Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Ultra or Sandberg

MNY

29 minutes ago, Nebadon2000 said:

I own a Fender😀

Never mind........🤗

I must admit To owning one myself - the new Squier Mini P bass is pretty darn good!

I will day this as a massive Sandberg fan - Fender probably Do the simple P bass Better and that’s across old and new shape Sandy’s - the rest of the lines for me are edged by Sandberg

Edited by Cuzzie

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

Ask @CameronJ about his personal service. He bought an Electra (‘budget’ range) second hand and broke a tuning peg, his own fault (clumsy man!). Emailed Sandberg asking about where to buy a replacement - the owner Hölger personally replied and sent one out for free.

Thats a big reason why I would choose Sandberg over other companies - you wouldn’t see the CEO/owner of most companies doing that.

Truth. This was about 5 years ago and I still own the bass to this day :).

I emailed Sandberg customer support (their general support email address) some time in the early evening, got a personal reply from Hölger himself at around 3am simply asking for my address. No platitudes, just “Send me your shipping address, I will sort this out” or words to that effect. A week later I have a brand new identical tuner postmarked from Germany, free of charge.

All this for a used bass which I admitted was damaged as a result of my own incompetence - not a failure of the product itself. I insisted upon paying for the tuner but Hölger was having none of it.

That’s a masterclass in customer service if you ask me.

4BA0E7A1-1125-4DA8-AEA4-7182BD7DE3C0.thumb.jpeg.76e5028445e510fc631bcf3bdb9ef4bc.jpeg

Edited by CameronJ
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Truth. This was about 5 years ago and I still own the bass to this day :).

I emailed Sandberg customer support (their general support email address) some time in the early evening, got a personal reply from Hölger himself at around 3am simply asking for my address. No platitudes, just “Send me your shipping address, I will sort this out” or words to that effect. A week later I have a brand new identical tuner postmarked from Germany, free of charge.

All this for a used bass which I admitted was damaged as a result of my own incompetence - not a failure of the product itself. I insisted upon paying for the tuner but Hölger was having none of it.

That’s a masterclass in customer service if you ask me.

4BA0E7A1-1125-4DA8-AEA4-7182BD7DE3C0.thumb.jpeg.76e5028445e510fc631bcf3bdb9ef4bc.jpeg

That is a nice looking bass as well

I didn't know that Fender has dropped the graphite support rods for the Ultra series. The lower priced Professional series still has them. Interesting. 

Another way to look at this is perhaps Fender are using better quality wood for the Ultra series. Wood that doesn't need support rods.

I've had more than my fair share of Fenders over years and my least favourite ones had those support rods. They seem to suck a bit of soul out of the instrument to me.

No question Sandbergs are amazing but the Ultra Jazz looks sooo much sexier to me. Nothing to um and ah about further down the road.

If it was me, I would go Fender.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MNY said:

Very nice. I much prefer a nice finish like that than something which looks like it’s been dragged behind a car down the M6. 😬

I know - those Fender Custom shop chaps don’t know how to relic.......😜

If the credit card allows, why not order both at the same time and then send back the one you like the least under distance selling rules? Failing that, music shops are reopening next week if you’re up to a visit. 

• Like 2

I have just asked a question. The point was I wanted to understand why people thought the Sandbergs were so good as I wasn’t really getting it myself. If you don’t understand the point you don’t really need to participate in the discussion, it’s fine by me.

There is a very good reason that I have to use the online examples, and if that’s the criteria I must use to make my judgement so be it. I have the back up of distance selling regulations anyway.  If I end up with the Fender which looks likely I’m sure I will be happy with it if it sounds half as good as the videos I’ve  watched. 

Edited by MNY

3 hours ago, MNY said:

I have just asked a question. The point was I wanted to understand why people thought the Sandbergs were so good as I wasn’t really getting it myself. If you don’t understand the point you don’t really need to participate in the discussion, it’s fine by me.

There is a very good reason that I have to use the online examples, and if that’s the criteria I must use to make my judgement so be it. I have the back up of distance selling regulations anyway.  If I end up with the Fender which looks likely I’m sure I will be happy with it if it sounds half as good as the videos I’ve  watched. 

But you asked for an opinion on Sandberg. Myself and others stated that they're amazing basses. You then said I'll just go with Fender hence making it a pointless thread.

Good luck with whatever bass you buy.

1 minute ago, ClassicVibes said:

But you asked for an opinion on Sandberg. Myself and others stated that they're amazing basses. You then said I'll just go with Fender hence making it a pointless thread.

Good luck with whatever bass you buy.

