Why become a member? ×

Bass Combo Recommendations Please

pbasspecial

Hi Fellow BC'ers,

I currently have an Ashdown ABM500 and a Barefaced Super Twin which I love but am looking to get a decent combo for practicing at home, rehearsals and small/medium gigs.  Going to keep my big rig for the larger stage/better paid gigs (whenever that may be in the future!).

Ideally looking for 250 watts, 12-15" speaker, headphone and aux input, relatively lightweight, etc. Happy to buy s/h as my budget will go further.  Quite like the look of the Blackstar range, Fender Rumbles or the TC BG250 as the also have tone print capabilities.  £100-300 range.

Any experience or recommendations would be gratefully appreciated guys

I'm thinking of getting a Fender Rumble 100 for rehearsals and home practice. Currently using my Rumble 500 for rehearsals but I have to have it on a really low volume... and I thought I'd go for a scaled down version that's an easier fit into Mrs Trueno's Fiat 500. I'll also be able to use it in my tiny practice room without putting out all the windows.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BassBunny said:

If you can stretch your budget a tad, Ashdown have a "b"stock Rootmaster 2x10 combo in their clearout sale.

If you like the ABM, a Rootmaster should suit you fine.

That would be a good purchase, the RM range is great.

1 hour ago, BassBunny said:

If you can stretch your budget a tad, Ashdown have a "b"stock Rootmaster 2x10 combo in their clearout sale.

If you like the ABM, a Rootmaster should suit you fine.

Thanks for heads up. I'm really looking for a 12-15" speaker for a bit more old school low end rather than the tight midst of 210s. 

On 02/06/2020 at 21:56, pbasspecial said:

Thanks for heads up. I'm really looking for a 12-15" speaker for a bit more old school low end rather than the tight midst of 210s. 

Speaker size is no barometer for old school low end or any low end for that matter.

Neither is it any guide for 10's  being tight in the mids

Just now, Bigguy2017 said:

Fender Rumble or TC Electronic BG250-112.

It's best to try them with your bass, but CoViD will make this tricky...

That's why I am looking for some hands on, real world experience from my fellow Bass Chatters. Any pros and cons would be greatly appreciated guys. 

It does depend on your playing style (light, diggin' in, pick, finger), your bass (output level, tone) and what you want sound like (clean, grungy, fuzzy, vintage motown). Also how loud the rest of the band are...

The Fender Rumble and TC BG250-112 will get you clean and motown and also dirty (Fender has a drive knob, tc has Toneprints) .

Volume wise they both will work live but the tc will struggle in a loud band and likes a second cab.

Bottom line is what you like not what I like ! 😉

• Like 1

On 06/06/2020 at 08:15, Cuzzie said:

Tech21 Power Engine Deuce Deluxe

This sounds good, looks like you can just plug into top with std jack as well if your preamp/modeller  fails, have you tried it with bass just plugged into it, will it suffice do a job as an emergency straight up amp.

Edited by Rollin Thunder
  • Like 2

On 02/06/2020 at 21:56, pbasspecial said:

I have a 12” RM combo and absolutely love it. Definitely worth looking for one especially if you like your ABM

• Like 1

As you use (and presumably like) a Big Twin, why not look at a smaller - 1 x 12 - Barefaced cab to take to smaller jobs? A Super Compact or even a Big Baby would be much more transportable than your Big Twin and you can always use them together if you need to be insanely loud.

I have the Blackstar 2x10 combo. It's very loud and has some really good pre amp emulator settings. I've only used it in a studio so can't comment on much more than the solid build, light-ish weight and good looks (rather like myself! ha)

Happy to answer any Qs about it

• Like 1

Back on topic.  The TCE Combo is a great option. I have the one with 2 x 8" speakers. Do they do a 15? I don't know but I have gigged (7 piece band, full kit, but not rock music) with the 208 and it just about hung in there.  Fie rehearsals and home use it's a great, lightweight  and compact solution. 

• Like 1