Why become a member? ×

ON HOLD - Ken Miller 2006 double bass Hand carved in England
£3300
Scotland

This bass was made in England by Ken Miller in 2006 and I have owned it for 3 years, in which it has accompanied me on many gigs and recordings. At the end of last year I invested in a a new carved instrument, which means that I no longer need this one.

still, this is a carved bass made in England, hence and investment that will go up in value, despite the chips and scars of a life on stage.

woods: old spruce top, maple sides, I think poplar back.

It is not pristine! There are countless chips and scratches that only add to the unbelievable mojo. There are a few luthier-repairs done professionally by the maker himself, before it came to me. In the 3 years I have had it, it has been superbly stable. 
The playability of this bass is incredible: it is what you could describe as “plays itself”, thanks to the wonderful setup work of Jerome Davies. 
it sounds phenomenal: powerful, dark and moody, yet articulated perfectly well and it’s easy to play.

This bass was used for jazz and folk music, I have no comment to make on bowing as I don’t even have a bow!

The look of the bass is a little unusual thanks to the slightly “flattened” F holes, typical of Ken Miller basses. I believe this was Ken’s own gigging bass, which would explain the extra signs of heavy gigging.

price-wise, the initial listing of £3,300 is, I believe what the street price of a bass like this should be. It is probably worth a bit more and will gain in value. However, these are tough times and I am willing to negotiate: message me. Please don’t offer part exchanges as I’m not looking for anything. I assure you it’s a great sounding and Wonderfully well setup bass, and if you, like me, can see past the imperfections as mojo, you won’t find better! 

I am in Perth, Scotland. and I’m all organised for a proper socially distant trying of the instrument.

84EC907A-A0D2-4746-B1D6-8B307085A58E.jpeg

0A23D63C-C97C-4ACC-9A94-B1236DD4B85F.jpeg

4DA7B430-EE02-460B-ABED-0359BA490C2A.jpeg

43204563-4F79-477C-9BFB-CADEF7EAE552.jpeg

78D2CA47-9022-462D-BCBF-8472AB985CFC.jpeg

0D3BC261-598E-4B08-90D9-78E78D831DC6.jpeg

9800B687-F9B1-4AA7-8918-57A7A4B2ED44.jpeg

903B57F6-16B0-4208-90D2-657534EF35E1.jpeg

EAC4C81B-4D7C-4AC9-B114-C7C0DD84A9E8.jpeg

6D9A85FE-419B-4180-B5DC-E5DE980BDEA8.jpeg

276E7E6B-9B48-4CB9-A14E-BFAF2C4E6CA3.jpeg

Edited by Rabbie
On hold
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Basilpea said:

Do you know what wood it is made from?

Hi, not exactly, but going by his other basses I take a guess as following:

a very old piece of spruce for the top

maple for the sides (or poplar)

I guess poplar for the back.

21 minutes ago, Basilpea said:

Do you know what wood it is made from?

In fact I went back to my inbox of when I bought the bass and I confirm that Ken used Spuce tops Maple sides and normally poplar backs.

Edited by Rabbie
Typo

PS I will probably have to keep the pickup, unless the buyer really wants it. Either way, I’m happy to negotiate on the price. Message me privately if you want to discuss anything please. Thank you very much.

Despite the chips and scars of a life on stage, this is a carved bass made in England, hence it will only go up in value. I’d say it’s an investment. I think the value is already higher than the asking price, but these are trying times for sellers and buyers alike...

45 minutes ago, triplebass said:

exactly, a nut vibrating to a bridge :)

muito obrigado!

Ok, vibrating string length from vibrating end of The nut to the point where the strings slot in the bridge is exactly 106cm = 41.73inches. Hope this helps.

• Rich locked this topic
  • ped unlocked this topic

As I have my name down for another bass, the sale of this one has become of the essence. So do please get in touch if you were thinking of getting yourself an awesome bass at a very reasonable price and we can discuss the bits and bobs....have a lovely day.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m having a little bump of this just to say the price is really low for a bass hand carved in England, and as such an investment as well as a great playing instrument.

From the information I have, the maker Mr Ken Miller put all his passion and knowledge into bass making having already a career as a player so, he was a man who knew how a bass should play and sound. It is unusual for me to want to sell an instrument with a strong human history and personality, but I have my name down for something which has a human history closer to home and is going to be more useful to me...
Hence, and since I am very aware of the hard times, I am happy to negotiate with a buyer who can give this unique instrument a worthwhile home....

if I come into any money, this is going to come off the market for sure, but there is a very small chance of this...

Not sure if it is this bass itself, but Ken Miller had a few videos of his work put up on Youtube. I believe it was from his estate when sadly he passed on a few years ago. The sound is not great, and he is no movie star, but you get the picture. GLWTS @Rabbie

• Like 2

I have had enquires this week, but nobody has committed. I’m quite sure that if anyone came to see and play this bass, at this price, they’d take it home. And now, lockdown has eased, I have a good area to try the bass at social distance and I’m keeping my fingers crossed.

i can drive down and meet somewhere nearer the border if you are thinking g of coming up from a long way south.

Edited by Rabbie
Extra info