Why become a member? ×

Under The Covers or On Top?..

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

This pop classic from the 80s

was mullered by this atrocious piffle..(IMO of course seeing that 24k people on YT must be tone deaf

That is one of the things I really hate, the "bank advertisation" of a song, basically taking a song and just playing it slowly while stripping all emotion out of it.

it doesn't have to be like that, Placebos running up that hill is what can happen if it is done well - it still has feeling, because it has an awareness of what the lyrics are saying, not just repeating them slower. In fact if anything, it highlights the intensity of the lyrics

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 2

Re Woodinblack's comments: agreed. There seems to be a modern trend to take a older tune that's relatively uptempo and/or with a full production and then proceed to slow it down to a limbless snail's pace, strip back the instrumentation and only to replace it with an angsty type, sleepy sounding vocal that's meant to pass for emotion. To my ears Lorde's vocals are fkin woeful. Here's another example, the fine original of Olive's You're Not Alone

and this is the bollix used for a Lloyd's TV ad

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

There seems to be a modern trend to take a older tune that's relatively uptempo and/or with a full production and then proceed to slow it down to a limbless snail's pace, strip back the instrumentation and only to replace it with an angsty type, sleepy sounding vocal that's meant to pass for emotion.

Yep, exactly what I meant when I said

40 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

the "bank advertisation" of a song

Lloyds have been using those songs for ages to show how they care and its all about community. But I think it more demonstrates how they are there to strip the soul out of something!

Obviously it isn't just them, other banks / building societies / large corporates have been using these songs for a while in adverts, and I assume some people like these things. 

Speaking as someone who plays in a cover band, and who does a lot of ska covers of other songs, I have no objection to a cover that brings something new to the party, but not just something that strips everything out and leaves nothing. 

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

form me the jury's still out on which is better...

It's a case of do either need to be better? Original version is fabulous - great vocal, but due to familiarity it had possibly lost a lot of its message. Frankie's version injected a new urgency into it. Carry on enjoying both!

Edited by Mykesbass

On 06/06/2020 at 08:46, chris_b said:

IMO like most of Leonard Cohen's songs, they are done better by those covering them.

I believe that the great Leonard Cohen was an exceptional writer, poet and musician though his vocal styles and often sombre melodies are prone to receiving a mixed response, similar to that of a popular yeast based food spread...

The beauty behind Cohen's work, to me, rests heavily upon the emotion that it seamlessly provokes and the influence it has to inspire professional musicians and budding artists alike.  His music also proves that a vocal range exceeding three octaves is far from essential in establishing a professional music career...

.. and now for something completely different...

It may come as a surprise to some (it certainly did to me), the original inspiration for Ram Jam's Black Betty...

Like many early Blues songs, it is a short track but if you are simply too eager to hear the influence to Ram Jam it stars at 1:07

The Ram's version...

... and a somewhat alternative take on the track...

27 minutes ago, KevB said:

I've always quite liked the Yes version of Simon & Garfunkel's America. Not better but nicely different.

One of my favourite Yes tracks, Chris Squire referencing Leonard Bernstein in the intro is inspired.

• Like 2