Why become a member? ×

Adam A7X monitors: prone to blowing fuses?

tvickey

With the lockdown era here, I've been doing a lot more home recording.  I am now looking into a pair of home studio monitors and thought about the Adam A7X. 

I was actually thinking about picking up a pair second-hand, however it seems that the A7X is prone to blowing fuses?  I'm wondering if others here have had some experience with these speakers.  I certainly wouldn't want to pick up a problematic pair that are no longer under warranty!

I’ve had a pair for a year or so, used most days and no issues. I did some research before I got them and never heard of anything like that, they were well reviewed and rated by SOS and others 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sibob said:

It’s not something I’ve heard of, where did you get that information?

There was a pair up for sale on eBay, and the description field said "also comes with a bunch of spare fuses", so I started to get suspicious.  I asked the seller about this, and he confessed that yes, this pair had been blowing fuses pretty regularly.   I started to google around a bit on the issue, and found more and more reports of blown fuses.  From the comments and responses that I found, the issue appears to be related to the power transformer?

Edited by tvickey

1 hour ago, tvickey said:

There was a pair up for sale on eBay, and the description field said "also comes with a bunch of spare fuses", so I started to get suspicious.  I asked the seller about this, and he confessed that yes, this pair had been blowing fuses pretty regularly.   I started to google around a bit on the issue, and found more and more reports of blown fuses.  From the comments and responses that I found, the issue appears to be related to the power transformer?

Ok thanks. Like I said, I’ve not heard of anything like that, but I’ll see what I can find out on Monday for you.

Si // Focusrite (ADAM Audio) 

• Thanks 1

I have had a pair of A7X for 9 years (240V so 1.6A fuse), and a pair of A3X for 4 years. Only fuse ever blown was yesterday when I pulled out of of the A7X fuses to look at it (stupid really :) and blew it putting it back in. Great speakers. Only issue I have had is with Sub7 subwoofer not switching on (not a fuse issue). If this pair is blowing fuses repeatedly, sound like they need some professional love, but wouldn't take that as a sign of a widespread issue.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
On 07/06/2020 at 03:40, Steve Sud said:

.. Only issue I have had is with Sub7 subwoofer not switching on (not a fuse issue)...

What was wrong with switching on your Adam Sub 7 if it wasn't a fuse issue? Did he still have power? Could you fix it?

Edited by Hansschern

• 9 months later...

I bought a pair of AX7s second hand (not cheap!!) with the intention of using them in the home studio. I've read great reviews about them but sadly, they're stuck in a box until the studio is finished.

I do realise this post is about as useful as the pope's knackers but hey ho.

Just to update this thread: Around mid-November of 2020, I ultimately settled on a very nice pair of ADAM Audio T5V 5" powered monitors that I picked up used from John Browne (guitarist of 'Monuments'). 

John had been using them as a pair of temporary stand-in monitors while ADAM was delayed in sending him something more top-of-the-line.  The price was super reasonable, they sound absolutely fantastic, and were still under warranty.  ADAM Audio even refunded me a small fraction of the purchase price when I presented them with the Reverb receipt (they offer an academic / student discount)! :)

Oh, and I got to meet John Browne who doesn't live very far from me.  Super nice guy!

5F79B977-3803-4EB0-AFE6-11A8741B6559_1_105_c.jpeg

B7EA02E3-3C1E-4B89-A8EC-1C70BB4DE3EC_1_105_c.jpeg