Why become a member? ×

I want a cheap Telecaster!

mcnach

Just that.

Since the lock down I've been playing guitar more and... I keep wishing for a Telecaster. Instead of that, I bought a PRS SE I found locally as I was missing the dual humbucker thing (I sold all my guitars except for a Stratocaster and a P90 Les Paul type).... and I still want a Tele.

I think I'll probably get a Squier Classic Vibe, but there's a few other cheaper alternatives and I'm wondering if any of them are decent. In particular the Harley Benton ones look good and people seem to like the basses. Any experiences?

Gotta be maple fingerboard, ideally lacquered/tinted, but definitely maple regardless.

November 2020 edit: 

Metallic red SX and metallic purple Classic Vibe Squier ended up being the winners... but quite a few other cool alternatives out there.

Edited by mcnach

The Affinity range is often overlooked being the cheapest in Squiers range, but properly set up they are great guitars. Our old producer had one at his studio and I couldn`t get over just how well it played. Def worth checking out.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Lozz196 said:

The Affinity range is often overlooked being the cheapest in Squiers range, but properly set up they are great guitars. Our old producer had one at his studio and I couldn`t get over just how well it played. Def worth checking out.

Indeed, I have my eye on those too but my experience with the Affinity range has been quite variable. That's why I'm leaning towards the CV range, as every single one I've tried was nice. The guitarist in one of my bands has been using a CV for years, natural/maple, classic looking, feels and sounds great. 

But the Affinity is attractive too. Some cool colours as well (bright red and orange), although with rosewood fingerboard...

Can't speak for the Harley Benton tele's as I've never played one but a second hand Squier VM or CV Tele will defo get you there. I have a used Squier 72 Thinline Tele that I use as a touring guitar, it's a fuss-free workhorse instrument that plays and sounds great as-is with no mods whatsoever. Vintage tinted maple fingerboard, old school looks. Not the most exciting guitar to look at, but the build quality is really decent. 562887775_0-13.jpeg.28bded470624073a399a96f9322ac557.jpeg1347122746_0-22.jpeg.74fbcfb5e49770feaa1b7e69552b006b.jpeg

And it cost £150 off ebay 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, meterman said:

Can't speak for the Harley Benton tele's as I've never played one but a second hand Squier VM or CV Tele will defo get you there. I have a used Squier 72 Thinline Tele that I use as a touring guitar, it's a fuss-free workhorse instrument that plays and sounds great as-is with no mods whatsoever. Vintage tinted maple fingerboard, old school looks. Not the most exciting guitar to look at, but the build quality is really decent. 562887775_0-13.jpeg.28bded470624073a399a96f9322ac557.jpeg1347122746_0-22.jpeg.74fbcfb5e49770feaa1b7e69552b006b.jpeg

And it cost £150 off ebay 👍

Very nice! And £150??? that's great!

The Thinlines certainly got my eye, although I really want standard Tele pickups, so my finish choices are reduced. But this one is not bad:

tele-60s-thinline-classic-vibe-2019-mn-h

2 hours ago, police squad said:

Vintage V52. If they're anything like my 335 alike and SG alike, they will be plenty good

Good call. I've owned a handful of Vintage instruments, and while more than half had some minor cosmetic faults they were very nice to play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@mcnach I played one of those '69 Thinline teles in a shop and was blown away by how good it was. Amazing quality for the price. I bought mine cheap on ebay to use as a back up guitar but it was better than my Fender tele. Could have just been the setup but I was chuffed for £150.

• Thanks 1

I just got one of these, secondhand and immaculate, but for the opposite reason, I have other  Teles (bitza's) but wanted one with humbuckers.

g-l-tribute-asat-deluxe-carved-top-652808.thumb.jpg.0c8257748aa2e50db2e57cb0add5dda5.jpg

Fabulous value, especially used, and available with other pickups, and as Thinlines!

g-l-tribute-asat-classic-78621.thumb.jpg.f89dad260dab2b3a387f072889d54679.jpg

• Like 2

At a school I worked in (and therein lies many a story) I played a battered HB telecaster through a HB transistor combo.  Awesome, 95%+ of my USA telecaster and Fender valve combo. Staggering value and sound.  Guitarist in previous band incarnation bought a HB tele custom, also really good (in fairness, anything sounded good when he played it).

Edited by 3below
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, rubis said:

I just got one of these, secondhand and immaculate, but for the opposite reason, I have other  Teles (bitza's) but wanted one with humbuckers.

g-l-tribute-asat-deluxe-carved-top-652808.thumb.jpg.0c8257748aa2e50db2e57cb0add5dda5.jpg

Fabulous value, especially used, and available with other pickups, and as Thinlines!

g-l-tribute-asat-classic-78621.thumb.jpg.f89dad260dab2b3a387f072889d54679.jpg

A G&L would be sweet. They don't make a bad instrument. That red one looks amazing! 

