Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass YouTubers ..

Gonzo192

8 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I recently come across one who does everything I dislike. Charles Berthoud. His entire thing seems to be taking a decent song and cramming in as many extra notes as possible to ruin it

I haven’t seen any of his but there’s lots of bad ones out there, especially on the reggae front 

2 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

I recently come across one who does everything I dislike. Charles Berthoud. His entire thing seems to be taking a decent song and cramming in as many extra notes as possible to ruin it

To each their own. I really like Charles, he does something unique, his stuff is really unlike any other bassists' out there currently. I am not just talking about the pristine technique, but for me, he keeps it very musical. I'd like to highlight, I am usually also one of those people who dislikes cramming in too much and overcomplicating simple stuff, I can't listen to the likes of the bass gods like Victor Wooten for too long before their complex interpretations overwhelm me. But somehow with Charles, it does not cross a boundary for me, he keeps it fun.

He basically made me restart playing after skipping 10+ years. :) 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cici bass is someone I recently come across on YouTube. Her gear demo videos are generally really good, creative playing to show the product capabilities nicely.

It's the music videos I enjoy more though, it's a million miles from the usual youtuber slap fest and much more creative.  This one I think is brilliant, definitely a bit of Cliff Burton influence in there.

• Like 2

I've recently started recording all my own review videos for Bass Gear Magazine based in Ohio. Yes, I still write for Bass Player Magazine as I have been every month for the last (nearly) two and a half years, but I would love for you to follow this magazine and YouTube channel too!

https://www.bassgearmag.com

https://www.youtube.com/c/BassGearMagazine/videos

It does mean that I've not been posting to my own channel, but would really appreciate a follow there too, please!!

https://www.youtube.com/c/DanVeallBassist

I want to produce the best videos I can, so I'll be keeping an eye on threads like these to improve my content!

Doooooooood!

• Like 3

I quite like Charles Berthoud and Davie504's grown on me. Mind you you don't actually lean much from these guys. I posted before but I'll do so again...Mark Smith from Talking Bass is the man. No gimmicks, no chatting endlessly before getting down to business, Devine stylee (though i do like SD). Get's straight down to the point i.e. the tutorials but in a friendly and clear delivered manner. Even as an experienced player I'm still leaning a lot through Talking Bass

https://www.talkingbass.net/is-it-luck-les-claypools-crazy-bass-riff-tabs-and-tutorial/

Charles Berthoud's whole thing seems to be take a great, simple song and ruin it by completely over playing and jamming in 20 times as many notes.

There's also is "when you have 30 seconds to audition for ......." where he takes one of that bands riffs and completely ruins it by jamming in a million unnecessary notes to create something that sounds OK as a solo piece but would never work in a band

4 hours ago, SteveXFR said:

Charles Berthoud's whole thing seems to be take a great, simple song and ruin it by completely over playing and jamming in 20 times as many notes.

There's also is "when you have 30 seconds to audition for ......." where he takes one of that bands riffs and completely ruins it by jamming in a million unnecessary notes to create something that sounds OK as a solo piece but would never work in a band

...but why would I watch someone play an already great bassline as is? :)  Yeah, "overplaying" is his thing, but at least he keeps it groovy.

I can't stand the Devine style. All that talk, then some non-groovy technique-y riff with bends, hammers, weird timings and melodies, my head never ever bobs to his playing.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, whave said:

I can't stand the Devine style. All that talk, then some non-groovy technique-y riff with bends, hammers, weird timings and melodies, my head never ever bobs to his playing.

All his videos are the same. A couple minutes talking about his morning, some jazz noodling, talking about "holding down the low end" then the last quarter is actual playing technique where he'll mention as many old session players as possible in between playing. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'd reccomend Bass Advisor for reviews of cheap basses. It's in Spanish but most videos have subtitles. Although the guy seem to be sponsored by a shop, he's very frank. I love how blunt he is in pointing out things that do not work in a bass such as fretwork being "frankly bad" or pickups that he "honestly do not like the sound" of. That's all normal stuff for cheap basses but surprisingly you do not hear that very much in other channels.

6 minutes ago, Grassie said:

the one who plays the Washburn Taurus

Is that coversolutions , if so he’s a really good player and there’s so many covers,

Constantine is a member here but haven’t heard from him for quite a while 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Reggaebass said:

Is that coversolutions , if so he’s a really good player and there’s so many covers,

I think you're right. He's very good, his tabs are usually spot on, unlike every other person who shares tabs on the Internet! Really good playing plus it's well filmed so you can see exactly what his hands are doing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reggaebass said:

Constantine is a member here but haven’t heard from him for quite a while 

That’s the fella. 😊

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Grassie said:

I like Nate Navarro’s stuff, Constantine Isslamow, that guy Troy with the amazing masks/heads behind him, and the one who plays the Washburn Taurus. 😊

Nate's a great player. He's been getting some good gigs lately too. He toured with Devin Townsend a year or two back, and he's just been announced as the bass player on Porcupine Tree's upcoming reunion tour. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Russ said:

Nate's a great player. He's been getting some good gigs lately too. He toured with Devin Townsend a year or two back, and he's just been announced as the bass player on Porcupine Tree's upcoming reunion tour. 

Wow! I thought that Porcupine Tree gig would’ve gone to Nick Beggs. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Whilst searching out demos of specific sets of strings I came across a guy called Juan Modesto, who has only done a handful of short videos. I’ve listened to this one, demoing the RS77LD set of Roto flats, dozens of times. Really lovely playing.

Those are very high tension strings but you wouldn't think it from the seemingly effortless way he gets so much bite out of them.

Love the way his head bobs about too ;)