Why become a member? ×

Best sound (in the room) for home studio - into PA?

JonnyBGood

Hi folks I have a small (can't swing  a cat) home studio and I am getting into bass again after a long long time, my Marcus Miller V3 arrives soon.

I have at my disposal a Yamaha THR10,  Roland Cube 30x and also a Fender Passport 300 Pro portable PA (pic below). I really don't have room (or cash) for a bass combo and just want to get the best room sound with what amps I have. I am thinking the best bet will be into the Passport, will I need some kind of pedal/di/amp sim thing to get the best tone and if so what would be some entry level recommendations?  No intention to gig to so if the latter will make a marginal difference in my situation its probably not worth it. 

I hope to do some recording also ( I have a DAW with Focusrite audio interface)  but I am thinking that's probably a separate issue and a separate thread. Anyhow, mentioned just in case it isn't!

Cheers

Jon

passport.jpg

You probably are looking at adding some sort of Pre-Amp before feeding the bass into the PA, though not necessarily.

However, if you want to do some recording as well, then a Pre-Amp will be your best option.

How do you record your guitar(s)?

Zoom do a few decent multi FX's at a reasonable price, like the B1-Four, or the B3n.

You could also maybe think about something like the Line6, Boss or other modelling Multi FX's. They have the flexibility of adding not only a low latency USB interface, but also Guitar and Bass amp/cab/effects models.

There is also the "dedicated" bass Pre-Amp/DI pedals available, such as the Tech21 Bass Driver, VT Bass, Behringer's inexpensive BDI pedal, and plenty of other options.

I'd argue that a Multi FX would give you more flexibility when recording, as well as having effects to play with. The caveat here though is that you need to spend some time getting your "base" sound, before moving into effects (as you would do with a "normal" guitar/bass > amp > effects setup).

• Like 1

Cheers Skybone. I record acoustic guitars by miking up through my Focusrite interface. For electric guitar  I currently use the THR10 as an interface - don't know whether you are familiar with it but it has several amp/cab models, multifx etc plus ASIO drivers to work as a proper audio interface, so I don't really need another multifx.

The THR10 also has a bass guitar option but very limited, no amp models or anything. Sounds like maybe one of the dedicated preamp/di pedals you mention might be best. Would be nice to have something I could record with as well.

Personally I'd try the bass direct into the Passport and see how you get on before buying anything else. The Marcus Miller will have enough onboard EQ to give you a wide variety of sounds so it would be worth spending some time experimenting before adding FX or amp simulators.

For recording, I'd plug straight into the Focusrite and then use your DAW to change the EQ or  add FX.  

• Like 2

Another vote for the Zoom B1 if what you want is flexibility and simplicity. It really has as many sims and fx options as most of us would ever use and for so little money. For recordings it may be a little noisy but so are most multi-fx units.

As a bonus it is great for silent practice with headphones and has a tuner and metronome/drum machine built in

• Like 1