Why become a member? ×

Under The Covers or On Top?..

What dirty-bird would click this link?!.. xD

Hello and welcome to another misleading thread by renowned Basschat pest, @Ted Theodore Logan, III

Today's topic is; Cover songs that are as good if not better than the original.

Very often, an artist will steal or rather “cover" another artist's song. Sometimes this is due to a lack of creativity but more often it is a solid way to get people to listen to your music when it's not really your music... On occasion, it is intended as a respectful ode or homage to the original artist, though this is rare... ^_^

Opinions and preferences will undoubtedly differ when it comes to Original Vs Cover, but one thing that will always remain consistent is that some are just plain awful and should never, ever, EVER have been permitted to exist!

Certain “musical giants" (no, not actual giants) would have had their songs covered countless times throughout the years and by numerous artists from varying musical backgrounds and genres. 

On occasion, lesser known musicians may have a track picked-up and reworked by a Titan of the Industry, though this often leads to the more popular musician gaining recognition and credit for the song... ¬¬ but, Hey!! Maybe they just do it better... maybe... :D

In rare circumstances, a popular musician will cover another popular musician's work and unwittingly (or wittingly) gain credit for that piece, popular examples being; Hurt by Trent Reznor, made incredibly popular with the talents of Johnny Cash and, of course, Higher Ground by the rather naturistic, Red Hot Chili Peppers (originally by some guy on a piano).

Whether the reality is that the artist in question can only score gigs at the same three venues that they started out at ten years ago, OR they have become a God-like diety and new face of Pepsi-Cola-Mars-Walmart -Disney-Amazon-Fox International; what always remains is...  “Good music, be good music!"  ...and if you're managing to get anybody covering your music, you're doing something right!  :i-m_so_happy:

I would like to set the ball rolling with the the ever captivating and original inspiration for the Cookie Monster, Mr Tom Waits...

... and (with the same song) the incredible blues musician who made Witchdoctors cool again; The late, great Screamin' Jay Hawkins...

EXCELLENT!!

Which reworks have you heard that left you astounded or appalled (or both)?...

(Embedded links to original and cover versions very much encouraged for general analytical purposes and, of course, intense Basschat scrutiny)

Extra points for those posting personal cover versions of songs; either as a solo act or performance with their band!! 

(It goes without saying that any personal covers posted will be met with only the highest praise and sincerest of encouragement, as is the nature of Basschat and its most bodacious members...)

...and remember...

94276-be-excellent-to-each-other-and-qgw

• Like 1

The original 80's pop song Smalltown Boy by Bronski Beat

And a superb cover and rework of the song by Paradise Lost, which puts its own stamp on the song while retaining much of the feel of the original. I much prefer this to the original;

Then there's the post punkesque Diane by Husker Du, nothing special in itself IMO,

Which was given a haunting rework and a superb cover by Therapy? There's no question as to which the more powerful version.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

For me, this is the best cover version ever recorded, by a country mile. 

Wow, fair play to you. Thought that would have been on most people's (including mine) worst ever lists.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mykesbass said:

Wow, fair play to you. Thought that would have been on most people's (including mine) worst ever lists.

I thought it was just me.... I was desperately searching for a single way in which it's not hugely inferior to the original. 

• Like 1

Fantastic comparisons so far...  :i-m_so_happy:

...some easier than others to decide on a preference...

Here's a rather unexpected cover of a song that one would expect to be covered by the “original musical terrorists/freedom fighters"...

... and the original, by the “original original-musical terrorists" (hey! Band name, right there!... xD)...

24 minutes ago, NickD said:

I thought it was just me.... I was desperately searching for a single way in which it's not hugely inferior to the original. 

Again, another great example - I completely disagree with your comment on Dylan. Great how subjective this all is!

• Like 2