Why become a member? ×

Too cool for school...

I  was into so many bands when I was in school and it was always the bass player that interested me. I loved so many but the epitome of cool has to be Rick Savage off of Def Leppard. They were the coolest of cool back then and I envied them so much!

404ef520bd00b328306d4c7382376aab.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, ubit said:

I  was into so many bands when I was in school and it was always the bass player that interested me. I loved so many but the epitome of cool has to be Rick Savage off of Def Leppard. They were the coolest of cool back then and I envied them so much!

404ef520bd00b328306d4c7382376aab.jpg

I  sooooooooo badly wanted to be Sav with that white pointy Hamer (Scarab bass??) back in the 80's, the hair, the (usually) ripped jeans, white trainers. 😉😆😆

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

Haha, me too!

I remember when my mate had MTV and he showed me Little Texas and he said these guys are like the Def Leppard of country. Thats how cool Def Leppard were viewed as by us!

5 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

No, baby no.

I can't stand him. One of my favourite bands The Dead Daisies now have him as bass player and singer. Thats me finished with them now. I just can't stand his verbal masturbating on songs! Im not saying he isn't a great musician and has a pedigree that I can only dream of, I just don't like his style.

Edited by ubit
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Old Man Riva said:

When I was a kid my first musical heroes were Slade. I always thought that Jim Lea and Don Powell were so cool - cooler than Noddy Holder and Dave Hill. I also thought Micky Finn in T Rex was cooler than Marc Bolan - well I was a kid at the time!

In later years, in the late 70s, I saw UFO and was mesmerised by the bass player, Pete Way. He just looked so cool. A real rock star.

image.jpeg.d74f0334f0223aa59fe73c9dee1d7ce6.jpeg

Agreed, he's still going strong too.  My band Soldato opened for Pete Way in Blackpool in December. 

Screenshot_20200605_123118_com.facebook.katana.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bagsieblue said:

Agreed, he's still going strong too.  My band Soldato opened for Pete Way in Blackpool in December. 

Screenshot_20200605_123118_com.facebook.katana.jpg

You have a new fan! Love that sound!

• Like 1

For me - Nathan East.

I first saw this when it originally aired in 1990 when I was 14 years old. Seeing someone playing a bass the size of an ironing board, dancing around and smiling the whole time was the epitome of cool to me. 

To some it may be the snarling, low slung bass or the standing in one position that makes your favourite cool bass player cool but to me, this is what cool is all about.

That someone could do that and clearly be enjoying himself had such a profound effect on me that I always try to have as much fun at a gig as I possibly can, regardless of how good, bad or indifferent the gig actually is.

• Like 3

I guess the obvious names have been covered (no Chris Squire?), so I'll just mention -

Gaye Advert: cool but probably not very inspirational

Barry Adamson: cool and highly inspirational B|

image.png

image.jpeg