Why become a member? ×

Need help identyfying what this Fender P bass is.

JamesFlashG

Hello all, looking for some help from knowledgeable fender people to ID this bass for me.

It was sold to me as a USA 62 reissue crafted in early 90's by a very well known UK bass vendor that I'm sure 99% of the people on this website will know, so me, not being that knowledgeable at the time (about 5 years ago) in this sort of thing bought it trusting their word. However after further investigation I think it is actually 62 reissue P bass, made in Japan. 1999. Can someone confirm this from the pictures? Quite frustrating situation if this is the case as I will have paid quite abit more than its worth. I am not going to name drop them on here as it was quite along time ago but not very happy about it to say the least if it is the case, especially if they knew they were selling it overvalued incorrectly to an unsuspecting buyer. Anyway details and pictures below, maybe I will be pleasantly surprised :D

There is no serial number on back plate or writing on head stock apart from the fender sticker. I took the neck off to look at the stamps but they do not mean much to me other than the date 1999,  nothing on or behind the pots either. Has both ash trays for pups and bridge as well as thumb rest just not attached in pictures, i can take photos of them separately as well as the pots if it will help.  Also don't take any notice of the case its sat in, that is for another on of my basses that is actually a proper vintage fender. Any ideas let me know :) thanks.

IMG_2468.thumb.JPG.4ce506f322e57c4838f9dbeba9716cb4.JPG

IMG_2469.thumb.JPG.f7be0e9e9a7d8587b28d6c160f28ec0e.JPG

IMG_2470.thumb.JPG.5c57465a8c0b6df3ea870a96551a3607.JPG

IMG_2471.thumb.JPG.167da469e7bcefc22767ae951438ee8e.JPG

IMG_2472.thumb.JPG.d9a72ca62c3a007000d4ae4f39409e37.JPG

IMG_2474.thumb.JPG.177fe697f452eac4cbaa3f013ddd61b4.JPG

1988409473_FenderP.jpg.1b98faa0e5cd598c3df90ecff285b9d6.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_178e.thumb.jpg.fd2b7c0155cc22971c6a4ff3da171805.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1791.thumb.jpg.0be30c6ed427cf39418abeee306adc26.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1792.thumb.jpg.56489962e6beb15429832bbd936906d8.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_178f.thumb.jpg.c60ea8577886e07d25d523cf586363e7.jpg

20 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Those are names that I recognise so doubt it’s jap

Ok thanks that's promising, I did not think to google the names, I am trying to look up this J.URIBE name now but cant find much. Found a few posts saying he became a master builder at fender or something? But then someone else said he moved on to be a professional baseball player haha so who knows.

3 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

That confetti dark tort matches up with the 90’s vintage reissue stuff.

Oooo yes good point, the more 90's AVRI's I am looking at the more resemblances i am seeing, especially with the head-stock as the logo placement and application looks identical, and now you mention the pick-guard colour it seems exactly the same. I am going to take the pickguard of tomorrow and see if I can uncover anything else. I must add it plays and sounds fantastic. I just cant understand why there would there be no serial number on Neckplate? Maybe the bass was stolen in the past and was replaced with a blank neckplate so it could not be traced? it's the only reason I can think of.

3 minutes ago, JamesFlashG said:

Oooo yes good point, the more 90's AVRI's I am looking at the more resemblances i am seeing, especially with the head-stock as the logo placement and application looks identical, and now you mention the pick-guard colour it seems exactly the same. I am going to take the pickguard of tomorrow and see if I can uncover anything else. I must add it plays and sounds fantastic. I just cant understand why there would there be no serial number on Neckplate? Maybe the bass was stolen in the past and was replaced with a blank neckplate so it could not be traced? it's the only reason I can think of.

That’s the first thing I thought.

Sanded/missing logos - or in this place, neck plate...

Although I have an Ibanez guitar which had a shop stock sticker on over the serial number - when I went to pull it off, it took part of the decal with it. So missing serial number isn’t always a dead cert for dishonesty.

6 hours ago, JamesFlashG said:

very interesting.. so do you think its more likely that this bass is a 62' American vintage series? like this ? https://reverb.com/uk/p/fender-american-vintage-62-precision-bass-1990s?ended_listing=28307177

Just very curiously without a serial  number on the neck plate.. cant understand why that would be.

I don’t think I was making such a specific assertion. There’s some real experts around here 

have serial numbers been on neck plates any time recently ? I thought frnder stopped that for reissues due to ease of faking but I could be wrong 

36 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

have serial numbers been on neck plates any time recently ? I thought frnder stopped that for reissues due to ease of faking but I could be wrong 

Yeah they had stamped neckplates on the AVRI series. In fact the current American Original series has them too. They all begin with V..

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BreadBin said:

It could be that there's another fake fender out there wearing the neck plate off this?

the neck plate is glued onto the body as well, once the screws came out and neck off the plate remains stuck on body with no way to seemingly remove it.

I have taken the pick guard off now and there are no further writings or stamps.

Volume pot is: 250k AUD 9~ then solder blocks rest of inscription.

Tone pot is: 250k AUD 9909 **S - again solder blocks the * part.

I can also confirm it is a nitrocellulose lacquer finish as i put a little bit of nail polish remover on a Q-tip and rubbed it inside pots cavity and it started to remove the finish. Am i correct to say that implies its a AVRI model as well as opposed to a cheaper version that would be polyester or polyurethane finish?

11 minutes ago, JamesFlashG said:

the neck plate is glued onto the body as well, once the screws came out and neck off the plate remains stuck on body with no way to seemingly remove it.

Well clearly that's not right! The rest looks like a proper American Reissue to me though....

4 minutes ago, Muppet said:

Well clearly that's not right! The rest looks like a proper American Reissue to me though....

I just managed to pop it off with abit of force from a screw driver but was 100% glued on can see the glue markings. Its a real shame because I am never going to to be able 100% confirm it so if i do try and sell it on people might think its a fake.

4 minutes ago, JamesFlashG said:

any ideas about the 2 extra screw holes (inside the normal 4 screw holes) in the body that do not line up with the neck holes or this dodgy neck plate?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1791.thumb.jpg.7b8f615b16ce58d9d19cbfe7ff8e7bc2.jpg

Where the body was mounted Ona stick for spraying 

• Like 1

Every Jap Fender I have owned said either made in Japan or crafted in Japan where the neck meets the body. I don`t see any signs of a logo there so either the neck is re finished or it`s a US model. 

Bit strange not having any serial numbers though.

• Like 1

A quick google of the first part of the barcode on the neck has brought this up:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/fender-genuine-precision-bass-replacement-neck-nitro-rosewood.1787574/

It has the same J URIBE on the heel

This one has the same first part of the code but a different second part, maybe to indicate different neck dimensions(?) 2003 AV62

https://reverb.com/item/30560601-2003-fender-american-vintage-62-precision-bass-olympic-white-with-ohsc-case-candy-free-shipping#full