Why become a member? ×

Squier Bronco + Humbucker = BroncoRay?

BassApprentice

Afternoon all,

I've finally found a Bronco that needs some love for a project that has been on my mind for a while. Ever since I saw the short scale Stingray I wanted one but don't have £600 currently free so, could I put a humbucker in the Stringray spot and get something similar?

Would probably add a Stinger circuit to it too.

What do we think?

Edited by BassApprentice

That would be interesting, give it a go! For 30" scale (762mm) the Stingray pickup position should be 303mm from the 12th fret to centreline of the pickup. Bear in mind that the Bronco in standard form has 18mm string spacing, but the neck is just about wide enough to take a regular 19mm bridge. I think the Kent Armstrong has full width bar magnets so that should work with any string spacing.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So, some parts have arrived! 

Picked up some Squier elephant ear tuners from @jezzaboy to replace the tin foil tuners currently in place. I've never drilled holes for tuners so will probably need some advice on measuring to ensuring they fit. 

Already switched out the lovely strat pickup for a cheap rail pickup in a cool cover and it sounds not bad. Popped an old set of rounds on for now but will end up with tapewounds at some point. 

This will end up Pink with a tort scratchplate 😅 but the biggest task is working how to install and wire up this Quad rail humbucker I bought - much advice will be needed for this 😁

received_2680022132098735.jpeg

IMG_20200713_121528.jpg

• Like 1

On 13/07/2020 at 20:18, BassApprentice said:

So, some parts have arrived! 

Picked up some Squier elephant ear tuners from @jezzaboy to replace the tin foil tuners currently in place. I've never drilled holes for tuners so will probably need some advice on measuring to ensuring they fit. 

Already switched out the lovely strat pickup for a cheap rail pickup in a cool cover and it sounds not bad. Popped an old set of rounds on for now but will end up with tapewounds at some point. 

This will end up Pink with a tort scratchplate 😅 but the biggest task is working how to install and wire up this Quad rail humbucker I bought - much advice will be needed for this 😁

received_2680022132098735.jpeg

IMG_20200713_121528.jpg

Can't wait to see the outcome of this 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, soldersqueeze said:

If you're planning on stripping the paint off it before the respray, dont bother with paint stripper, just use a heat gun and scraper. There isn't a chemical on earth that will even touch the sides of an affinity paint job! Trust me, I have been there and tried it.... 

I was planning on just knocking the gloss off and painting over the red as yes, some finishes put up a real fight! 

17 hours ago, soldersqueeze said:

Also, i have a bridge with adjustable spacing on my Bronco and have it set to 19mm spacing just so it matches my other basses. It's a touch tight but totally fine. I think 18mm is ideal for the neck though.

That's good to know, I think I would rather go to 18mm as that seems to fit far better. Will either go for that cheap bridge I suggested above or hold out for a Schaller/Hipshot 

• 2 weeks later...

So progress!

The bass was actually at my parents so finally got my hands on it. First thing - take it apart. The bass itself isn't in bad condition few battle scars on the back but nothing that bothers me.

Something that did bother me were those tuners. Wow - I had heard they were bad but these are proper s***e 😂 so straight in the bin. Few minutes working away at the body to get rid of the gloss and then on to the spraying! As always with paint, I wasn't sure what colour this was going to be. I was aiming for the colour on the Flea signature bass and I'm pretty happy with the way it came out! 

Few more coats and sanding and I think it will be almost there, not sure if I am going to go down the gloss finish or leave it matte. Will see how it comes out across the next few days!

IMG_20200728_150022.jpg

IMG_20200728_152321.jpg

IMG_20200728_155610.jpg

IMG_20200728_155949.jpg

IMG_20200728_160729.jpg

• Like 4