Why become a member? ×

Hello I'm a 15 year old bassist from bedfordshire

Harryb0201

If I have one thing to suggest, it’s “read a lot of technique books until you find the right one” 

No point soldiering in with one that isn’t reaching you. Like when you get a new maths teacher and they do it differently and you just get it... totally 

and

don’t give in to GAS (gear acquisition syndrome), the gear you have right now is probably more capable than you are. mine is light years ahead of me. 

• Like 1

Hi Harry -

I started playing at 12/13, I’d say play for fun, find mates to play with and enjoy it.

Listen to all types of music no matter how ‘uncool’ it may be.

Be patient - I remember someone telling me in 1998 “you never stop learning” - and they were right.

Practice - but spend time listening. Wish I’d learned to listen earlier instead of just hearing...

Basschat is an amazing resource, I’ve been here 11 years nearly. Some of the people I’ve met through here have become good friends - but there’s an absolute wealth of knowledge and wisdom to go at.

When posting for advice - explain where you’re up to and the good folk here will guide you.

Enjoy playing bass though - it’s been a real door opener for me, and continues to be so.

take care dude - look forward to seeing you post 👍🏼

• Like 5

Hi Harry,

I didn’t pick up a bass until I was 31 and do wish I’d started around your age!

I can only echo what Andy says above, especially about listening to all types of music, I play some songs I’d never have thought of listening to ...

Most of all have fun and plenty of practice! 😃👍🏻

• Like 3

Welcome mate!

I was about your age when I first started to learn the drums. 28 now, recently picked up the Bass. You won’t regret learning an instrument dude! It teaches you an awful lot and makes you grow massively as a person - I reckon so anyway! 

There’s a wealth of knowledge readily available these days, quickly finding out that this place is an awesome resource, loads of people willing to help you out on this for sure. YouTube obviously is rammed full of people dishing out techniques for free, loads of good Bass interviews and bass related music history sort of stuff on there to chuck on for a nice bit of background noise too! 

As for playing mate, just enjoy it! Take it seriously but don’t take it seriously. In the sense that you wanna push yourself sometimes, but don’t be too hard on yourself constantly that it frustrates you. Learn / listen to things that you didn’t think you would be interested in as much as it’s important to listen & learn things you properly are interested in. (Cause nothing feels better to jamming to your favourite tunes to keep you into it!)

It (might!) not happen over night. For the majority of the world, learning any instrument is a slow burner. Honestly though, you’ll look back in a year, couple years or even like 6 months from now and be like ‘woah - didn’t realise how much I’ve learnt’ 

look forward to seeing your posts dude! Enjoy. 

Thanks to everyone who replied I will definatly take all of your advice since you are all much more experienced than me. I have also started a YouTube channel last week called h.b bass covers so feel free to check it out and comment ect.

• Like 2

Hi Harry and welcome :)

I echo everything this lot have already said. Also -- play along with stuff, no matter where you hear it. I remember seeing an interview with Billy Sheehan where he said that he used to keep his bass with him even when he was watching TV, and when the adverts came on he'd play along with them. Theme tunes, likewise. Any music that cropped up, he'd pick the tune out. It's fun and it all helps.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Harryb0201 said:

Teebs is that a westone thunder you have on your profile?

It is! :)

It's the 'Tiger Bass' that I got in 1993 - the stripes were painted by me about a year later. It was my first bass - every 'proper' gig I ever played and every recording when I was in a band was played with this.

I still have it :)

What do you play Harry?

1 minute ago, Teebs said:

It is! :)

It's the 'Tiger Bass' that I got in 1993 - the stripes were painted by me about a year later. It was my first bass - every 'proper' gig I ever played and every recording when I was in a band was played with this.

I still have it :)

What do you play Harry?

I have a westone thunder 1a fretless and a fender mim jazz bass

• Like 1

:crigon_04:

2 minutes ago, Harryb0201 said:

Thanks for the advice and what basses do you guys currently use?

Some folks here are happy with just one bass, whilst others have collections that will leave you wide eyed with wonder (it certainly works on me).

For my part, I have 4 basses, one Rob Allen MB2 and three Maruszczyks (a P type, a J type and a fretless MM type). This year I made a conscious decision to play predominantly fretless and my Maruszczyk fretless has been my main stay, go to bass since then. 

As mentioned above, BC is a dangerous place for Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) - BEWARE! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, ezbass said:

:crigon_04:

Some folks here are happy with just one bass, whilst others have collections that will leave you wide eyed with wonder (it certainly works on me).

For my part, I have 4 basses, one Rob Allen MB2 and three Maruszczyks (a P type, a J type and a fretless MM type). This year I made a conscious decision to play predominantly fretless and my Maruszczyk fretless has been my main stay, go to bass since then. 

As mentioned above, BC is a dangerous place for Gear Acquisition Syndrome (GAS) - BEWARE! 😂

Haha yes after browsing this site I have seen some amazing basses but at the same time I am really happy with what I alredy have and I'm only 15 so I don't need really high end stuff. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Harryb0201 said:

Teebs is that a westone thunder you have on your profile?

No 15 year old should know this, they are so totally before your time back when gear was expensive and not very good ... lucky I’ve never found out about the jazz bass isn’t it ...

15 minutes ago, Harryb0201 said:

That’s a whole new thread! 😂 

I gig a Status S2 (4 string headed) but have a few others at home to practice on. All very different . A sadowsky, a couple of fenders and a shuker custom. Take a look at basses on the settee thread they are all on there  

i can’t find your YouTube channel mate? 

Edited by bassfan
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Harryb0201 said:

Haha yes after browsing this site I have seen some amazing basses but at the same time I am really happy with what I alredy have and I'm only 15 so I don't need really high end stuff. 

Yes, leave that to the old folks 😛

seriously that’s a very sensible attitude 

Just now, Geek99 said:

No 15 year old should know this, they are so totally before your time back when gear was expensive and not very good ... lucky I’ve never found out about the jazz bass isn’t it ...

Yes but I do have interests in music gear and my dad is a drummer so he knows quite a few musicians who I have learnt things from

1 minute ago, bassfan said:

That’s a whole new thread! 😂 

I gig a Status S2 (4 string headed) but have a few others at home to practice on. All very different . 

i can’t find your YouTube channel mate? 

Is there a way I can send a link?

25 minutes ago, Harryb0201 said:

DSC_0003_1591614956000_1591614970998.jpg

The first time these have all been together.

Back row: Westone 1A Thunder ('Tiger Bass'); Gretsch Junior Jet II; Aria Pro II Magna; Challenge violin bass (21st present in 1996 :o ); PRS Kingfisher:

Front row: Squier VM Jazz; Kit build Precision ('Il Pavone'); Yamaha BB434.

:)

Edited by Teebs
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Harryb0201 said:

Yes but I do have interests in music gear and my dad is a drummer so he knows quite a few musicians who I have learnt things from

Just teasing You - people on here are constantly reminiscing about the Encore jazz bass copy they painted purple and their first Westone ...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Teebs said:

DSC_0003_1591614956000_1591614970998.jpg

The first time these have all been together.

Back row: Westone 1A Thunder ('Tiger Bass'); Gretsch Junior Jet II; Aria Pro II Magna; Challenge violin bass (21st present in 1996 :o ); PRS Kingfisher:

Front row: Squier VM Jazz; Kit build Precision ('Il Pavone'); Yamaha BB434.

:)

Nice stuff man

• Thanks 1