Why become a member? ×

Barefaced one10 distortion

lowlandtrees

Had my BF one10 from new since November 19. It has started to distort badly only on the low E only. 
Been using a euphonic audio double head and an Empress ParaEQ but never had it past number 4. Changed the battery on my active MM SUB....still distortion . Got another head (Quilter) still distorting. Tried EQing it out...distortion. Tried compression....distortion. Daisy chained a bigger cab onto it...it distorted ...bigger cab ok. Thought it might be the instrument but no distortion using a 12ins speaker. Haven’t tried another bass but had an eguitar through it and that did not distort.

I love this wee cab and have gigged it with great results but it now distorts in the low end....ideas?

I experienced something similar with my barefaced six10, it would distort on the low G. I ignored it and played as normal and it just went away. Maybe it's the speakers breaking in. 

You've had your one10 around six months, I'd say my problem occured around the same time. 

1 hour ago, mep said:

Nothing wrong with the BF Two10 for gigging I can assure you.

Quite probably but in my case I would have to try one to be convinced. :)

I use a vertical stack of a pair of Acme B2 2x10s. I'm also very conservative with my amplification systems. Living in the Toronto area I've yet to have the pleasure of auditioning any of Alex's products though I have known him through Talk Bass for many years. IIRC at one time he was an Acme abuser too.  :D

17 hours ago, BassmanPaul said:

Too little speaker area for the job at hand. I wouldn't try to gig with a 2x10 let alone a single ten. Give Alex a call for suggestions.

I gigged my single One10 loads. Against a loud drummer, and 25 horns and reeds.

And with a 5 string.

It's fine. And loud enough.

There has been a quantum shift in loudspeaker technology over the last few years. Drivers are much more able than they have ever been. You still have to have reasonable expectations on performance. A single ten inch cone can only move a certain amount of air no matter how good the driver is. Alex's products are as good as current technology allows. I'd love to play through one. :)

Edited by BassmanPaul

Gonna check for loose screws before I call.....just in case. It’s a great cab. I bought it cos we did a tour to Amsterdam by public transport. It’s so light with nice warm sound and enough volume for a pub. 2 acoustic guitars, eguitar, cajon and 4 vocalist. On and off trains, ferries, trams etc. One hand lift ...walked miles...be sad if it’s damaged. I have a Greenboy fearless for bigger gigs but miss the one10 for convenience.

It is certainly worth getting in touch with Alex.  I had a Supercompact that started to distort just about 3 years after I bought it.  He replaced the driver foc once he'd tested it and found it to be faulty.

• Thanks 1