Jump to content
Chewie

Selling and sending a bass to Europe

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Chewie said:

Thank you for this.

How do you prefer to receive the money?

This chap wants to do PayPal but surely I’ll get charged?

They send the money by Paypal gift / friends and family. It means theres no charges and ensures they cant claim the money back at a later date.

Edited by Acebassmusic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Acebassmusic said:

They send the money by Paypal gift / friends and family. It means theres no charges and ensures they cant claim the money back at a later date.

It’ll be quite a bit more money, PayPal’s exchange rate isn’t very favourable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a really helpful thread - thanks Chewie! - and the replies are giving me more confidence to consider couriers.

I’ve currently got a bass for sale on the site where I have referenced I’m not looking at using a courier, but I completely understand that this will limit any interest.

Has anyone used DPD at all (in UK or Europe)? Also, in terms of payment, is it as simple as giving someone UK bank account details and they transfer the funds - or is that a big no-no?! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

This is a really helpful thread - thanks Chewie! - and the replies are giving me more confidence to consider couriers.

I’ve currently got a bass for sale on the site where I have referenced I’m not looking at using a courier, but I completely understand that this will limit any interest.

Has anyone used DPD at all (in UK or Europe)? Also, in terms of payment, is it as simple as giving someone UK bank account details and they transfer the funds - or is that a big no-no?! 

I suspect Transferwise is more cost effective for both sides than Paypal.  There is typically a small fee, but the exchange rate quoted is pretty good, and you can request you receive a fixed amount of Sterling in your bank account (i.e. the purchaser has the exchange rate risk and given where the value of Sterling is at the minute, i guess most European bass players are eager purchasers!).  If you enter your Sterling Bank Account details in Transferwise you just have to give your purchaser your e-mail address.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Old Man Riva said:

This is a really helpful thread - thanks Chewie! - and the replies are giving me more confidence to consider couriers.

I’ve currently got a bass for sale on the site where I have referenced I’m not looking at using a courier, but I completely understand that this will limit any interest.

Has anyone used DPD at all (in UK or Europe)? Also, in terms of payment, is it as simple as giving someone UK bank account details and they transfer the funds - or is that a big no-no?! 

Transferwise is fast (money on your bank account within 1 day, and yes IBAN needed), very good interface/user experience and have better rates then say PayPal.

Other good advice already mentioned, use a courier that do the whole job (same company collects as delivers), tracking is easy and up to date.

We used Tranferwise and UPS,  bought a bass here on Basschat a few weeks ago from a Danish guy, and I'm in the Netherlands, very smooth transaction. Btw, very interesting bass you have for sale, so if you ever consider a courier .... 😉 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

This is a really helpful thread - thanks Chewie! - and the replies are giving me more confidence to consider couriers.

I’ve currently got a bass for sale on the site where I have referenced I’m not looking at using a courier, but I completely understand that this will limit any interest.

Has anyone used DPD at all (in UK or Europe)? Also, in terms of payment, is it as simple as giving someone UK bank account details and they transfer the funds - or is that a big no-no?! 

I used DPD the other week to take an instrument to France. Booked through Eurosender.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all, advice and info really appreciated, and really helpful.

I think if I agree what I’m after in £s then that feels the most straightforward way of doing things, certainly from a seller point of view.

Seems that if I use a courier that covers the whole journey (relating to an overseas journey) and offers insurance then it may not be such a bad way of doing things.

If I’m honest I don’t know why I’m so reluctant to do it. In recent years I’ve purchased two basses through the site from overseas sellers (one in Denmark and the other in Czech Republic) and both have been hassle-free and straightforward experiences - obviously helped that the sellers were excellent!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chewie said:

What's the best way for me to get paid, in your opinion?

I've received and paid via bank transfer and Paypal. I guess bank transfer is my favourite but I'll go with the Paypal if the other guy really wants to.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Thanks all, advice and info really appreciated, and really helpful.

I think if I agree what I’m after in £s then that feels the most straightforward way of doing things, certainly from a seller point of view.

Seems that if I use a courier that covers the whole journey (relating to an overseas journey) and offers insurance then it may not be such a bad way of doing things.

If I’m honest I don’t know why I’m so reluctant to do it. In recent years I’ve purchased two basses through the site from overseas sellers (one in Denmark and the other in Czech Republic) and both have been hassle-free and straightforward experiences - obviously helped that the sellers were excellent!!

That’s the crux of it, I think.  The seller has to be willing and capable.  You’re praying that they’re excellent.  The onus is on them completely.  They have to source the box, package it, wait for the courier et cetera.... Insure it correctly...... it’s time, expense and effort..... exchange rates, language barriers (to a certain extent).....
 

Im the seller/vendor in this instance & there is an element of trepidation to it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

This is a really helpful thread - thanks Chewie! - and the replies are giving me more confidence to consider couriers.

