Why become a member? ×

Looking for basses in the vein of Music Man

deadline

Hi!

The market is overflooded with Fender J or P clones, remixes, better versions and so on. So I wonder if there are any Music Man StingRay inspired basses out there? The Chowny Davie504 springs to mind, but I can't seem to find so moany else. Thinking body design and ofc the large humbucker. Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

1 hour ago, CPCustomdubwise said:

Ibanez ATK springs to mind; lots of people like those.

Came here to post this. They're great! They're everything the typical Ibanez bass is not: big, wide-bodied, and fat-necked. And they sound and play great! I've owned two 1990s MIJ ATK300's and still own 1998 MIJ ATK305 and I love it. I have owned a Stingray 5 too, and the neck profile is remarkably similar - but lacquered instead of waxed.

1 hour ago, Cuzzie said:

G&L L1500 or Kiloton

Those are great too! The Kiloton is fully passive, but otherwise very similar to the L1500.

52 minutes ago, LeftyJ said:

Those are great too! The Kiloton is fully passive, but otherwise very similar to the L1500.

Not too far off - kiloton has the pick up more in the sweet spot As opposed to the Ray spot and yes it’s passive

Status Shark bass?

Best 'Ray alternative I've tried is the Warwick FNA (Corvette body shape but same essential layout), not least as it has the very decent Seymour Duncan MM pickup and circuit as standard, which were intended as upgrades for the 'Ray.   Liked mine so much I bought an LX Streamer Jazzman (and replaced the MEC pickups with Nordstrand / Bart).

Used to have an OLP "Tony Levin" and was very underwhelmed by it.

The Sandberg Basic sounds a lot like a Ray, the pickup is a tiny bit further towards the neck but not by much. There was one for sale on here recently that might still be around, they pop up on eBay from time to time and can usually be snapped up for a bargain.

47 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

The Sandberg Basic sounds a lot like a Ray, the pickup is a tiny bit further towards the neck but not by much. There was one for sale on here recently that might still be around, they pop up on eBay from time to time and can usually be snapped up for a bargain.

Funnily enough I had a Sandberg Basic. Personally, I wouldn't say it sounded much like a Ray. Far too clean, clinical and polite, but a cracking bass all the same.