Why become a member? ×

Flats for mustang bass

Bafflegab

Morning all 

I’m excitedly awaiting a Squier Mustang bass that I bought on here yesterday, haven’t had a new bass day in a long time so that’s gonna be a highlight :)  

I have a barely used set of a Labella flats that I was going to put on it straight away, but on thinking about it properly, these are short scale and I’m not sure if they will fit the mustang, any idea if I’m right there? 

I've also read somewhere that Labella flats aren’t suitable for stringing through body, so it sounds on both counts like I might need some new flats. 

Any recommendations?  I like a light gauge, these Labellas are 37-96, and my D’Addario rounds on my other shorties are 40-100 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Bafflegab said:

Thanks both, what is the tension like on those?  Reasonable match for the rounds I use?

I'd say out of all the flats I've had on Mustangs, the La Bellas felt the most 'right' to me. Tension was just about right, the E had definition that wasn't there with other flats I'd tried. Can't help with rounds though, I haven't played with any for about 25 years 😆

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Bafflegab said:

Thanks both, what is the tension like on those?  Reasonable match for the rounds I use?

I find the tension on the Labellas really nice but then I also use slightly heavier gauge strings generally - 105-45 on long scales. 

My mustang is currently wearing d’addario roundwounds, medium scale, 110-50 gauge which when combined with the shorter scale actually feel really comfortable. It had very light gauge strings on when I bought it - 95s or something - but I couldn’t really dig in on those.

Sorry thanks just muddied the waters hasn’t it!

Its definitely worth trying the Labella mustang flats as they’re designed with that bass in mind, and they do feel and sound just right.