Why become a member? ×

PJ pickups

Kevin Dean

7 hours ago, Jus Lukin said:

Dey be Seemoor Ducins, fer shoor!

Seriously, I think there should be a label on the bottom of them, if you're happy taking them out.

More importantly, how is that scratchplate held on?

I bought it several years ago on hear ,I think it's double sided tape , I've upgraded the bridge & tuners & I'm considering upgrading the pick ups as they seem a bit weak compared to my other passive basses .

On 06/06/2020 at 08:56, Kevin Dean said:

No , they are passive , I'm looking to upgrade as they don't seem that great compared to my other passive basses .

I'm not a big fan Seymour Duncan pickups apart from their Quarter pounder pickups, what is it that you don't like about them? that will help others recommend replacements and possibly to work out what model of Duncan's you have currently.

What is that funny black bar thing by the bridge?

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

Is the bridge bar some kind of synth trigger? Piezo device... G33?

Reminds me of the Roland stuff for guitars in the 80s 90s 

G303 / 505 add ons... Anyone remember the weird G707 with top bar - Jimmy Page adverts in Music UK?

Edited by PaulThePlug

59 minutes ago, shoulderpet said:

I'm not a big fan Seymour Duncan pickups apart from their Quarter pounder pickups, what is it that you don't like about them? that will help others recommend replacements and possibly to work out what model of Duncan's you have currently.

What is that funny black bar thing by the bridge?

They just seem weak / no punch compaired to my shuker basses that are passive .The bar is a Roland GR55 pick up .

34 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

They just seem weak / no punch compaired to my shuker basses that are passive .The bar is a Roland GR55 pick up .

Ok fair enough, I tried Seymour Duncan hots, vintage and quarter pounder, I only liked the quarter pounder pickups though they are an acquired taste, the vintage were too boomy and not enough high mids for me, sounded like the tone knob was permanently rolled off, the hots were too middy.

For punch you have a few options

Entwistle Pbxn and Jbxn sound huge, a ton of punch but the magnets stick out several mm out the back of the pickups so you may have to route the cavity deeper for them.

Dimarzio model p and model j are meant to be very good and are very popular with rock players but I have no direct experience with them

EMG Geezer, again no experience with these but a lot of people like them and they are geared towards a rock tone so should have plenty of punch

I currently have in my pj bass a Roswell QPA p pickup (Roswell clone of Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder p) and a Seymour Duncan Quarter pounder j pickup, both sound very good imo 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Kevin Dean said:

This is what is on the back of the pickups  SPB-1     &  STK-J2B  ?

Thats a Seymour duncan SPB-1 vintage P bass pickup and a Seymour duncan Jazz hot stack, I absolutely hated the SPB-1 when I had one

Edited by shoulderpet
  • Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 08:53, Jus Lukin said:

Regarding the pickups, the only ones on the current site as a pair which match visually are the Lightening Rods- is there a battery in there?

My SPB-1 looked just like that P pickup. There are other models that may look like those, but the SPB-1 is 'popular' enough, so I'd say there's a good chance that that's what it is.

On 07/06/2020 at 18:17, Kevin Dean said:

This is what is on the back of the pickups  SPB-1     &  STK-J2B  ?

Doh, I should have read the whole thread first. SPB-1 it was indeed :D

I had that one on my old Maruszczyk Jake and it was nice but a bit polite for my liking. The EMG GZR may be more to your liking (it was for mine).

• Like 1

I found the SPB-1 to be lacking in oomph,  there was just a massive lack of mids for me, however the STK-J2B I thought was great, although I only used it in conjunction with the Precision pickup in my Aerodyne.

• Like 1