Why become a member? ×

Vintage Basses?

ClassicVibes

Little confused on what pickups are in which Vintage basses.

For example, the V4VW has the Wilkinson BP (M) WBP single coil pickup but the V4MVW has the Wilkinson WOBP single coil pickup.

The only difference between these basses aside from the pup is that one has a rosewood neck, one has a maple neck. 

I had this very same issue. I had a standard blk and the v4 icon precision (roadworn).

Couldnt find out which one was which, or what the differences where. The vintage (not the brand) looking ones are supposed to be warmer and more, or, vintage.

The standards, more modern.

They also have different necks. The std having a highly lacquered neck and the vintage v4 icon I had a smooth satin one. Although that may change on some models? 

2 minutes ago, la bam said:

I had this very same issue. I had a standard blk and the v4 icon precision (roadworn).

Couldnt find out which one was which, or what the differences where. The vintage (not the brand) looking ones are supposed to be warmer and more, or, vintage.

The standards, more modern.

They also have different necks. The std having a highly lacquered neck and the vintage v4 icon I had a smooth satin one. Although that may change on some models? 

I have sent JHS a message to try and clear up the confusion.

20 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Some basses just sing with flats don't they? 

They do indeed. I picked up a Rockinbetter Ric faker a few days ago with flatwounds, and they sound dead, like playing with rope.

On the P bass, they sound and feel really good. I am surprised that there's still plenty of treble on them on the p bass. It's been a long long time since I've played a bass with flatwounds.

20 minutes ago, barrycreed said:

They do indeed. I picked up a Rockinbetter Ric faker a few days ago with flatwounds, and they sound dead, like playing with rope.

On the P bass, they sound and feel really good. I am surprised that there's still plenty of treble on them on the p bass. It's been a long long time since I've played a bass with flatwounds.

I had exactly the same experience! Ric copy, bought some flats, loaded them up, sounded pants! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Old thread revival,

So I'm thinking to go view a Vintage V96 Pro-shop? Do people think that a Pro-shop Vintage is worth it? As the cost goes from being £300 to £800+. The Pro-shop V96 has a Wilkinson WJM pickup, Graphtech Black Tusq precision cut nut. 

The Pro-shop comes with pro set up aswell which includes :-

Fret-level, crown and polish.

Fingerboard dress and comfort treatment.

Truss rod adjustment and set.

Action height, radius, intonation and pickup height adjustment.

Nut slot regulation.

Or do you think for around £800 I'm better to look else where?

Not sure about that one the V4 vintage white i have, was already set up really well no faults at all is a great bass.

plus my v4 was made in Vietnam i think,

i dont know where the pro shop are made but i would probably look elsewhere or just buy the basic model?

as they are well setup and manufactured anyway my V4 has no neck pocket gaps everything fits perfect and it was setup with a lovely action put a lot of companies to shame.

• 3 weeks later...

Love my V4, I have a 2019 vintage white model with "rosewood" fretboard. Great quality all round, and the hardware is superb, particularly the tuners (mine are not the huge baseplate ones I was expecting, though they're still Wilkinson branded).

It sounds weird, but one of the most impressive things to me is that the Graphtech nut is perfectly cut, not common even on much spendier basses!

I strung it with Fender flats, and fitted some DiMarzio Model Ps. Predictably far too dark with the standard pots, so fit 500k ones instead. Now it roars like an angry beast 😆

• 1 year later...
6 minutes ago, PaleAngel_90 said:

I'd like to know an actual fact-based opinion in the Vintage V4 Vs Squier Classic 60's Vibe P-bass. No fanboying, just facts please. I'm considering which one to buy and I want good quality that doesn't break my bank account.

I have both! I shall attend to request forthwith

• Like 1

To my ears and hands the essential difference is this. The V4 is chunkier, a little heavier, the neck a little heftier and the output a little more robust.

They have similar strings and action and swapping between the two, the Squire is a less substantial and more nimble instrument, with a less powerful pick up.

However, none of these differences is hugely pronounced, and I am as happy playing one as I am the other.

If we are geographically compatible I'd be delighted to let you have a play with both.

• Like 2

I live in Spain, Canary Islands. Also I've heard that there was an issue with Squier's CV output jack? Something about it being bad quality and breaking easily...

Something I've heard is that the V4 having Wilkinson hardware doesn't have this issue? I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is I'd probably lean more on the Vintage V4 than the Squier 60's CS...

Edited by PaleAngel_90

12 hours ago, PaleAngel_90 said:

I live in Spain, Canary Islands. Also I've heard that there was an issue with Squier's CV output jack? Something about it being bad quality and breaking easily...

Something I've heard is that the V4 having Wilkinson hardware doesn't have this issue? I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is I'd probably lean more on the Vintage V4 than the Squier 60's CS...

Not had a problem with the Squier's input jack. Unfortunately Somerset to the Canaries is a bit too far even to help a fellow Basschatter

4 hours ago, stewblack said:

Not had a problem with the Squier's input jack. Unfortunately Somerset to the Canaries is a bit too far even to help a fellow Basschatter

Please could you perhaps do a video comparison of the two? How they sound, etc... ?  If it's not too much to ask?

Edited by PaleAngel_90