Why become a member? ×

Hello I'm a 15 year old bassist from bedfordshire

Harryb0201

emojis.gif.1c3edc6433bfb7cd9b4e5ff59d5981d2.gif

Hi Harry.

Welcome

I was playing ( well making a noise on) a bass I bought from Woolworths ( ask your grandad what a Woolworths is 😉 ) when I was your age .

It cost £29.00  and was worth about 29p

It was all I knew though so I soldiered on .

Your basses should last you a long time buddy.....take no notice of these people on here about buying basses...they haven't even worked out which one is best for metal yet!  :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Raymondo said:

I was playing ( well making a noise on) a bass I bought from Woolworths ( ask your grandad what a Woolworths is 😉 ) when I was your age .

As much as that? Pfft. You were lucky.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raymondo said:

emojis.gif.1c3edc6433bfb7cd9b4e5ff59d5981d2.gif

Hi Harry.

Welcome

It was all I knew though so I soldiered on .

Your basses should last you a long time buddy.....take no notice of these people on here about buying basses...they haven't even worked out which one is best for metal yet!  :crazy:

@Harryb0201 you should be aware that “is that bass any good for playing metal?” Is something of an in-joke around these parts 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

As are the terms "clown whore", "a waste of TIM", and "is Mark King better than Flea?" :lol: 

:D

"Heft"

"Trace Elliot watts"

and "Rickenbacker" :/

*runs & hides from angry mob*

:D 

Edited by Teebs

10 hours ago, Rich said:

As are the terms "clown whore", "a waste of TIM", and "is Mark King better than Flea?" :lol: 

It would be helpful for any newbie if you could explain at least the outline of what they’re about ? Kind of like “showing him/her where the toilets are”?

figuring out some of “the darker magic” of basschat could take quite a bit of thread archeology. I’ve been here ten years and I still don’t know the reference behind “a waste of TIM”.  

@ped could we consider adding a glossary? We are getting to a point of jargon-load where there are too many references to obscure things that no newbie can expect to unpick and so integrate ? 

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Geek99 said:

It would be helpful for any newbie if you could explain at least the outline of what they’re about ? Kind of like “showing him/her where the toilets are”?

figuring out some of “the darker magic” of basschat could take quite a bit of thread archeology. I’ve been here ten years and I still don’t know the reference behind “a waste of TIM”.  

In the absence of a full glossary:

"clown whore" -- one former member's now-legendary description of any bassist/musician who does not think of themselves as an 'artist' first and foremost. The rest of his argument was similarly ridiculous. I think he thought of himself as Van Gogh with flatwounds. He was quite rightly ridiculed for his ludicrous pseudointellectual posturing, and stamped off in a fairly spectacular flounce.

"a waste of TIM" -- another former member who failed to sell any of his tat in the Marketplace and, rather than perhaps review his pricing or sales technique, announced that the whole marketplace was 'a complete waste of TIM' (sic) and and stamped off in another fairly spectacular flounce.

"is Mark King better than Flea?" -- from a thread many many moons ago which posed the question "Who is better at slap, Mark King or Flea?". A lot of people felt that this was a bit like comparing apples to oranges as their approaches are so very different, provoking a fair bit of good-natured jocularity. IIRC the member who asked the question did not stamp off in any sort of flounce, spectacular or otherwise. The question has become a bit like a Basschat version of 'what would Jesus do?'.

"is that bass any good for playing metal" -- similar to the King/Flea one above. The question was asked, "what's the best bass for metal?" (to which of course the answer is, you can play metal on absolutely any bass and 'best' is entirely subjective). Again, it provoked much witty japery and the member who posed the query did not put on their flouncing frock.

If I've got any of the above wrong, please correct.

Edited by Rich
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

In the absence of a full glossary:

"clown whore" -- one former member's now-legendary description of any bassist/musician who does not think of themselves as an 'artist' first and foremost. The rest of his argument was similarly ridiculous. I think he thought of himself as Van Gogh with flatwounds. He was quite rightly ridiculed for his ludicrous pseudointellectual posturing, and stamped off in a fairly spectacular flounce.

"a waste of TIM" -- another former member who failed to sell any of his tat in the Marketplace and, rather than perhaps review his pricing or sales technique, announced that the whole marketplace was 'a complete waste of TIM' (sic) and and stamped off in another fairly spectacular flounce.

"is Mark King better than Flea?" -- from a thread many many moons ago which posed the question "Who is better at slap, Mark King or Flea?". A lot of people felt that this was a bit like comparing apples to oranges as their approaches are so very different, provoking a fair bit of good-natured jocularity. IIRC the member who asked the question did not stamp off in any sort of flounce, spectacular or otherwise. The question has become a bit like a Basschat version of 'what would Jesus do?'.

"is that bass any good for playing metal" -- similar to the King/Flea one above. The question was asked, "what's the best bass for metal?" (to which of course the answer is, you can play metal on absolutely any bass and 'best' is entirely subjective). Again, it provoked much witty japery and the member who posed the query did not put on their flouncing frock.

If I've got any of the above wrong, please correct.

That’s glossary 1.0, ready made, right there. Good work mister 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Reggaebass said:

That’s the best expression I’ve heard in a long time Rich, I’m gonna steal that one 😁

That comes from a farcebook group of which I'm a member. If anyone in the group ever takes umbrage about something and announces that they're leaving the group, we all start posting pics of the most ridiculous frocks/ballgowns we can find in a 'bye Felicia' sort of way. It's our way of making their dramatic gesture look silly.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rich said:

That comes from a farcebook group of which I'm a member. If anyone in the group ever takes umbrage about something and announces that they're leaving the group, we all start posting pics of the most ridiculous frocks/ballgowns we can find in a 'bye Felicia' sort of way. It's our way of making their dramatic gesture look silly.

Superb 👍