Why become a member? ×

Too cool for school...

The thread on Alex James prompted this. So, which bass players have such a presence in their bands that they, rather than  the guitarists or vocalists, might be the ones to inspire and all that jazz. PS this isn't about who has the chops.

Well it may've possibly been a bit studied but to be fair AJ cut the mustard with his casual posture, ciggie hanging out of his mouth

Hooky -  very recognisable with his bass down by his knees stance

Suzie Quattro - well, she did the whole leather rock chick thing

Kim Deal - saw the Pixies when she was in the band. Hard to keep your eyes off her.

From image alone I`m sure Sid Vicious had an impact on many of us, he sure did on me. In the video for Pretty Vacant I though he looked great. He probably inspired many to pick up the bass, without ever really getting to grips with it himself.

Also Duff McKagan of Guns N Roses always had that cool aura about him, as did Sami Yaffa of Hanoi Rocks.

Edited by Lozz196
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

From image alone I`m sure Sid Vicious had an impact on many of us, he sure did on me. In the video for Pretty Vacant I though he looked great. He probably inspired many to pick up the bass, without ever really getting to grips with it himself.

having listened to some of the live Pistols on the infamous USA tour he wasn't as bad as was made out, I suspect he was a victim of McLaren's "they can't play" publicity stunt

Just now, PaulWarning said:

having listened to some of the live Pistols on the infamous USA tour he wasn't as bad as was made out, I suspect he was a victim of McLaren's "they can't play" publicity stunt

Yeah, if Nancy and drugs hadn’t got to him he’d probably have got there.

• Like 1

Nicky Wire in the early Manics days was a very cool figure. 

When I first saw them, him and Richey Edwards were definitely the cool pair in the band. Such a stylish mess of animal prints, spandex, make up and nicotine, oozing confidence, arrogance and attitude. 

• Like 4

When I was a kid my first musical heroes were Slade. I always thought that Jim Lea and Don Powell were so cool - cooler than Noddy Holder and Dave Hill. I also thought Micky Finn in T Rex was cooler than Marc Bolan - well I was a kid at the time!

In later years, in the late 70s, I saw UFO and was mesmerised by the bass player, Pete Way. He just looked so cool. A real rock star.

image.jpeg.d74f0334f0223aa59fe73c9dee1d7ce6.jpeg

Edited by Old Man Riva
  • Like 1

Jon Taylor.  Great player and probably the unofficial most popular member of the band with teenager girls. 

Steve Harris.  Pretty much the creative force behind Iron Maiden's best years.

DD Verni (Overkill).  If you were a thrash/metal fan in the 80s, then the image of DD Verni, BC Rich widow bass slung low and that bass sound. 

Tony Butler (Big Country).  Tony bouncing around onstage, Black precision and a huge grin. That's my memory of BC on TOTP

Obviously the late, great John Entwistle.

Aside from him letting his fingers do the talking; the icing on the coolness cake for me was his lack of participation in the smashing up of gear (at least on stage - I know he had his moments off stage) which I always considered crass and wasteful.

Edited by Krysbass

I can't find it, but there was an ad in Bass Player long ago of a bassist probably playing a headless instrument. He had nearly orange hair, and sides of his hair were cut. His outlook resembled that 7up ad character. I associate him to Simply red, but this is just a hunch. Was he advertising strings, maybe, but the pic was fun. Anybody remember this?

Edited by itu

43 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

I would say he is the only cool one! 

You gotta say Glenn Hughes was pretty cool with Deep Purple.

Not just about being cool tho. The OP asked for bassists that were inspirational in the band. 

All of the my suggestions fit that description.

Dave

• Like 1