Why become a member? ×

Bands with two drummers

Happy Jack

43 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Why?

Why two guitars, or two (or more...) singers..? Why so many fiddles in orchestras..? Some bands have one too many drummers, though (Cream, anyone..?)..! :|

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, gary mac said:

The Doobies sounded pretty fine with two:friends:

35 minutes ago, cetera said:

Because they sound epic..... especially the Doobie Brothers and Allman Brothers Band!

10 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

Yep, I'm all for two drummers.  Check out the Tubes' What Do You Want From Live to see how it can sound great

Yup, three great bands from (essentially) the 70s, though for some reason nobody has yet cited The Glitter Band.

And you need VERY good hearing to detect that there are actually two drummers playing at the same time with any of those bands. Basically, there are drums supplying the beat.

So if it was so great and sounded so awesome, why has nobody (much) done it for the last 40 years?

4 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

So if it was so great and sounded so awesome, why has nobody (much) done it for the last 40 years?

Lack of imagination..... over reliance on technology for additional percussion/rhythm... and money to pay the extra member, cart his stuff around etc...

Edited by cetera

44 minutes ago, cetera said:

Because they sound epic..... especially the Doobie Brothers and Allman Brothers Band!

I just love the drum break on the track, Road Angel from  What Were Once Vices. Always give it a blast at a decent volume.:)

• Like 1

Playing with two drummers has been on my bucket list since I heard that James Brown used two. Sadly I discovered that only one played at a time! Then we supported the Doobie Brothers in the early 70's and with their two drummers the sound was immense.

I think that opportunity has gone. These days I don't play gigs with big enough stages.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

Why two guitars, or two (or more...) singers..? Why so many fiddles in orchestras..? Some bands have one too many drummers, though (Cream, anyone..?)..! :|

Instruments such as voice do harmonies or counterpoint melodies, which sounds pretty good. Strings in orchestras are different - due to the timbre and the intonation, when many eg violins play together it distinctly changes the sound. Also, a single violin is a very quiet instrument so it really helps balance out with eg the brass section. 

2+ guitars in bands - they tend to play different things. As well as harmonies, often one will play chords and the other upper/revoiced/rootless voicing chords or a riff or melody line.

Very different to drums.

1 hour ago, gary mac said:

I just love the drum break on the track, Road Angel from  What Were Once Vices. Always give it a blast at a decent volume.:)

Damn right! Love that..... and the twin traps in Without You from The Captain And Me!

1 hour ago, Happy Jack said:

Yup, three great bands from (essentially) the 70s, though for some reason nobody has yet cited The Glitter Band.

Tedeschi Trucks Band. Saw them at the Palladium last year and the two drummers worked beautifully together. Sounded fabulous.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Playing with two drummers has been on my bucket list since I heard that James Brown used two. Sadly I discovered that only one played at a time! Then we supported the Doobie Brothers in the early 70's and with their two drummers the sound was immense.

I think that opportunity has gone. These days I don't play gigs with big enough stages.

Mine too (bucket list).

Not giving up hope (big enough stages).

• Like 1