Why become a member? ×

What would you do?! Opinions please...

donslow

Started painting a 51 precision body today, el Classico butterscotch being the colour of choice

not entirely sure what I thought was going to happen once the translucent paint was on but now it is, that dark section of wood is driving me nuts...(Second photo with neck was after I dumped a whole can of paint on it)

options...

1. live with it

2. Sand back and paint with solid buttercream with a tinted clear coat to get close to butterscotch 

3. go for another colour completely

what would you guys and gals do?

opinions massively appreciated

B375F032-B529-4126-A696-DF15DC147EFB.thumb.jpeg.bd21f058c2994c7a306f405a073181f6.jpeg

E06D283F-8E85-40B9-B4A5-1C13AEE893B6.thumb.jpeg.581fc9b34365e540fa6e768972303755.jpeg

Edited by donslow

id prefer to keep that kind of colour, I found these two, both of which look like it could be a close match 

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/product/desert-sand-nitrocellulose-lacquer-aerosol/

https://www.manchesterguitartech.co.uk/product/buttercream-nitrocellulose-lacquer-aerosol/

In that case, yeah, you'd need to strip it back then paint it with the solid colour. You'd need to do a solid primer colour beneath it too, make sure it comes out even as well, otherwise a light colour like this will more than likely still show the colour difference through it. 

I'd live with it - there is a chinese saying something to do with 'raw silk/uncut wood' - I like seeing the grain and natural colour coming through.

Are you going to add a pickguard?  I'm guessing not - that would make a big difference.

Edited by bloke_zero

Was is manchesterguitartech you used in the first place, @donslow?

If so, then either of the two colours would be fine (if I was going to add the tinted clear, I would personally go for the desert sand) and they could be sprayed directly over this, using this as your primer.  The manchesterguitartech paints are good quality and their solids would, I'm pretty sure, cover the shadings after only a couple of coats.

If the original is another brand, then yes - sand it fully off first, just in case there are compatibility problems, and use a primer coat, preferably white.

16 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Was is manchesterguitartech you used in the first place, @donslow?

If so, then either of the two colours would be fine (if I was going to add the tinted clear, I would personally go for the desert sand) and they could be sprayed directly over this, using this as your primer.  The manchesterguitartech paints are good quality and their solids would, I'm pretty sure, cover the shadings after only a couple of coats.

If the original is another brand, then yes - sand it fully off first, just in case there are compatibility problems, and use a primer coat, preferably white.

The original paint was from northwest guitars, I’m led to believe It’s much the same paint and that there should be no incompatibility issues, new paint arriving tomorrow so we shall see :-s

• Like 1