Why become a member? ×

Bands with two drummers

Happy Jack

19 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Thanks for posting that - always a treat.  

Someone 'paged' me in this thread, we (the Grateful Dudes) have three drummers, of whom we usually play with two, though we did a couple of nights two years ago with all three (one on a regular kit, the other two swapping between kit and percussion) and a year ago in Germany we had a guest percussionist on some numbers, which was very enjoyable. We have also played with one when neither of the others is available. 

Playing bass standing between two drummers is an interesting experience, I can definitely recommend it.

• Like 2

Fugazi played live with two drummers, at least they did when I saw them circa 2003. It was the best thing about their performance - this was close to the end and I think they were pretty much over it, for the most part.

Slipknot have three 🤘

Edited by Rexel Matador

1 hour ago, Monkey Steve said:

clearly the only reason to have two drummers in the band is so that you still have a drummer when you have to sack one

Nah its to make sure all the drummer failings get covered over.  

• Haha 1

Just now, Rexel Matador said:

Arguably it would make them more noticeable unless the drummers fail in unison

If one misses a beat the other covers it. Failing in unison is something they should aim for then no-one will even notice.

Think i may have contradicted myself there. :laugh1:

If they both have double bass drums they can play quadruplets on bass drums dead easy. :laugh1:

Phil Spector was an early user of more than one drummer, primarily in the studio. Hal Blaine’s drum parts were often doubled to create the ‘Wall of Sound’. Drummer Earl Palmer was also a member of the legendary group of musicians known as ‘The Wrecking Crew’ who played on so many hits in the 60’s and 70’s.

I recently watched a great film about this, available IIRC on YouTube. Search for ‘The Wrecking Crew Movie’ and I think it’s still there.

Creaming Jesus had two drummers in the early days, one of whom was a very attractive female.  They didn't factor in that she might leave when they sacked the lead guitarist that she was going out with at the time - I'm sure that lost them a chunk of their following.  Still, as per my earlier post, they did have a spare, and they never felt the need to replace her

Having two drummers playing at once doesn't just merge into one - it becomes bigger. Much bigger. It's quite thrilling to hear it live - I saw Melvins do it a couple of times, but King Crimson with three drummers at the front of the stage was incredibly powerful, and not just the volume levels.

Saw Godsmack at Download last year and they had this "drum duel" where the lead singer, who has also been playing guitar for the whole set, got behind a second drum kit and had a "drum off" against the bloke who has actually been playing drums for the whole set.  Honestly, made him look like a needy, self indulgent tw@t - seemed to be very much a "look at me!!!  I can play drums too!!!" ego polishing moment

Does Ian Gillan playing his bongos count?

23 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, three great bands from (essentially) the 70s, though for some reason nobody has yet cited The Glitter Band.

And you need VERY good hearing to detect that there are actually two drummers playing at the same time with any of those bands. Basically, there are drums supplying the beat.

So if it was so great and sounded so awesome, why has nobody (much) done it for the last 40 years?

Of course my very first thought when I saw this thread was... the mighty Adam of the Ants...

Full disclosure:  No it wasn't... it really, really wasn't! 🤣