Why become a member? ×

Your favourite bass YouTubers ..

Gonzo192

On 06/06/2020 at 22:20, yorks5stringer said:

Leland Sklar is who I've been watching. He's played on more tracks than anyone else and whilst not every episode has him playing, he knows virtually everyone and has an anecdote from almost every session he has done.

Love Lee Sklar’s videos

Check out his play alongs  with James Taylor snd Carol King. Perfect examples of playing to serve the song.

I think this thread has summed up most of my favourite YT bassists.  Add in Kinga , as she’s released some Epico videos.

Top pro drummers seem to have lots of drum cam videos on YT.  It’s a shame there aren’t more bass cam videos.  I found one from V-man and one from Tony Levin, but not much more. 

• 3 weeks later...

Any of the bass channels I’ve tried were a bit dry (although there are some on here I haven’t seen). I also dabble in the dark side that is guitar and I always enjoy guys like Ryan Bruce and Ola Englund because they are light-hearted as well as providing reviews, tips etc. Are there any of the channels listed in that sort of vein or does anyone know of any?

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, that is a tough question actually. I would have to choose out of Ed Friedland (I have been following him for more than 5 years!), Travis Dykes (I have found his channel a couple of months ago), and the last one would be Janek Gwizdalas as he is just amazing! I am also thinking about becoming a bass youtuber, as I have got some skills and I guess that would help me to improve my skills. I have already read this guide https://vlogtribe.com/how-to-become-youtuber/ and I actually think I could become a good youtuber.

Edited by BanKick

What do you all look for in a YouTube video? What do you want to see more of, what do you want to see less of?

Are short five minute videos touching on the key areas better for you than 15-20 minute offerings that go in to greater detail? (How to use something or more available sound examples)

Please quote me and comment as I (like I am sure all videographers and vloggers) would be interested to find out!

• 3 months later...
On 05/07/2020 at 00:34, Chrisbassboy5 said:

Bass Buzz is awesome, his explanation and music offerings for scales as shown here knock SBL into the dust, no money changing hands either..Sorry Scott.. 

I'm gonna vote for Bass Buzz too! Really helpful and informative and nothing flash.

He does include a bit of humour, not too much, about the right amount maybe. and not too zany or wacky 😕

I've watched half a dozen in the last few days and I don't want to strangle him yet - so must be doing something roght!

Try this one:

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I'm gonna vote for Bass Buzz too! Really helpful and informative and nothing flash.

He does include a bit of humour, not too much, about the right amount maybe. and not too zany or wacky 😕

I've watched half a dozen in the last few days and I don't want to strangle him yet - so must be doing something roght!

Try this one:

I notice a terrible habit he has of playing with the second joint of his forefinger. Not that it's bad technique, but it must be awfully confusing for beginners as it looks like he is fretting the  wrong string.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I notice a terrible habit he has of playing with the second joint of his forefinger. Not that it's bad technique, but it must be awfully confusing for beginners as it looks like he is fretting the  wrong string.

I hadn't noticed, but agree it would be confusing to an observer.

I guess it's one of the golden rules for youtube lessons... don't just play the right note, but be seen to play the right note. My pet hate is un-dotted fretboards.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

Try this one:

I don't watch these things very often (laziness, rather than 'There's nowt they can teach me!') but if I did, I'd probably watch this guy. Never seen him before, but he's very good.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2021 at 08:36, Leonard Smalls said:

I do like a bit of Charles...

I watched that video recently and really disliked it. Three bloody awful versions of a great classic. 

He's a bit of a bargain basement Davie504 and I don't like him much either although he's improved recently. 

15 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

It's funny because I watched that video recently and really liked it. Three seriously musical improvements on a slightly dirge-y rock song.

Still, it takes all sorts!

The original has to be one of the greatest rock bass lines, simple but to the point and effective. For me, it's the simplicity that made it so great. 

When rock gets all fancy that's when prog happens and no one wants that

• Haha 2