Why become a member? ×

JUNE COMPOSITION CHALLENGE

lurksalot

June’s challenge is on!

Here's the image for your inspiration, chosen by last month’s winner Leonard Smalls 

It's a picture of The BromleyBoyz - a gang of odd youths who used to follow my old band and dressed as Monty Python housewives...

bromleyboyz.jpg

Usual rules apply:

✔️ Entries must be <5 minutes and written/recorded this month.

No illegal samples or other funny business.

No bagpipes. Ever.

Deadline for entries is midnight on Lurksalittles 20th birthday (23rd June for those who forgot 9_9)

I can't believe I'm first in but hey, here we go.

I pulled the movement element in with the music and the dress sense with the lyrics , not overly obscure references and most should pick them out straight away.

guitar, bass,keys and vocal yours truly, announcer is lurksalittle and drums EZ 

Enjoy ....naughty boy 

• Like 3

Here is my contribution to the June 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by the previous winner: Leonard Smalls..!
It started off as a search for inspiration, as I had no 'handle' on it. As a bit of a change, I turned on my keyboard, dialled away the 'acoustic piano' I usually play, and stumbled upon an 'electric guitar' setting. Using this, I picked out a riff I had in my head. Hmm... Potential, maybe, but my piano is in my modelling 'den', and not connected to my PC. No worries, I have a Fostex hard-disk 8-track recorder; I'll dig that out. Once I'd worked out again how it works (s'been a long time, and I'm old..!), I got the riff down. No click, metronome nor beat, just raw keys. Downstairs to my pica-studio, to export the result into Reaper. Hmm... It's a bit 'ropey', compared to the metronome. I spend some time fiddling about with the files, chopping bits up here and there, but decide, eventually, to ask Our Eldest to play the riff instead. Once I'd set up the gear required to do that, I thought to try it out to get the sound I wanted. Might as well record it, whilst I'm at it. Three takes later (one track, doubled track and one 'extras' track...), no need to trouble the lad; it's done and dusted. Stick a bass on (well, two, while I'm in the mood...) and a drum track, scrub the original 'keys' guitar and it's finished..!
Drums programmed with Superior 3, two mystery basses and three 'live' takes of my Xavier guitar, through a Boss compressor pedal, Boss Fender Deluxe pedal and a Germanium Big Muff pedal. All mixed in Reaper, with the usual post-production mastering with Ozone. I'm not sure if my 'inspiration' hits the spot, but it was more fun to do than I'd thought at first, so... Result..!
Thanks for listening, if you already have; if you're about to, enjoy.

Edit : Best played rather on the 'loud' end of the phonic spectrum, but not so much as to damage your hearing, please. Good speakers (monitors...) are preferable; ear-buds probably less good, unless they're super-duper ones.

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 4

I've finished mine... And it's about not taking any guff from bigots!

It's inspired by the time Barf Roco played the Jericho Tavern in Oxford. After the sound check the band went out for some chips, and when we came back we saw a terrified local chap running for his life down the road; he was being pursued by one of the Bromley Boyz in full wig/headscarf/housecoat regalia waving an iron bar and shouting "we're from f@@ckin' Laaaaahnden!!!!"

I've used that very phrase on a number of occasions as an excuse for bad behaviour 😅

Anyway, song features 2 x AAS synths, drums programmed through EZ drummer, bass is my trusty Wal pretending to be a sequencer with distortion from a Darkglass tube distortion pedal, guitar solo is also the Wal through Bias FX free and vox are by me (sorry) with added valve distortion to make sure you hear less of it...

And sorry again ☠️

• Like 3

This month's offering. Seeing as I know zilch about Bromley and the picture looks about 30 years old I went down the route of Python, being silly and how that gets harder to do as we all get older. Well, it's not harder to do at all but youngsters don't like older people being silly cus it's SOOOOO embarrassing, grampa. Go to hell, young shaver m'laddo. Anyhow, Python. They did a cheese shop sketch. Had a bouzouki playing in the background. I've got one so there's my 'in', tried to make it sound 'background-y', too. More or less used the chords from the cheese sketch and that also influences the lead bass line played on my trusty old Starforce 7008 through a Roland Micro Cube. Percussive sounds are samples of me hitting various parts of a bookbinding machine (a Kolbus DA36 casemaker, thanks for asking) with a spanner. That's very silly. Organ sound from my Yamaha keyboard, minimal vox, an ocean wave sample and a metronomic ticking to indicate that there's...no time....to lose....Toulouse. All recorded using WavePad and Audacity. Stay safe, stay silly.

• Like 1

My contribution to the June 2020 Basschat Composition Challenge, inspired by a picture chosen by last month's winner, Leonard Smalls.
The picture asked me for a dumb, rough, punky, sub 3 minute romp.... so that's what I did. Lyrically, I suspect the guys in the pic were a welcome sideshow, looking at the band, but I've drawn on my years at bike events, where there was often a bunch of chubby, beardy, middle aged attention whores, often in tutus and fairy wings, being 'hilarious' and 'wild', because they're' soooo crazy' and 'don't care what anybody thinks' (except they do, obvs)... Getting in the way of people who actually want to watch the entertainment they've paid for. A novelty at first, but irritation after the first few times.

All recorded in Cubase Elephants, with bass and guitar through the Helix. Drums courtesy of the Mrs, and Roland.

**** Not totally worksafe, verse 1 contains a single, mid-scale profanity (Tw@t) ***

Edited by NickD
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

... or, at least, will be when Dummy here ^^ gets the 'Vote' part added..! 9_9

this internet thing must be struggling in that most  rural of rural outposts in rural foreigndom  , put some more coal on the router it might warm it up a bit :P

• Haha 1