Why become a member? ×

Under The Covers or On Top?..

My “better than the original are...

This version of Duffy’s Mercy as if it was recorded by a kicking soul band in 1970!

Rosalie - Thin Lizzy’s cover is so much better than Bob Seger’s original...

And speaking of Lizzy, Sade’s version of this isn’t “better” but it’s still great...

Always had a soft spot for this cover of a Falco tune...

20 minutes ago, Bill Wy,Aye,Man said:

Me too, and Def Leppards is the worst by a country mile

That is my thinking too. I was vaguely aware of it before IIRC, but it had slipped from memory (no bad thing).

On 05/06/2020 at 15:12, Newfoundfreedom said:

For me, this is the best cover version ever recorded, by a country mile. 

For me that is not only the worst cover ever recorded, but also the worst thing that Disturbed have ever done, and I like disturbed. it is beyond awful.

21 hours ago, NickD said:

I'm a fan big the Beatles, but I always loved that version.

I am not a great fan of the beatles, and I quite dislike Souxie, but I agree hers it is a better version.

As for higher ground - I love both versions, I prefer playing the RHCP version, but don't mind listening to either. Although have a great difficulty not doing the RHCP ending whichever version I am playing!

1 hour ago, TrevorR said:

This version of Duffy’s Mercy as if it was recorded by a kicking soul band in 1970!

Wow, this is seriously excellent!  Thanks, TrevorR.

Great retro styling too, but speaking as an old git (who was there at the time) I would say the style is 1964 rather than 1970. 😊

Used to play this version of Mercy in my covers band.  Always well received.  :) 

The bass (and most likely all the band) is probably a prop for the video.  It was sung by a white guy named Jon Allen!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, musicbassman said:

Wow, this is seriously excellent!  Thanks, TrevorR.

Great retro styling too, but speaking as an old git (who was there at the time) I would say the style is 1964 rather than 1970. 😊

On the look, yeah absolutely. Funny thing though, the guy miming in the vid isn’t actually the singer on the track. That voice is coming out of this Winchester Born folkie!

He was a regular at a singer songwriter club I used to frequent up in Shepherds Bush. Fabulous singer.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

This pop classic from the 80s

was mullered by this atrocious piffle..(IMO of course seeing that 24k people on YT must be tone deaf

Just don’t get the Lorde cover. I’m all for creativity but to these ears it just sounds like she’s close to vomiting.🤢

But I’m probably just being “boring and old-fashioned” so I’ll get my coat.😳

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Krysbass said:

Just don’t get the Lorde cover. I’m all for creativity but to these ears it just sounds like she’s close to vomiting.🤢

But I’m probably just being “boring and old-fashioned” so I’ll get my coat.😳

If you've heard that abysmal, 'Monkey Dance' you will raise a banner to "Boring and old fashioned"