I’ve currently got a bass for sale on the site where I have referenced I’m not looking at using a courier, but I completely understand that this will limit any interest.

Has anyone used DPD at all (in UK or Europe)? Also, in terms of payment, is it as simple as giving someone UK bank account details and they transfer the funds - or is that a big no-no?! 

No worries Riva,

Our European brothers and sisters need us.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you've successfully sold a bass abroad, that trepidation will pass. I've sold more basses than I remember to those overseas, Mostly to Europe, but some to USA, Brazil, Russia (Russia was a concern as they have a habit of 'losing' large private parcels from the UK). But all have arrived with no issue. If you follow the basic rules (insurance, packaging, money clearing etc) then you'll be fine.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

Has anyone used DPD at all (in UK or Europe)?

Yes.............both to and from Belgium.

They are certainly one of the better ones in my experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apologies for being a total klutz, but... I’m really struggling with Transferwise!

I’ve created an account (in order to receive money) but it’s asking me to deposit monies into my Transferwise account via a (my) debit card in order to receive an IBAN number - is this correct?!

Can I not just simply give a buyer (UK or overseas) my bank details and they transfer the money in rather than Transferwise et al?

I’m an analogue man in a digital world... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't recall putting money 'into' transferwise (o was it a nominal amount to ensure correct account).  Your bank will have an iban number for your account it isn't attributed by anyone.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I don't recall putting money 'into' transferwise (o was it a nominal amount to ensure correct account).  Your bank will have an iban number for your account it isn't attributed by anyone.  

Aye, I think I’m making a right old pig’s ear of it. It’s asking me to deposit 20euros?

I imagine someone inside the app (a la the Numbskulls from The Beezer - one for the older readers) pi##ing themselves laughing as they watch me struggle with the modern world...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, warwickhunt said:

I don't recall putting money 'into' transferwise (o was it a nominal amount to ensure correct account).  Your bank will have an iban number for your account it isn't attributed by anyone.  

Thank you, sir... I think I've sussed it. Apparently I've now got to a stage with Transferwise where all a buyer would need is my email address, as per Piers advice above.

In reality I've probably given the deeds to the house away..!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Old Man Riva said:

Thank you, sir... I think I've sussed it. Apparently I've now got to a stage with Transferwise where all a buyer would need is my email address, as per Piers advice above.

In reality I've probably given the deeds to the house away..!

You definitely didn’t sign up to transferwives by accident? 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone else noticed eurosender are quoting ridiculous prices for shipping at the moment. I was quoted €600 for shipping an amp and €200 for a bass the last couple of weeks. I even asked them why it was so expensive and they said that's just the price.... So I pointed out I could use DPD directly for far less. I don't know where the logic is in their pricing but I certainly won't bother again with them! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, attackbass said:

Has anyone else noticed eurosender are quoting ridiculous prices for shipping at the moment. I was quoted €600 for shipping an amp and €200 for a bass the last couple of weeks. I even asked them why it was so expensive and they said that's just the price.... So I pointed out I could use DPD directly for far less. I don't know where the logic is in their pricing but I certainly won't bother again with them! 

What options are you selecting on their website? You need to select "package or suitcase" when getting a quote rather than " non-standard". It's confusing because it tells you to use non standard for musical instruments.  I've used them a couple of times and DPD have been used as the courier, which I'm happy about as I find them the best. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, pre lockdown I used them it was fine.

 

Selecting package/suitcase, doing everything as before and still awfully expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/06/2020 at 09:42, attackbass said:

Yep, pre lockdown I used them it was fine.

 

Selecting package/suitcase, doing everything as before and still awfully expensive. 

Courier prices are all over the place.

 

Shipped a bass to Hungary last Thursday, DPD £29 🙂

On the Friday I wanted to ship a bass to Cambridge. Parcelforce £35 !!

 

Tried Eurosender. £29 including the £1000 insurance cover.

 

Both basses delivered safely by DPD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

Courier prices are all over the place.

 

Shipped a bass to Hungary last Thursday, DPD £29 🙂

On the Friday I wanted to ship a bass to Cambridge. Parcelforce £35 !!

 

Tried Eurosender. £29 including the £1000 insurance cover.

 

Both basses delivered safely by DPD.

How did you get eurosender for £29? 

 

I was thinking about dpd but when I was getting a price they say they won't accept parcels over 120cm long.

 

Currently looking at DHL for insurance and delivery. 

 

Sorry for hijacking this thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eurosender accept parcels much bigger that 120cm... I've just had a parcel collected to go to Germany fully insured for £1000 and it was 135cm x 55cm x 20cm and it cost £49. Not sure how @kodiakblair got it for £29 considering the £1000 insurance cover is £16 on its own!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...