Why become a member? ×

Bands with two drummers

Happy Jack

I believe Showaddywaddy  had two originally because two Leicester bands combined, when they parted company with Malcolm  (the Duke) Allured they managed well enough with one.

Seen two versions of the Glitter band twice in the last 10 years, one with one drummer  the other with two, both brilliant gigs, they did all the Gary Glitter hits

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

I believe Showaddywaddy  had two originally because two Leicester bands combined, when they parted company with Malcolm  (the Duke) Allured they managed well enough with one.

Seen two versions of the Glitter band twice in the last 10 years, one with one drummer  the other with two, both brilliant gigs, they did all the Gary Glitter hits

Our drummer played with Glitter Band with twin drummers during 90's. He did say that his job was to play the bog standard drum stuff while the original drummer played the fancier fills and show off bits. If there was a drum solo it was mainly Pete Phipps that played them.

I don't recall the drums sounding "bigger" when i used to see them on TOTP but i was very young.

Dave

3 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

Ah yes. Malcolm.

Interesting character.

Played down his club a fair few times many years ago.

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Our drummer played with Glitter Band with twin drummers during 90's. He did say that his job was to play the bog standard drum stuff while the original drummer played the fancier fills and show off bits. If there was a drum solo it was mainly Pete Phipps that played them.

I don't recall the drums sounding "bigger" when i used to see them on TOTP but i was very young.

Dave

A friend of mine lived in one of the Glitter band's former drummers in Shepherds' Bush back in the 80s. Totally irrelevant, but at least i remembered it!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

A friend of mine lived in one of the Glitter band's former drummers in Shepherds' Bush back in the 80s. Totally irrelevant, but at least i remembered it!

They had quite a few drummers over the years.

Dave

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

They had quite a few drummers over the years.

Dave

I can imagine! I can remember the flat, on the road out the back of TV Centre, and I think it was Hammy Lee (Furniture) who I used to visit there. He moved into a flat opposite mine in a building in Acton after that. All so long ago now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EBS_freak said:

Ah yes. Malcolm.

Interesting character.

Played down his club a fair few times many years ago.

MFN? (middle of fcuking nowhere) yes play there at least twice a year, coronavirus permitting,,  can't help liking him even when he doesn't pay us 😉  

6 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

MFN? (middle of fcuking nowhere) yes play there at least twice a year, coronavirus permitting,,  can't help liking him even when he doesn't pay us 😉  

I played at a club he owned called ( I think) Jimmy Deans. Was a new venture for him at the time, probably early 90’s ish. Certainly a colourful character...

Oh Sees have had two drummers for a while now; Melvins/Big Business, The Fall, Radiohead, White Rabbit all at various points. It's still a thing left of the dial.

I really enjoyed playing with a percussionist/drummer setup, but you have to have a canny percussionist or it has a certain "brass band falling downstairs" vibe to it. 

On 01/06/2020 at 21:38, jezzaboy said:

I`m a Deadhead and they were well known for having 2 drummers except from late 71 ish to late 74. Thats really the only period of Dead music I like apart form 2 studio albums made in 70 which had 2 drummers.

Same with the Allmans Brothers who I was a fan of for years until the drums did my head in. They seem to fill all the space, one usually playing straight the other adding all these needless fills.

Now Showaddywaddy, that I can can go for...:crazy:

The reason Showaddywaddy had two drummers was something to do with them forming from two separate bands i believe.

• 3 weeks later...