Why become a member? ×

Nordstrand MM pickup height

I have a Nordstrand MM4.4 and I'm wondering about the pickup height.  It is not in a stingray and the electronics are passive.

I was reading this: https://reverb.com/news/pickup-height-an-easy-diy-tone-tweak

And this jumped out at me:

the magnetic field can exert its force upon the strings and interfere with their ability to vibrate freely, which is heard as a slightly dissonant, atonal sound, like an out-of-tune harmonic that follows the root note, along with a lack of body and sustain.

Which I was hearing something like with some recording I was doing.  Which also had a little Dark Glass Microtubes with the treble switch activated (something like the ampeg ultra-high setting but with some overdrive).

Standard MM stingray pup height is 6/32nds from the bottom of the E string to the pickup cover. Mine  was more like 8/32nd.

Now the actual question (for anyone who's made it through this far!) is could the Nordy magnets be messing with the strings even though set below the recommended height?

I just moved the pickup down so it's more like 10/32nds (8mm) and it seems to help for sure. Just interested in the unseen waves affecting my world!