Why become a member? ×

Active pups passive bass

Quilly

Hi there 

i currently have a 2008 Mayones Jabba 4 with modded circuitry. At one stage I think it was an active bass and was converted to passive, it sounds great but a little ‘dark’ (ie not much top end “zing”. I wonder should I replace the Delano pickups . I’m guessing these were designed with an onboard preamp in mind .. the capacitor is “normal” as far as I can tell .

24112C89-A4BC-4F47-AA3A-816A212D2FD9.jpeg

1789A3C1-7196-40D5-8C56-EDC8772FF0BF.jpeg

That’s another option but it’s doesn’t have a battery slot ...I dunno the history of this bass at all . I might just ask Mayones...I was thinking about a John East preamp 🤔

Edited by Quilly

Is it possible that the battery  lived in the control panel rather than having its own compartment ?    Is there's room for a battery , if so, maybe that's where it lived.

Unless of course it was never active in the first place  ?

The Delano pickups should have plenty of top end. What are the pot values? If they're 250k you could try changing them to 500k which would brighten up the sound. 

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, ikay said:

The Delano pickups should have plenty of top end. What are the pot values? If they're 250k you could try changing them to 500k which would brighten up the sound. 

It’s a 473k which should be ok 🤔

These Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 big powerful magnets pickups are quite dark indeed when used with 250 KOhms pots and 47nF capacitor, which is a standard wiring. Putting 500 KOhms or even 1MOhms pots with 22nF capacitor will brighten up the sound a lot.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hellzero said:

These Delano JMVC 4 FE/M2 big powerful magnets pickups are quite dark indeed when used with 250 KOhms pots and 47nF capacitor, which is a standard wiring. Putting 500 KOhms or even 1MOhms pots with 22nF capacitor will brighten up the sound a lot.

Yes. Or just take out the tone control completely and increase the pot value as suggested. Or to be more radical bypass the volume altogether and make sure the input of your amp or DI etc is high ie 1M0 or above.

• Like 1