Why become a member? ×

Selling and sending a bass to Europe

Chewie

Hello guys and gals,

I’m selling a bass to a guy in France.

What do I need to remember?

I need the money to go to my English account, I know that.  I think I need a particular transaction?  Any pearls of wisdom, much appreciated.

Kr

Edited by Chewie

keep the size of the box as short as possible because it will be cheaper to send

I used Eurosender because BC gets a discount BASSCHAT10 is the code IIRC

Also, I always write the delivery name and address ON THE BOX, just in case the label comes off. I also write where it's come from too

17 minutes ago, police squad said:

keep the size of the box as short as possible because it will be cheaper to send

I used Eurosender because BC gets a discount BASSCHAT10 is the code IIRC

Also, I always write the delivery name and address ON THE BOX, just in case the label comes off. I also write where it's come from too

Thank you Police Squad.
That’s good info about Eurosender. 

I need to get a box first.
Have you ever used transferwise.com?

I recently sold an instrument to a guy in France. I used Eurosender, it cost €52, that was fully insured, tracked and took just two days to arrive.

I used a massively over-size box, figuring there’d be crush space. The whole package was 140x70x20cm. I made sure to pack all around the actual flight case with bubble wrap, and packing paper that I’d saved from Amazon parcels.

Print off a copy of the label plus both adresses; yours and the recipient’s, place that inside the case. Stick at least two on the outside of the package.

As far as being paid, try and avoid PayPal, their exchange rate is terrible, we used TransferWise.

• Like 2

Eurosender. Myself and @Hellzero have sent probably 50+ basses from the UK to Belgium and vice versa. 

PayPal works, they'll charge a fee though, so work that out with the buyer to ensure you know what you'll actually end up with. International bank transfers work to, you'll need to get your IBAN number, usually available somewhere in your online banking. Again, they'll charge a fee and you need to be sure on what exchange rate your bank is using as they often use their own rates. 

A hard case is almost essential. Or some EXTREMELY robust packing.

Be sure to insure! I've only had one issue and thank god it was insured! 

Follow your common sense and you'll be fine! 

1 hour ago, ambient said:

I recently sold an instrument to a guy in France. I used Eurosender, it cost €52, that was fully insured, tracked and took just two days to arrive.

I used a massively over-size box, figuring there’d be crush space. The whole package was 140x70x20cm. I made sure to pack all around the actual flight case with bubble wrap, and packing paper that I’d saved from Amazon parcels.

Print off a copy of the label plus both adresses; yours and the recipient’s, place that inside the case. Stick at least two on the outside of the package.

As far as being paid, try and avoid PayPal, their exchange rate is terrible, we used TransferWise.

Thank you Ambient,

Transferwise is the go.

• Like 1

Sent many basses to Europe.

Transferwise has been discussed so I'll add shipping labels

Go OTT with them.  I normally put 2 on each side of the parcel. 6 in total.

The handlers can see and scan without the need to be spinning a box hunting for an address. Parcelforce folks always comment and give the thumbs up when they spot the labels.

6 minutes ago, kodiakblair said:

Sent many basses to Europe.

Transferwise has been discussed so I'll add shipping labels

Go OTT with them.  I normally put 2 on each side of the parcel. 6 in total.

The handlers can see and scan without the need to be spinning a box hunting for an address. Parcelforce folks always comment and give the thumbs up when they spot the labels.

I didn’t think you could insure musical instruments with Parcelforce?

• Like 1

Done TransferWise, IBAN, Revolut - all fine.

So far as delivery company - I try to go with who is the best in the destination country. Did some stuff in Hungary and the guy there told me the national postal service was awful, so don’t use Royal Mail as it transfers it to them hence we used DPD. Have done UPS for the same reason, and also Royal Mail/Parcel force And had no issues.

Key is address exactly correct (I know it sounds obvious) on the parcel and yours - the Senders address too. When sticking it to the parcel if you don’t have one of those clear plastic sticky bags I sellotape over the address print out so that it can’t get wet/Macerated/destroyed easily

Don't skimp on the packaging. Insure as much as you like but the insurance won't cover the disappointment and hassle of a bass turning up damaged.

Use a hard case, not a gig bag. Keep the bass tuned in concert. That maintains the neck in balance with the truss rod. Make sure the bass doesn't move in the case. I then get a bicycle box from the local bike shop. IME they are glad to get rid of them. The Bike box is usually bigger than the bass case so I pack the spaces on all sides with expanded polystyrene. Make sure the case isn't able to move. You can get sheets of expanded polystyrene from DIY stores and they're not expensive.  Bikes are bigger than basses so you'll have to trim the box to size and I gaffer tape all joins and edges.

