Why become a member? ×

Whatever happened to Trace Elliot?

henry norton

I recently picked up the bass again after nine years concentrating on kids and mortgage payments. I used to use mainly Trace Elliot gear - it was reliable, loud and really nicely made. Since starting up again there seems to be a bewildering array of pro/high end gear, but Trace Elliot seems well out of the running now.

Considering they were pretty much up there at the top how could they fall so badly and so far?

FWIW there's quite a bit of information on Wiki.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_Elliot"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trace_Elliot[/url]

EDIT: er... ...well at least there used to be a lot of information...

...still, there's always [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-319086.html"]Talkbass[/url]. :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='430916' date='Mar 10 2009, 07:56 PM']I recently picked up the bass again after nine years concentrating on kids and mortgage payments. I used to use mainly Trace Elliot gear - it was reliable, loud and really nicely made. Since starting up again there seems to be a bewildering array of pro/high end gear, but Trace Elliot seems well out of the running now.

Considering they were pretty much up there at the top how could they fall so badly and so far?[/quote]

Dont worry Henry, there is loads of original TE stuff still available fortunately!!!!

The new cabs are still great, but I do prefer the older amps.

I use an old Trace from 1990 I believe. The only other amps I've played through that I like are Mesa, Ampeg and Eden. Not saying the rest are pants, I just haven't played through them yet. Anyway, it would take a lot to part me with what I've got, I love the sound. Check on the BC marketplace or good old ebay if you're interested in going for the older Trace stuff, a bargain is out there to be had.

Interesting.

The old stuff is great, and has stood the test of time. You still see old stuff pumping out the sound it was great....

The new stuff doesn't compare in sound or feel IMO. In fact, its like other manufacturers have put the effort in to really move on and give us something better and Trace have re-released the stuff that they were doing before, but with lower quality bits. What's that about eh?

Anyways, to answer your question. Why did they disappear? People talk about reliability issues etc.. I have no exp of this as I never owned any.. just hear say..
I was told by a tech (cud be rubbish, just what I was told..) that management were taking too much out of the company for themselves and, although they had a full book of orders, the company went into the ground as the funds weren't there to buy materials, pay staff etc.. Nice one. Isn't that like Rover? So, sounds like they stuffed the company and lots of jobs were lost. How bad is that (if there is any truth in it that is..)..

That's what I was told, I may be corrected which would be nice, cos frankly, that's just depressing!

Ta

[quote name='fingerz' post='430993' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:54 PM']Interesting.

The old stuff is great, and has stood the test of time. You still see old stuff pumping out the sound it was great....

The new stuff doesn't compare in sound or feel IMO. In fact, its like other manufacturers have put the effort in to really move on and give us something better and Trace have re-released the stuff that they were doing before, but with lower quality bits. What's that about eh?

Anyways, to answer your question. Why did they disappear? People talk about reliability issues etc.. I have no exp of this as I never owned any.. just hear say..
I was told by a tech (cud be rubbish, just what I was told..) that management were taking too much out of the company for themselves and, although they had a full book of orders, the company went into the ground as the funds weren't there to buy materials, pay staff etc.. Nice one. Isn't that like Rover? So, sounds like they stuffed the company and lots of jobs were lost. How bad is that (if there is any truth in it that is..)..

That's what I was told, I may be corrected which would be nice, cos frankly, that's just depressing!

Ta[/quote]

That may be true but unfortunately it's hardly unique to Trace Elliot. You're right though, it's very depressing

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='430924' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:04 PM']...still, there's always [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-319086.html"]Talkbass[/url]. :)[/quote]

I don't really use Talkbass, but that was quite interesting to read.

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='431023' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:23 PM']Years ago I had one of the green carpet covered 500w 1x15 7 band EQ combo's.

Should never have got rid :)[/quote]

I still have one of these but a 150W model. It still does a grand job at smaller venues, practice and as a more portable amp for lugging up to London.

[quote name='henry norton' post='431002' date='Mar 10 2009, 09:00 PM']So it's another case of a buyout diluting the brand. Mark Bass it is then. Or maybe Eden, or SWR, or Genz Benz YAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/quote]

Eden are now owned by Washburn(or rather their parent company) and SWR are owned by Fender, so either isn't really a good choice if you wanna stay corporate-free!I thnk Genz-Benz is owned by the Kaman Corporation. Or were you making an insightful, tongue in cheek joke?

Edited by Dan_Nailed

Are MarkBass still independent? I don't mind paying the money if it's going straight back to the people who built it but so many now (Genz and SWR for instance), charge the same high prices for gear they have made for them using cheap labour, creaming off a bigger profit for the parent company. :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='431567' date='Mar 11 2009, 03:04 PM']Are MarkBass still independent? I don't mind paying the money if it's going straight back to the people who built it but so many now (Genz and SWR for instance), charge the same high prices for gear they have made for them using cheap labour, creaming off a bigger profit for the parent company. :)[/quote]

They are owned by Parsek Srl - but I have no idea if that is just the copy name and Markbass is the trading name. Or a big company that owns them.