Left leaderboard

Hello people!

I’m keen to follow more bass stuff on YouTube. Who do you recommend? 

I’m big into ‘all about the bass’ on Andertons, Scott’s Devine of Scott’s Bass Lessons is interesting to watch too, not just on the Bass Lessons front but with the interviews he does and the brand history sort of stuff - I love all that kinda thing. Adam Aarts does pretty cool gear demos, particularly of pedals to give you an idea of how it sounds on bass, which is what pushed me to buy my Walrus Audio Slö Reverb (which is nuts by the way - might do a review of that soon)  

I’d quite like to find some more interview sort of stuff cause that’s always cool to watch or stuff that engages the audience somehow, like jam tracks, posting in photos whatever! 

If anyone’s got any recommendations - put them on me! 

Cheers 😁

Ed Friedland (The Bass Whisperer), is a favourite of mine.

He is a pro bassist, who also writes books on how to play bass. His bass reviews are to the point and articulate.

He also tours and records with The Mavericks, a US Mexican/Americana type band.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, gjones said:

He is a pro bassist, who also writes books on how to play bass. His bass reviews are to the point and articulate.

Nice! Thanks mate, instant subscribe. 

• Like 1

Leland Sklar is who I've been watching. He's played on more tracks than anyone else and whilst not every episode has him playing, he knows virtually everyone and has an anecdote from almost every session he has done.

• Like 6

My favourite (because he plays a lot of 70's/80's soul/boogie/disco) is a guy called BelgaBass. A man of few words, but his playing is on point. Often playing very tasty pieces of vintage gear too.

• Like 2

Adam Neeley and although not a bassist, Rick Beato for good overall content.

Coversolutions, Luke from become a bassist and Talkingbass for lessons and such.

Never really got into Davie504. Andertons are good, especially now chappers isn't about. Ed Friedland is great, not so keen on Scott Devine, too much noodling.

BassBuzz can be pretty good for beginner stuff.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I've just been watching Anna Sentina. Very impressive playing. She's a multi instrumentalist and collaborates with others. Her videos are very well put together and she covers quite a few styles.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Lilchoccarrier

Of course Guy Pratts lockdown licks are the best!

Edited by mep
  • Like 2

Travis Dykes. Nashville based if I recall correctly, Gospel and Church bassist. Got that hip modern thing going on for lessons, blogs and covers. 

• Like 1

For me there's no doubt about it that Mark Smith's Talking Bass site is the one to go to. https://www.talkingbass.net/

Unlike some (ahem Davie 504) he's not about showing what he can do although he's a master of the instrument. He cuts to the chase and offers very clear explanations of how to learn certain techniques. His lessons on slap are excellent. 

• Like 5

You want on point reviews our very own @Dood aka Dan Veal From Guitar interactive magazine gives very good demo’s.

Avoid Patrick Hunter, he makes every pedal sound exactly the same no matter what they are, Basstheworld are reasonable with some nice players, they will showcase the instrument - but - Male your own mind up on the stuff they show, they will never give a negative review as they are paid by the company they are reviewing to do a review so it won’t be entirely impartial.

Mr Excane Demi’s are good.

Rock Beato is absolute gold dust

• Like 3

4 hours ago, davegriffiths91 said:

Big fan of Janek Gwizdalas stuff.

Adam Neely and Rick Beato as previously mentioned too. 

+1 to these - Bass Man Jack's channel and Tom Kenrick's (Free Bass Transcriptions) are pretty good too. An additional "non bass related" is Aimee Nolte, a jazz pianist in California - does a lot of music theory based lessons like Rick Beato.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, gjones said:

This is a guy who knows how to write a great bass tuition book (like Stuart Clayton) - must have at least half a dozen of Ed's books 🙂

Loads of great suggestions on this. Nice one. Cheers people! 

Bass Buzz is awesome, his explanation and music offerings for scales as shown here knock SBL into the dust, no money changing hands either..Sorry Scott.. 

• Like 1

Bobby Vega. Just ‘cause he’s Bobby Vega Really. Not particularly instructional, though instructive nonetheless

• Like 1

👍 to Dagan from PMT TV. Although it's clear he's mainly a guitarist he has a good presentational style and has put up some good 'shows'  on great cheap/budget basses and guitars

The only bass-related channel I've watched much of is Davie504's stuff.

I'm not sure I understand all of the humour, but he does make me laugh.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.