Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Ultra or Sandberg

MNY

Struggling a little bit to make a choice here. The new Fender Ultra basses look and sound amazing online as do the Sandberg basses, but I am really interested in people’s experience of the two as online videos are often doctored and compressed etc. I am leaning towards Sandberg at the moment as I believe the build quality will probably be hard to beat. Any insights will be very welcome! Thanks in advance.

• Like 1

I think fender went backwards with the ultra....gone is the adjustable through body bridge...also, no carbon rods in the neck....seems a cost cutting exercise to me!!!...go with Sandberg...far better build quality.

• Like 3

Thank you for your comments. Based on sound alone though the Ultra seems much sweeter and warmer. The Sandbergs can sound a little sterile to my ears at least.

• Like 1

For the price of a new Fender Ultra, you’re looking at secondhand Sadowsky territory. IMHO, significantly higher quality, more versatile, killer tone, they tend to be very well cared for, and you won’t lose any money if you decide to sell on at some point.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

Sandberg any day. Build quality is better, playability is better, just everything is better.

The only reason to buy a Fender over a Sandberg is for resale value. If that's the case, why are you buying a bass you're going to sell!

Spot on there Mister Vibes.

If I was going down the Fender route, a s/h US Standard and stick in a East pre amp or a Elite model would be a much better bet. The Ultra`s spec has been downgraded from the Elite which makes no sense.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone this is helpful. I am with you on the Sandberg  build quality and to be honest that’s entirely what I would expect, but the Fender Ultra sounds much better to my ears.  I have played and heard a couple of Sadowskys ( my best mate manages a bass department in a shop in the NW of England) and I was very underwhelmed to be honest. 

Fretmeister, huge Bobby Vega fan here, what an absolute monster he is! 

Edited by MNY

FWIW the current badass type bridge is far better than the enchanted BBOT the previous models had. I have one on my Dimension and it is solid as a rock. I hear very little if any difference with strings through the body and the break angle on the old bridge was just that - more likely to break strings. Yamaha got the through body stringing bar better with their 45-degree design. I also wonder what real world benefit carbon rods have - a properly seasoned wood, sawn and built properly, doesn’t need additional strengthening, and carbon rods can reduce wood vibration and therefore impede the tone of the instrument. 

all of which has nothing to do with Fender vs Sandberg. I’ve played a couple of Sandbergs and they are of excellent quality, but personally the used std (of even a Japanese Jazz apps they tend to be better-finished) plus East preamp would be my choice.

the previous Deluxe bass might be an option  if they are for sale.  You can easily change  pups 

For pillars or any other pickups the Sandberg's  I saw a the bass guitar show were outstanding in build quality

I think the ultras are way over priced  

The Sandbergs and Ultras seem to be similarly priced, maybe the Sandbergs are slightly cheaper.  I must have watched a dozen video demos today and sadly I just don’t like how the SB’s sound. I much prefer the active Fender basses, maybe I am just used to that sound but it’s definitely more pleasant to my ears. Thanks to everyone for their contributions!

Edited by MNY
  • Like 2

I much prefer the sound of Fender basses in general. They sound familiar. I guess it’s because they are on so many recordings. One thing they don’t lack is character. Whether you like the build quality, the design or the instruments themselves ( or not) they do have a heritage and a degree of kudos. 

Take G and L as an example. Leo Fender always claimed that they were the best guitars he’d ever made, and yet the company is relatively unknown by comparison to Fender and Musicman. Build quality wise that statement is probably true but having made such iconic sounding instruments like  the J,P and the Stingray, the G and L models never quite developed the same following. I wonder whether that was something to do with their sound, being a sort of Fender/Musicman hybrid. 

I think we all have an idea what we want to sound like as players; If we didn’t why would ‘we’ spend lots of money on trying to find our Holy Grail amps and basses.  Thinking about Sandberg for a moment. Impeccable build quality. Fairly generic designs, but for me in the most important area, character,  they seem to lack something. Yes they look great, but they don’t really wow me sound wise. Plenty will disagree but that’s just my take, and probably the reason why I can’t see myself owning one.

• Like 1

The Fender Elite range was extremely well put together and I'd hold them up against any Sandberg that I've had. If the Ultra has continued in that vein there would be no worries on build quality for me.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, MNY said:

I much prefer the sound of Fender basses in general. They sound familiar. I guess it’s because they are on so many recordings. One thing they don’t lack is character. Whether you like the build quality, the design or the instruments themselves ( or not) they do have a heritage and a degree of kudos. 

Take G and L as an example. Leo Fender always claimed that they were the best guitars he’d ever made, and yet the company is relatively unknown by comparison to Fender and Musicman. Build quality wise that statement is probably true but having made such iconic sounding instruments like  the J,P and the Stingray, the G and L models never quite developed the same following. I wonder whether that was something to do with their sound, being a sort of Fender/Musicman hybrid. 

I think we all have an idea what we want to sound like as players; If we didn’t why would ‘we’ spend lots of money on trying to find our Holy Grail amps and basses.  Thinking about Sandberg for a moment. Impeccable build quality. Fairly generic designs, but for me in the most important area, character,  they seem to lack something. Yes they look great, but they don’t really wow me sound wise. Plenty will disagree but that’s just my take, and probably the reason why I can’t see myself owning one.

Nothing much wrong with your statement at all, as it comes down to personal preference, all people can talk about is their own experiences.

Without going into G&L too much, build quality is amazing, but those MFD pick ups Are properly marmite-that’s probably it’s biggest failing.

Sound wise - as you say we all have our own ideas, I defo wouldn’t say they are characterless, but that’s me, it’s a shame you can’t try one at the moment to see whether or not in your hands it works for you.

Value - second hand the value drops more comparing the ranges starting prices in Sandberg, that just means it’s more bargain territory in my eyes.

What are we left with to differentiate As there are subjective matters here -  customer service, I know Hölger and Mike have driven huge distances In a day to sort out a bass for one of theiR artists that was damaged in transit on the day of a show, taking a rescue kit and doing it backstage. Ask @CameronJ about his personal service. He bought an Electra (‘budget’ range) second hand and broke a tuning peg, his own fault (clumsy man!). Emailed Sandberg asking about where to buy a replacement - the owner Hölger personally replied and sent one out for free.

Thats a big reason why I would choose Sandberg over other companies - you wouldn’t see the CEO/owner of most companies doing that.

whatever you get - I hope you enjoy tho

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your comments Deedee. In all the reviews I have read the only real criticism, apart from personal preference, has tended to be the price. The Ultras  are expensive but every reviewer commented on how amazing they sound, even Stuart Clayton who really knows his stuff. I am therefore very much erring on the side of the Fender.

• Like 2

Cheers Cuzzie. It’s really great to hear examples of world class service, as it is these days more important than ever. I really like the passion that the owner shows as well. I love his enthusiasm. I am stuck with a strange set of circumstances to negotiate though which is why I can’t try the basses in question. However distance selling regulations afford me some protection I guess. Having sent one bass back this week as it had high 8th and 9th frets and buzzed badly I don’t want to become a serial bass returner.😀 

I would like to thank everyone for their comments, they have been helpful and I appreciate the time taken to respond.

Edited by MNY
  • Like 1

I’ve played the Elite and I really liked it , and I will buy one when the right colour comes up at the right price, I also have a custom Sandberg , all I can say is they are both great but very different in sound and feel , I know it doesn’t help but I like them both 😁