Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Ultra or Sandberg

MNY

That Ultra Jazz looks great. Just read the specs. I’ve not played one. I’ve owned a Fender USA Standard Jazz (2012) which was nice but I was a little disappointed with the build quality (neck pocket was not  tight). I replaced the pickups with Aguilar 70s which are great. After owning many basses (Sadowsky, Xotic, EBMM, Lakland) I reached the conclusion that I prefer passive basses although I do own a passive bass with active EMG JVX pickups which is a slap monster. The Lakland replaced the USA Jazz. It was much better built and I transferred the Aguilar pickups. Probably the best Jazz style bass I owned up to that point. Fantastic quarter sawn neck. Trouble was it was a bit “boring” and I treated it too carefully. I wanted something with more growl and replaced it with a passive Sandberg TSBS with 70s pickup spacing. Fabulous bass. Probably one the best build basses I’ve owned. And oodles of lovely passive growl. It has the Sandberg Alnico 5 pickups. Hotter (more winds) than the Aguilars and not as polite but that’s what I was after. I never previously liked aged finished but this has been done incredibly well. 

So, a big thumbs up for Sandberg. I’ve previously owned a Fender USA Jazz, Fender USA P and Fender MIJ P (1994 Fujigen factor). The MIJ had TI flats and was the best of the bunch. I regret selling it but I’m not really a P bass guy.  I went for Fender because I wanted the name on the headstock. Still do a little! I decided I’d never buy Fender again but maybe the Ultra could change that. Happy with Sandberg for now though. 

PS... my Sandberg TSBS is Roquefort blue, not the really loud yellow that it comes in by default. I like the yellow but don’t think I could live with it!

Edited by EdBod
  • Like 1

I always shape the tone a bit on all basses I’ve owned (I use a parametric equaliser). I tend to cut at around 300Hz to remove some mud. Possibly a small boost at 2K to add some sparkle. My amp has a high pass filter so drops frequencies below about 35Hz.  I usually have both pickups and tone full. The passive tone is really useful to remove a bit of edge if needed. 

Edited by EdBod

1 hour ago, EdBod said:

I always shape the tone a bit on all basses I’ve owned (I use a parametric equaliser). I tend to cut at around 300Hz to remove some mud. Possibly a small boost at 2K to add some sparkle. My amp has a high pass filter so drops frequencies below about 35Hz.  I usually have both pickups and tone full. The passive tone is really useful to remove a bit of edge if needed. 

Have you used a Stellartone Tonestyler?

Sounds like it may be up your street 

I changed the pickups on all but one of the Fenders I owned to non-Fender ones. The best Fender Jazz I owned was a Marcus Miller made in Japan. I kept those pickups which were very good but the preamp was awful so I put in a John East preamp which was fantastic. The neck with perloid inlays was amazing. However, the bass was far too heavy so had to go.  I now own two Sandbergs (nice and light) and have never felt the need to change them in any way.

• 2 weeks later...

This guy can certainly play. I can testify that the way this bass sounds on the video is pretty much true to real life. My bass really is a super versatile instrument, with a killer sound! 

Edited by MNY
  • Like 1