Why become a member? ×

I want a cheap Telecaster!

mcnach

4 hours ago, Nail Soup said:

I purchased a Squier Bullet in Daphne blue earlier this year for £150. Very happy with it - I think the Bullet sounds more Tele-like than the Squier Affinity.

I did pay a bit extra to get that colour though.

D49DC330-BF90-4072-9E06-AC0BB2CDD83A.jpeg

that one looks very nice :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Little update, now the honeymoon period is over...

Nah, who am I kidding? Still honey moon! :D I love this guitar. My Fender Stratocaster and the PRS look at it with envy, as I seem to just grab the SX Tele 9 out of... 9 times 😛

I took it to a local guy to get the frets level perfectly, and I haven't even changed the pickups. I love the bridge one, the neck one is not the best, but I don't want to change anything in it, I can't believe just what a great guitar is for £129 plus £50 for the fret levelling (it was only on the region around the 12th and 15th fret a bit, nothing major, but I do like to play guitar-hero a lot 😛)

• Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
15 hours ago, bnt said:

Short video on Thomann's cheapest T-style: that simple Candy Apple Red isn't quite Purple (see above), but still has me thinking. Whatever I decide, I want a maple fingerboard on it.

If you like the candy apple red and maple combo, and prefer lacquered necks, the SX one is very nice too. :)

Edited by mcnach

On 23/09/2020 at 18:12, bnt said:

Short video on Thomann's cheapest T-style: that simple Candy Apple Red isn't quite Purple (see above), but still has me thinking. Whatever I decide, I want a maple fingerboard on it.

I have the blue one. It only cost £77 back in March.

Played great out of the box with little or no tweaking. :biggrin:

benton.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A while back I picked up a very nice Harley Benton Tele with a Paisley finish which played quite nicely. A trip across Hertfordshire to @gary mac's where he installed a Bigsby-a-like trem, dressed the frets and installed a new set of strings and it now plays lovely, thanks very much.

Geeetarist friends don't believe it's a budget model.

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TheGreek said:

A while back I picked up a very nice Harley Benton Tele with a Paisley finish which played quite nicely. A trip across Hertfordshire to @gary mac's where he installed a Bigsby-a-like trem, dressed the frets and installed a new set of strings and it now plays lovely, thanks very much.

Geeetarist friends don't believe it's a budget model.

IMG_2143.JPG

IMG_1878.JPG

I really enjoyed working on your Tele Mick, nice player. :friends:

On 04/11/2020 at 18:25, bnt said:

More Purple, this time in the Squier Classic Vibe range:

Well well well...

The Squier Bullet Telecaster was sold out, and they told me they'd have another shipment in September. In September they had the Stratocaster but not Tele. It's ok. I don't need ANOTHER Tele, loving my red SX.

However.... this? Classic Vibe range? Nice tinted and lacquered neck? 

I just ordered one. Thanks for the heads up!

• Thanks 1

It was an absolute steal at £65 ( Just spent more than this on a scratchplate for a partscaster I'm building !). Finished perfectly , pickups sound great , setup decent enough. Half the price of a mini squier.

I think I'll pick up the full size thinline next for £118 - there are loads to choose from......

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Guitars/T-Models/cat-GITARRE-GITEGTELE

Edited by edstraker123
  • Like 1

DV247? I remember when they were Digital Village, then kind-of forgot about them after I moved to Dublin. I'm out of the cheap Tele market for the foreseeable, though, since I went in a different direction, as per the "Headless Guitars" thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/11/2020 at 18:25, bnt said:

More Purple, this time in the Squier Classic Vibe range:

Well, I check an email I had from Andertons last week and find out that the estimated delivery is... summer 2021!!! 😲

Then I see that this is for a second batch, as the first one was sold out already, phew, mine is still expected in early December 😎 

Picked up a Squier CV neck and tuners recently for a Telecaster build, very impressed with the quality and starting to think maybe I should have just bought a whole one of those, bit late though as all I need now is some pick-ups.

Delivery truck left.

I may be unreachable for a while. ;)

First impressions are nice, but the SX was built better. There are a couple of minor cosmetic flaws (a tiny bubble on the neck lacquer, some small flaking of the lacquer by the nut) and the nut slot for the high E is a tiny bit too low, so the open string chokes a bit against the 1st fret but fretwork is otherwise good (on the SX I had to level 2-3 frets around the 12th-15th fret area on the treble side). It is beautiful, the neck is really nice, a bit slimmer in profile than the SX... I like both, to be honest. Sounds... the pickups are a bit meatier than the SX, but not substantially better or anything: it's just a slightly different tone. 

With what I know now, if you just want a cheap but nice Telecaster, I'd pick the SX over the Squier... but the Squier is purple, so... :D 

Let's see after I adjust and set it up more to my preferences, balance the pickups etc.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, now I had the purple Squier for a bit, my impressions have changed somewhat.

I was a bit disappointed at first because the CV series basses (early ones, 2013-14) I've had were perfect out of the box, so I had very high expectations. I had heard that the CV series had lost a bit, and it makes sense when you see everything else has gone up in price but the CV pretty much stayed at the same price.

After taking care of the nut a bit... things are a lot nicer. I didn't really do anything else to it, I've been too busy and I didn't want to spend too much time on it. That neck is fantastic. Very smooth edges, low profile, fretwork is very good... it plays extremely nicely, and the pickups are better than I was expecting. It's a great guitar. Don't get me wrong, I still love the SX and I would be very happy with just that one, but the neck on the purple CV Telecaster is worth the extra money, for my liking... However, if I just wanted a Tele for around £100, yeah, very happy with the SX. 

• Like 1