Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot head

isteen

I've got one of these, series 6, but where your's says model number mine got  200 watts written in it, or so it says, it's bloody loud I know that, fine amps as are all the Trace models,  I've also got an SMX and the writing on the back of that is nearly ineligible, depends what pen they used at the time 😊.

The weight might be a clue to wattage, mines a fairly manageable 13Kg  and hasn't got a fan, but the higher wattage ones were a lot heavier  with a fan,

Edited by PaulWarning

Looks like an AH200.  Great amp, not very heavy, plenty powerful.  Run with any modern light cab...and smile.  Just start without the pre-shape, and a flat eq.  If the graphic eq doesn’t make sense then google the TE manual...

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

I've got one of these, series 6, but where your's says model number mine got  200 watts written in it, or so it says, it's bloody loud I know that, fine amps as are all the Trace models,  I've also got an SMX and the writing on the back of that is nearly ineligible, depends what pen they used at the time 😊.

The weight might be a clue to wattage, mines a fairly manageable 13Kg  and hasn't got a fan, but the higher wattage ones were a lot heavier  with a fan,

I think this one has got a fan, not sure about the weight

1 hour ago, BassBod said:

Looks like an AH200.  Great amp, not very heavy, plenty powerful.  Run with any modern light cab...and smile.  Just start without the pre-shape, and a flat eq.  If the graphic eq doesn’t make sense then google the TE manual...

Not really familiar with that graphic EQ - or that level slider. Is there a link to that manual you refer to?

32 minutes ago, isteen said:

I think this one has got a fan, not sure about the weight

you can see the fan at the back, either that or the cooling fins,  most of the series 6's seem to be 200 watts, but with Trace Elliot you never know,

I too would say an AH200 - extremely loud and probably, in perceived volume terms, easily the equal of most 700/800 watt rated class D amps.  I've had plenty of both and still have a Series 6 AH200 and a Bergantino BAmp - the former seems to be the louder amp.  On a related theme, I've had a Series IV and two Series 6 amps in the past 18 months and they've all had a noticeable hum at idle.  I think the hum just comes with the amp - surely not a coincidence in three units (and probably getting louder as they get older).

As others have said it's an AH200S. The 12-band graphic differentiates it from the AH100S which had a 7-band graphic. The 'S' stands for sleeve as they were available with or without their wooden housing.

A great amp and it looks like the AH200s, regarding the hum, all amps of a certain age will start to hum, check the capacitors in the power supply, if they look swollen, replace with new ones, I would change them anyway regardless !    

a bit of hum not a big problem, as long as you can't hear it while you're playing, at least you know they're working, our old guitarist thought his amp had packed up, very unhappy about having to use my spare TE for the gig, turns out that just the power light bulb had blown 😂