O.o

This is a forum. People ask for opinions, for a different point of view and then make their own minds up. Contributors to those discussions shouldn’t take umbrage if the OP concludes to go a different path to the one you would recommend for whatever the reason. It’s not a binding democratic vote based on what percentage say X or Y.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Deedee said:

O.o

This is a forum. People ask for opinions, for a different point of view and then make their own minds up. Contributors to those discussions shouldn’t take umbrage if the OP concludes to go a different path to the one you would recommend for whatever the reason. It’s not a binding democratic vote based on what percentage say X or Y.

Did anyone mention Brexit?😈

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Deedee said:

O.o

.....which is the reason I asked the question tbh. I have no practical or hands on experience of Sandberg Basses. I appreciate lots of people on here have, and I want to gauge opinion to see what people’s thoughts are in general.I was leaning towards SB at one point based on build quality and then I had a change of heart. For me ( and I suspect possibly for everyone on here) sound is the most important aspect of why we play certain types of bass., whether that be to achieve a funky type of vibe, something middle of the road that suits lots of types of music, something suitable for rock/metal etc etc. In the end I simply preferred the sound of the Ultra Jazz over the Sandbergs. 

1 hour ago, MNY said:

.....which is the reason I asked the question tbh. I have no practical or hands on experience of Sandberg Basses. I appreciate lots of people on here have, and I want to gauge opinion to see what people’s thoughts are in general.I was leaning towards SB at one point based on build quality and then I had a change of heart. For me ( and I suspect possibly for everyone on here) sound is the most important aspect of why we play certain types of bass., whether that be to achieve a funky type of vibe, something middle of the road that suits lots of types of music, something suitable for rock/metal etc etc. In the end I simply preferred the sound of the Ultra Jazz over the Sandbergs. 

I hope the Ultra works out for you, but in reference to the above, these you tube videos make it Really difficult.

For example Darkglass pedals and amp are peppered with Nu Metal etc demo’s but they are way more versatile if you spend time with them, same for Tech21 DP3X as an example.

You have to trust your gut, is Fender is where it lies, good man, Sandberg will always be there if you change your mind

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MNY said:

Thanks RB, I have ordered the Ultra Jazz in  the Texas Tea colour. I will let you know what I think later in the week. 

Cheers.

Good work, you’ve made a decision that, given your earlier posts, will be the right one for you. You’ve done some ‘due diligence’ in looking at other basses and gleaning some alternative opinions, rather than just jumping in straight away with both feet first and then put your money down on the preferred option. If in the end it doesn’t float your boat the way that you’d hoped, you can always sell it (or just return it if it’s an immediate disappointment) and regard any losses as market research or rental costs. Pics when it arrives please, sound samples if possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MNY said:

Thanks RB, I have ordered the Ultra Jazz in  the Texas Tea colour. I will let you know what I think later in the week. 

Cheers.

I got a Ultra precision in December; Plasma Red but that Texas Tea is a great finish. I can attest the Overall Quality and feel is inline with it's price. The 'D' neck with compound radius is fantastic; great playability. I checked out the usual suspects EBMM, G&L, Lakeland all great Basses. Wanted to check out Sandberg and Sadowsky Metro express but never found one to try. The Ultra fit my needs and I got a great price along with Plasma Red caught my eye.

To late now;  but I will try to chase down a Sandberg  P or PJ Configured and give it a play based on what I have heard here. It is a nice feature you can configure your own

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Reggaebass said:

@MNY If you do get the Ultra I hope you’ll let us know how it is, I for one would be very interested , I was looking at the 2019 one for sale on GAK earlier, it’s rather tempting , good luck with whatever you choose 🙂

Don't worry, there will be one for sale soon.

Personally I would go for the Sandberg, you're getting a hand built bass for the same price as a factory built fender. 

I've been using Sandberg for about the last 10 years, and prior to that my mainstay was a fender US jazz for about 14 years (many other basses came and went!). 

I've had various different model Sandbergs, and what made me really fall in love with them was the neck feel, overall build quality and playability, just incredible. 

Clearly I'm a huge fan BUT I completely get what you're saying about the tone! They have a great tonal range, but can sound a bit HiFi/Sterile. It's only in the past 6 months or so I've realised that I've been craving that warm, organic tone like you get from a more traditional bass. So, I have a new Sandberg incoming VERY soon....  This time a TT5 passive - the main difference for me is that they have traditional style alnico V pickups, like a fender. I've come to realise that their usual pickups with the large (Delano style) pole pieces are what really create that HiFi tone. The bass is a bass; alder body, maple neck, couldn't be much more standard. But it's the pickups that make that difference. 

I'm hoping I will get that traditional sound, with the sandberg playability I love. 😊

This video was the final deciding factor for me, sounds great! 

• Like 2