Why become a member? ×

Why flatwound may not be change and not roundwound?

james_027

I have read a lot, but cant find the answer to my question. Both type of strings will sound dull as it get older. But why flatwound can be not change while roundwound should be change?

Anyone who doesnt change their roundwound?

Looking forward to learn something new

Well as I understand things, being a flatwound player myself, and having never changed a set of flats once put on my instruments, I think they retain there mellow tone indefinitely.

Rounds are used for their brighter sound but the construction allows the grime to build up which dulls the tone.

That's what I reckon but look forward to being enlightened by others with more knowledge of the subject.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/strings/flatwound-vs-roundwound-strings-r769/

• Like 1

I think it's personal taste.. a fresh set of flats actually has its own brightness, which fades as you'd expect. If the sound you're after doesn't include that brightness then wait and they'll be good for ages. 

If you like bright, spoingy roundwounds you'll be changing far more often than if you prefer them partway down or even fully dulled off.

Any of the above may or may not suit a particular bass on a particular day, depending also on your mood at the time. 

Fun, isn't it?

About a year ago, I bought a very nice bass with a set of, very 'used', Rotosound Swingbass strings on it. I assume the previous owner took the clean strings off and put an old knackered set on before he sold it.

They're the deadest sounding roundwounds I've ever heard. they just go 'Dunk' when you pluck them.

I really love the sound. It's like flatwounds with a bit more definition.

I do tend to keep my roundwounds on for a LONG time. Luckily I have dry hands, so they don't get too claggy.

I've started to put Elixirs on my basses now, so assume they'll last even longer before a change is needed.

2 hours ago, james_027 said:

I have read a lot, but cant find the answer to my question. Both type of strings will sound dull as it get older. But why flatwound can be not change while roundwound should be change?

Anyone who doesnt change their roundwound?

Many/most people change rounds to get the twang/sizzle back, which doesn't last long so they are changed more regularly. I used to change my DR rounds every year. I'm not a fan of zingy strings, so in the last 9 months the strings life was in the zone for me. After a year I thought they started to deaden too much. I've started using NYXL nickel rounds and they are less zingy and have a nice, controlled bright tone from the off and they last a long time. The current set have been on since Christmas 2018 and they still sound OK. I just haven't done enough gigs to wear them out.

I wouldn't describe flats as sounding dull. I buy them (and I guess most others do) for their thump and thud and because their sound works so well with P basses. Their sound can last for many years, even decades, so they don't need to be changed. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chris_b said:

Many/most people change rounds to get the twang/sizzle back, which doesn't last long so they are changed more regularly. I used to change my DR rounds every year. I'm not a fan of zingy strings, so in the last 9 months the strings life was in the zone for me. After a year I thought they started to deaden too much. I've started using NYXL nickel rounds and they are less zingy and have a nice, controlled bright tone from the off and they last a long time. The current set have been on since Christmas 2018 and they still sound OK. I just haven't done enough gigs to wear them out.

I wouldn't describe flats as sounding dull. I buy them (and I guess most others do) for their thump and thud and because their sound works so well with P basses. Their sound can last for many years, even decades, so they don't need to be changed. 

thanks for your info, when you say thump and thud is that equivalent to the punch and attack that others is mentioning?

Bass is where a lot of our amplification and gig problems occur. These frequencies are more difficult to amplify, don't always transfer well in to the room and can be difficult for audiences to hear. Low mids along with mids is where you hear the meat and the definition of the bass. IMO that's thud, thump and punch. This is the area where 10's work well. Treble adds attack. Listen to Motown and Stax, this is low mids and mids from flats in action.

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 04:26, james_027 said:

thanks for this answer, so if you want more mid, flat are really good at it?

Not necessarily *more* mids than your favourite roundwound, but their frequency profile is stronger on the mids, lower mids in particular. 

However, there's also different flats that sound very different from each other. Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats are pretty bright with very strong mids, while Labella Flats are more about their 'thump', and Status ones are very dull (not in a bad way necessarily) but then you get Ernie Ball Cobalt Flats which are as bright as their nickel roundwounds that have been used for a while... It's a jungle out there!