first, especially if the bass was ok before. Good luck. 

Quick checks:

• Take the offending string off and reinstall it.
  • Try a piece of paper under the nut (although I have played plenty of fretless basses that have the nut flush to the fingerboard and are fine)
  • Raise the saddle height to see if you can get it to play clean.  It may only need a very small lift to clean it up.
  • Check the fingerboard is smooth under the string (i.e. no string marks, nicks, slight bumps etc.)
  • How straight is the neck?  I find a very small amount of relief (say .25mm at the 9th fret when you press down at the first and last "fret") is enough to let the strings breathe.

Good luck!

Edited by franzbassist

I lowered the bridge, put a little relief on the neck, got the action how I like it. Then lowered the pick ups slightly to get a nice clearance and good sound. 

But the g string was still producing more mwah than the others. So I followed advice and popped a small shim in the nut and it solved the problem. 

What I've not done is make this solution more permanent! 

I have a Squier fretless that has a fret marker that is slightly proud at the 5th fret on the G string.  It causes a buzzing in that position.  It's an easy fix that I'll get around to soon. I'll just file the fret marker down a little with a sharp carpenter's chisel.

Frank.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stewblack said:

What I've not done is make this solution more permanent! 

I wonder if it’s the height or just badly filed? 

On a fretted bass, I check out the clearance by hammering on the 1st fret from open, and match that to the clearance when hammering the 2nd from the 1st - not sure if that’ll work on a fretless though as the fret’s not there, but might be a place to start.   

Sounds like you’re on it though,  but just in case you’re not sure what’s next - try smoothing out the nut slot with a file or medium-low grade paper. Failing that, if you have an old bone nut or saddle,  just file it to dust, drop it in the slot, add some super glue and file it later in the day - after putting masking tape either side of the nut, for protection against spills. 

13 hours ago, Chiliwailer said:

I wonder if it’s the height or just badly filed? 

On a fretted bass, I check out the clearance by hammering on the 1st fret from open, and match that to the clearance when hammering the 2nd from the 1st - not sure if that’ll work on a fretless though as the fret’s not there, but might be a place to start.   

Sounds like you’re on it though,  but just in case you’re not sure what’s next - try smoothing out the nut slot with a file or medium-low grade paper. Failing that, if you have an old bone nut or saddle,  just file it to dust, drop it in the slot, add some super glue and file it later in the day - after putting masking tape either side of the nut, for protection against spills. 

Great advice thank you.

• Like 1

I got it, at one place, on one string on my fretless.

I scraped the varnish (maple fingerboard) with the edge of a scalpel two ro three times, about 1/2" down from where I was fingering the note and the effect disappeared.

It was a tiny high spot.