I've not had an issue with couriering a bass yet or had to deal with an insurance company. Something I'd rather not have to experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A word of caution (personal experience); if you use a courier that doesn't do the whole job (same company collects as delivers), you could find that one part of the system will blame another if there is damage and or loss... you'd think that a claim would be against whoever you booked with but it isn't always as straightforward!  It is just a slim chance but I now ensure it is point to point delivery.

Does the bass you are selling have a bolt on neck?  If so it is going to reduce risk if sent detached, added to which delivery costs will drop.  

As has been pointed out, Parcelforce don't insure instruments; that includes if you pay extra for enhanced cover!

• Like 1

I recently sent my first bass to Europe to a fantastic buyer in Barcelona.  I followed a number of the tips here (UPS were brilliant), Transferwise....if you enter your bank details with transferwise (which you may or may not want to do!) the buyer just needs your e-mail address.  I was advised to ask for payment before agreeing to dispatch the bass.  That means the buyer has got to be confident in the seller.  Hopefully the basschat site gives some visibility as to the quality of the seller, but in the case of my recent sale, we reinforced the trust with a couple of video calls .

The most frustrating thing was getting hold of  a bike box.  My local Halfords is usually happy to get rid of bike boxes, but not during Covid....Computer says no😠   However, you can buy bike boxes for next day delivery on't internet.  It did cost me £16, but they are a really good resource to build a bomb package with

• Like 1

5 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

A word of caution (personal experience); if you use a courier that doesn't do the whole job (same company collects as delivers), you could find that one part of the system will blame another if there is damage and or loss... you'd think that a claim would be against whoever you booked with but it isn't always as straightforward!  It is just a slim chance but I now ensure it is point to point delivery.

Does the bass you are selling have a bolt on neck?  If so it is going to reduce risk if sent detached, added to which delivery costs will drop.  

As has been pointed out, Parcelforce don't insure instruments; that includes if you pay extra for enhanced cover!

Thanks for this.

It’s a french geezer, buying the bass.  He wants to organise it and use UPS.

I want to use Transferwise.com & he preferred PayPal.  

4 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

I recently sent my first bass to Europe to a fantastic buyer in Barcelona.  I followed a number of the tips here (UPS were brilliant), Transferwise....if you enter your bank details with transferwise (which you may or may not want to do!) the buyer just needs your e-mail address.  I was advised to ask for payment before agreeing to dispatch the bass.  That means the buyer has got to be confident in the seller.  Hopefully the basschat site gives some visibility as to the quality of the seller, but in the case of my recent sale, we reinforced the trust with a couple of video calls .

The most frustrating thing was getting hold of  a bike box.  My local Halfords is usually happy to get rid of bike boxes, but not during Covid....Computer says no😠   However, you can buy bike boxes for next day delivery on't internet.  It did cost me £16, but they are a really good resource to build a bomb package with

Thank you.  I have a bike box.  Great idea,

Thank you.

On 06/06/2020 at 14:46, Acebassmusic said:

I usually ask the sender to transfer in GBP. This usually saves you the cost of changing currency (% of total trasnsfer) and any potential losses due to currency fluctuations.

Thank you for this.

How do you prefer to receive the money?

This chap wants to do PayPal but surely I’ll get charged?

5 hours ago, Piers_Williamson said:

A video call/FaceTime is a great idea.

Thank you

6 hours ago, chris_b said:

Don't skimp on the packaging. Insure as much as you like but the insurance won't cover the disappointment and hassle of a bass turning up damaged.

Use a hard case, not a gig bag. Keep the bass tuned in concert. That maintains the neck in balance with the truss rod. Make sure the bass doesn't move in the case. I then get a bicycle box from the local bike shop. IME they are glad to get rid of them. The Bike box is usually bigger than the bass case so I pack the spaces on all sides with expanded polystyrene. Make sure the case isn't able to move. You can get sheets of expanded polystyrene from DIY stores and they're not expensive.  Bikes are bigger than basses so you'll have to trim the box to size and I gaffer tape all joins and edges.

I've not had an issue with couriering a bass yet or had to deal with an insurance company. Something I'd rather not have to experience.

Thank you for this buddy.

What's the best way for me to get paid, in your opinion?

Kr