12 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Got my lad one of these, he prefers it over his 335 which cost me a fortune! Its got an amzing neck and low action, sounds the dogs..

https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hbt1952.htm

Harley Benton TE-52 NA Vintage Series – Thomann UK.htmlUnavailable

That's the HB I would go for, if I go HB. :)

If you are happy with second hand then the korean squiers are really quite good, i snagged a black and maple one for our guitarist, i can't remember which factory but it was 150 quid! it plays as well as my Mexican standard tele, i've done the 4 way switch mod and fitted cts pots and it sounds great.

Matt

Just now, Matt P said:

that's quite close to me, could aid in the deal if you want.

Matt

I’m on a no buy month - got a refinish to pay for. And I keep on meaning to upgrade the pickups in my trusty little Ibanez SA which is so uncool but plays great and covers all the sounds I need for demos.

1 minute ago, AndyTravis said:

I’m on a no buy month - got a refinish to pay for. And I keep on meaning to upgrade the pickups in my trusty little Ibanez SA which is so uncool but plays great and covers all the sounds I need for demos.

sorry, that was meant for @mcnach i have dealt with him before, (i think the first was a squier badtz maru that we exchanged in a coffee shop in Edinburgh.

i could pick this up (and do cash for the seller) and then probably take the neck off and post it up to you. it does need a bit of work though.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Matt P said:

sorry, that was meant for @mcnach i have dealt with him before, (i think the first was a squier badtz maru that we exchanged in a coffee shop in Edinburgh.

i could pick this up (and do cash for the seller) and then probably take the neck off and post it up to you. it does need a bit of work though.

Cool - sorry, with my reputation for buying stuff thought it was aimed at me 🤪

There is also a fenix strat if similar vintage on Facebook too - really good reputation these.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/4358600674165206/

I played in a band with a guy who swore by his.

i'm a member of the fenix group on facebook, don't actually own one but was interested in the short scale basses, i tried to ask about them but couldn't get any kind on sensible message from anyone on what kind of prices they were selling for.

Matt

4 minutes ago, Matt P said:

i'm a member of the fenix group on facebook, don't actually own one but was interested in the short scale basses, i tried to ask about them but couldn't get any kind on sensible message from anyone on what kind of prices they were selling for.

Matt

They seem to sit between 100 and 400 - there are various eras which are deemed to be better.

Similar to Vester - there are big “fanboys” who denounce everything other than “their” brand.

They’re just decent midrange/budget instruments.

13 minutes ago, AndyTravis said:

They seem to sit between 100 and 400 - there are various eras which are deemed to be better.

Similar to Vester - there are big “fanboys” who denounce everything other than “their” brand.

They’re just decent midrange/budget instruments.

Yeah I've seen them on ebay go very cheap and then way too expensive, I'm quite a fan of short scale basses and the fenix design appealed, probably going to buy an ibanez tmb35 now. 

On 04/06/2020 at 16:48, mcnach said:

Very nice! And £150??? that's great!

The Thinlines certainly got my eye, although I really want standard Tele pickups, so my finish choices are reduced. But this one is not bad:

tele-60s-thinline-classic-vibe-2019-mn-h

The pickups in the CVs are pretty darn good. The ones in my 50s CV were better than those fitted to a Fender T I was trying when I bought mine. That said, I did eventually replace them with DiMarzios, but then again I pretty much replaced everything except the neck (inveterate tinkerer syndrome). The G&L Tributes seem to be really good VFM and still have that direct link to Leo for added je ne sais quoi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matt P said:

If you are happy with second hand then the korean squiers are really quite good, i snagged a black and maple one for our guitarist, i can't remember which factory but it was 150 quid! it plays as well as my Mexican standard tele, i've done the 4 way switch mod and fitted cts pots and it sounds great.

Matt

I'm more than happy second hand. :)

I used to own a Japanese Squier, black/maple, and it was just superb. Like an idiot I sold it a few years ago... it was the best Tele I've ever played. Previous owner(s) had used and abused it, it had lots of dings on the body and some on the neck,, but nothing affecting playability. In fact, it was so nice to play... ugh. I wish I could buy it back. One instrument I really regret selling.

My favourite Jazz is a Korean one with plywood body. I replaced the pretty bad pickups with something decent and it's been a fantastic bass. 

The Tele is pretty much going to be a home use only, for recording demos and ideas etc, it doesn't need to be the best. As long as it's a decent build, I'll make it play nice.