Why become a member? ×

Fender Bass Wiring Question

dand666

Hey wonderful people, just a bit of advice. I have a old 04 Deluxe P bass, it used to be active, also use to have a Humbucker at the bridge, however I got this swapped out years ago for a single coil so it’s currently a PJ setup. **This is now not Active**

Looking to maybe add another single coil for a Humbucker on the future, however after opening up the bass I got a little confused with the wiring.

it seems that Pot 1 & Pot 2 are the volumes for the relevant pickups, however why does Pot 3 and Pot 4 have a link in them? They are tone controls for the pickups right. How come they’re linked?

proper n00b question I know but would love to start doing my own wiring. I can solder and use a multimeter 😃

****The hand drawn pic Of the wiring does not contain all of the Ground Wires (Didn’t wanna clog up the diagram). But they all seem okay.****

Thank you all so much!

861ACE72-7D07-4DC5-8398-55EE0769ABA1.jpeg

0472C995-9F35-4D85-AE07-81F537395525.jpeg

7D25315C-4E04-48A8-B798-D3C7052DFE69.jpeg

Edited by dand666
Added text

All you have is 2 volume pots 1 and 2 pots 3 and 4 do nothing. As you said it was a active bass where it had 4 holes in pickgaurd & output jack in the body of the bass like a Les Paul etc.

When it was active it had 1 volume ( master) hole number 1  blend pot so you could have p by itself j by iteslf or a mixture in hole number 2 a stacked pot with treble and bass in hole number 3 and a mid in hole number 4 so the 2 last pots are just hole fillers .

Like its been said you could go 2 vol 2 tones  or 1 vol 1 tone 1 balance pot and a hole filler

13 hours ago, dand666 said:

I can't test the pot at the moment as I have no strings on, but am I right in thinking that both of those pots will do the same thing as they are linked??

Tap the pup with a screw driver when connected to an amp ? Volume changes and tone changes a bit so you can tell 

4 hours ago, robertg43 said:

All you have is 2 volume pots 1 and 2 pots 3 and 4 do nothing.

If you look carefully at the 2nd photo, there appear to be capacitors on pots 3 & 4. These aren't shown on the drawn diagram but it looks like an attempt at rewiring as VVTT but someone's made a bit of a hash of it.

Yes there's capacitors on 3&4.

So atm, it's literally just 2 volumes and 2 for show?

Might send it to someone to reconfigure unless I can do it myself?

Ideally I’m happy to have one pot for show, so be good to have VVT if that’s possible?

can anyone see what I need to do to achieve this?

Edited by dand666