gareth

Seller cow poop

I asked the seller of a bass how much it weighed and got this reply

Hi, just weighed it. With thepickup cover and tailpiece cover on, it is 9.6lbs. Remember that this is the special vintage issue with the very dense original type rosewood fretboard! Even the pickguard is thicker and therefore heavier than normal, same goes for the original style ‘62 Precision pickup which is would with a different gauge of wire, and I think, with stronger magnets. You wouldn’t believe the difference that all these little changes make! Cheers”

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, gareth said:

Hi, just weighed it. With thepickup cover and tailpiece cover on, it is 9.6lbs. Remember that this is the special vintage issue with the very dense original type rosewood fretboard! Even the pickguard is thicker and therefore heavier than normal, same goes for the original style ‘62 Precision pickup which is would with a different gauge of wire, and I think, with stronger magnets. You wouldn’t believe the difference that all these little changes make! Cheers”

Not that bad.

Only one use of "vintage"  but several missed several chances to insert "Rare" into the reply 😁

• Like 2

The assumption that the buyer knows less than the seller.

Just say “9.6lbs with covers, 9.4 without”

• Like 2

I thought the mojo formula included the mythically aged magnets, which are weaker, of course, and nobody knows by how much, but somehow different to magnets which just start out weaker.

Both are helpful if you have an iron skull but do not sound the same.

Stronger magnets, as you know, pull the bass towards the Earth’s core giving the feeling of added heaviness yet, if you put magnets of less strength but equal density in there the bass will feel lighter. Aaaaah.

Now that you’re here, can I also interest you in some magic beans?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

My favourite is “I’ve been told it’s all original and I have no reason to doubt it,” when you’ve pointed out that it’s clearly not all original.

• Like 3

“It’s one of the good ones” It’s astonishing that despite Fenders notoriously iffy QC in the 70s, every single one sold on BC has been “one of the good ones”... it’s amazing... what are the chances of that? 🤔

• Haha 6

From an ebay listing "I've oiled the neck so it's ready to go!" - I was relieved to see that because the consequences of shipping a bass without oiling the neck don't bear thinking about.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, CamdenRob said:

“It’s one of the good ones” It’s astonishing that despite Fenders notoriously iffy QC in the 70s, every single one sold on BC has been “one of the good ones”... it’s amazing... what are the chances of that? 🤔

At 5kg it’s heavy, but it’s never bothered me...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, gareth said:

I suggest you buy this bass, then I'll happily exchange your heavy 62 pickup for a spare Squier pickup I have lying around here. I might even be able to find a lightweight Crapola pickguard to swap for your heavily over-engineered version. You'd have to pay my postage, though.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gareth said:

What a load of old codswallop. 

• Like 1

Surely if "you are looking at this you know all about it"  so why ask questions! Always my favourite line on an advert.

I've always struggled to decide which is better, a prototype or a transitional model.

What is .6 of a lb? (It's just over 9 and a half ounces but who quotes imperial measurements in decimals?).

48 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

I've always struggled to decide which is better, a prototype or a transitional model.

A transitional prototype surely? 🤔

2 hours ago, Mykesbass said:

What is .6 of a lb? (It's just over 9 and a half ounces but who quotes imperial measurements in decimals?).

I've often wondered about this too.

Is 9.5lbs actually 9lbs 8ozs or is the seller too young to understand the imperial system, but means 9lbs 5ozs?

Frank.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I thought the mojo formula included the mythically aged magnets, which are weaker, of course, and nobody knows by how much, but somehow different to magnets which just start out weaker.

Ah, mojo - ten years worth of dead skin, bogies, grease and general gunge.

So are you going to buy my bass or not? 😝

• Haha 1