Why become a member? ×

Long one, but hello!

Gonzo192

Hows it going people?!

Been a drummer for going on 16 years, in more recent times I've come to realise just how much of a pain in the donkey it is to keep it up! As time's gone on it's proven to be about the most inconvenient instrument you could ever practice in terms of actually practicing (for me at least) forever sticking your hands in your pocket to book & pay for a dedicated space to have a jam, as opposed to being able to play your instrument while chilling out and watching TV, and the noise. It's a welcome change to be able to practice for real and make so little noise *cries*

.. So long story short, about 5 months ago I started to pick up the bass for real after noodling about with it in the past. Started getting some lessons in with a guy local to me, best thing I've done in years. The transition from drums sort of goes hand in hand too, so I'm loving everything about it. 

While I'm here, any of you beauties stumbled across one of these before?

I'm lucky enough to get my hands on this gorgeous CIJ '62 Reissue Jazz Bass from around 2004ish which came to me via a shout from my bass teacher who in his spare time, with his mate. Does this kind of underground loop of trading rare, vintage & lesser seen basses and shares them amongst his students as first dibs before they go online - Anyway so I told him as I'm really enjoying it & since I've never really invested in myself musically throughout the years at least not until recent times that I've always fancied a Jazz bass & if something a little different pops up one day then I'll go for it. So he sends me a link to get my head around how him and his mate do this thing and I'm greeted by this Japanese made beauty which obviously had to be in my favourite colour too. Dangerous combo. 

Since I whacked a holding deposit down on it and since then I've been keen to see more clips / photos of this thing in action. In my searches I start to notice that I can't find this exact model anywhere. Loads of '62 reissues in a plethora of different colours over the years - just none in this old candy apple red with a matching headstock. After about a week of detective work I managed to find 2 basses from real old postings online. One from a seller on Reverb oddly enough with a serial number 4 digits after this one. (though I'm not sure if that's just coincidence of if it literally was 4 in front of this one on the line!) and one from a Japanese retailer (of which I had to translate the page). According to the retailer, in around 2004ish Fender Japan did a 'shop order' model of the '62 reissue in old candy apple red with a matching headstock which came with the USA pickups. Apparently it's become a bit of a hidden gem in Japan because of the shop order thing, not everyone dug it and not many were ordered.  

How true this is, I literally do not know. Do I care? Well it might seem that way after my Sherlock Holmes of google sessions but to be honest, it's just for my own satisfaction really - the fact that at some point in it's life it's been imported to the UK and made it's way down to the shire tells me it's got a little bit of a story to tell and I kinda like that. 

Anyway, this is him. Insane nick for a 16 year old bass that's travelled half way round the world - so maybe it doesn't have an elaborate story after all - Shop, home, cupboard, plane, England. haha. 

Cheers! 

JB62.jpeg

FenderJazz2.jpeg

FenderJazz.jpg

CIJ.jpeg

• Like 2