Why become a member? ×

Under The Covers or On Top?..

I'm glad Otis decided to cover this. . . . . . . . . .

Vocals start a 1:26

with this. . . . . . . . . .

Joe Cocker's cover of With A Little Help From My Friends, the best cover yet, and his cover of Bobby Charles's Jealous Kind. Although he probably got that from Frankie Miller.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

I actually love both of these versions, but Hanoi Rocks edge it for me:

I love a bit of CCR but, like you, I think Hanoi Rocks has it on that one, I always loved it. Unlike the Tina Turner version of CCRs Proud Mary which appalls me every time I hear it. 

There was a thread on this topic before and I think I posted this song there, but I'll post it again as I'd never heard of the band or the song until a few years ago and I love it. 

The original 'Thirteen Women' by Bill Haley and his Comets. 

Then the UK Renegades version which has quite a hard garage rock feel to it for the time it was released. Also tacked on the end is a bonus cover of  Vince Taylors 'Brand New Cadillac' which isn't as good as the original or The Clash' version, which is actual better than the original so may as well get a look in here. 

Brand New Cadillac. 

13 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Was never keen on this song until i heard this version

I once backed out of an audition because of that song! 🤣

I'd asked the guy for some tunes to get down in advance and he sent me that version... It had passed me by until then, surprisingly. "It's much better than the original" he said. I laughed my 'arris off at first listen. Damn, if only they'd realised that what that song needed was some generic nu-metal guitar tones and some autotuned vocals, Fleetwood Mac could have been as famous as... Er... Who was it again?

I was on the phone making my excuses within minutes.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, NickD said:

I once backed out of an audition because of that song! 🤣

I'd asked the guy for some tunes to get down in advance and he sent me that version... It had passed me by until then, surprisingly. "It's much better than the original" he said. I laughed my 'arris off at first listen. Damn, if only they'd realised that what that song needed was some generic nu-metal guitar tones and some autotuned vocals, Fleetwood Mac could have been as famous as... Er... Who was it again?

I was on the phone making my excuses within minutes.

Haha, Just goes to show eh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dave_bass5 said:

Haha, Just goes to show eh?

It does... Different strokes and all that.

I'm not a massive fan of the original to be honest, but those guys (or rather their producer to be fair) have sucked what little soul there was out of it for me. I don't think I could hate it more. 

Just now, NickD said:

It does... Different strokes and all that.

I'm not a massive fan of the original to be honest, but those guys (or rather their producer to be fair) have sucked what little soul there was out of it for me. I don't think I could hate it more. 

See, i feel the original is a huge sleep inducing drug. In fact when we play it it has a bit more life but still boring as hell (as are all the FM songs yo my ears). I’m  not saying what the other band have done is anything special, i can hear its just done as close as possible but in their style, its just that it has life and a bit more of the type of music i like.

Appeciate this sort of music is waaaaay below most members standard on here, but if you like something you like it, no matter what others think. Some of the cack that’s already been posted here shows that lol. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

See, i feel the original is a huge sleep inducing drug. In fact when we play it it has a bit more life but still boring as hell (as are all the FM songs yo my ears). I’m  not saying what the other band have done is anything special, i can hear its just done as close as possible but in their style, its just that it has life and a bit more of the type of music i like.

Appeciate this sort of music is waaaaay below most members standard on here, but if you like something you like it, no matter what others think. Some of the cack that’s already been posted here shows that lol. 

I don't think it's a matter of standard... It's very well done, but in an awful, insincere, souless, dry way. (To my ears, obviously). It's a danger of covering a 'classic'. They're a classic for a reason, a time, a place, a zeitgeist, or whatever. I've heard cover bands make it sound better. Then again, live and dirtier is always better.