Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

The WHO is being challenged by some new evidence about transmission:

". . . . . . 239 scientists from 32 countries don't agree: they say there is also strong evidence to suggest the virus can also spread in the air: through much tinier particles that float around for hours after people talk, or breathe out. "

If that is true, events with audiences might be moving further away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chris_b said:

The WHO is being challenged by some new evidence about transmission:

". . . . . . 239 scientists from 32 countries don't agree: they say there is also strong evidence to suggest the virus can also spread in the air: through much tinier particles that float around for hours after people talk, or breathe out. "

If that is true, events with audiences might be moving further away.

To be honest I'd always assumed that to be the case. In my mind if the virus is carried in droplets of water then just breathing out can transmit it. Shutting yourself in an enclosed space for a length of time with lots of socially distanced people still, to me, seems like a bad idea. You're inhaling what others have exhaled without any direct coughing or spluttering. Breathe on a cold window and the water condenses showing just how much water is in normal breath. 

Edited by Maude
With was meant to be without.
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Maude said:

To be honest I'd always assumed that to be the case. In my mind if the virus is carried in droplets of water then just breathing out can transmit it. Shutting yourself in an enclosed space for a length of time with lots of socially distanced people still, to me, seems like a bad idea. You're inhaling what others have exhaled with any direct coughing or spluttering. Breathe on a cold window and the water condenses showing just how much water is in normal breath. 

Absolutely. Makes me wonder how air travel can even be a possibility at the moment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, casapete said:

Absolutely. Makes me wonder how air travel can even be a possibility at the moment.

Without turning it political, as any party would do the same, I feel the whole pubs opening, air travel kind of stuff is just sending the lab rats out there to test the water. If the rats don't die maybe we can all do likewise. If the rats do die then it's a good job we all stayed well away. 

We have an abundance of lab rats and if a couple of cage fulls die then it's not the end of the world, could even be good as we have to many. If the rats spread the virus to a couple of innocents that subsequently die then that's a risk we're happy to take. Obviously no party could actually say this though. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Maude said:

Without turning it political, as any party would do the same, I feel the whole pubs opening, air travel kind of stuff is just sending the lab rats out there to test the water. If the rats don't die maybe we can all do likewise. If the rats do die then it's a good job we all stayed well away. 

We have an abundance of lab rats and if a couple of cage fulls die then it's not the end of the world, could even be good as we have to many. If the rats spread the virus to a couple of innocents that subsequently die then that's a risk we're happy to take. Obviously no party could actually say this though. 

While I don't disagree with your point, I am not convinced by your analogy. You don't send lab rats out, they stay in labs and you experiment on them. Its canaries, you send them down mines (or in pubs) to see if they die of a lack of oxygen (or abundance of something else).

But yes, as you were :D

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

While I don't disagree with your point, I am not convinced by your analogy. You don't send lab rats out, they stay in labs and you experiment on them. Its canaries, you send them down mines (or in pubs) to see if they die of a lack of oxygen (or abundance of something else).

But yes, as you were :D

You know, I did think of that half way through but couldn't be bothered to go back and change it. Yet here I am, spending even longer explaining why I didn't change it than it would have taken to change it. 

Beside I couldn't get the canaries on the plane as they just looked at me incredulously whilst shrugging their wings, but the rats were more than happy to oblige. 😉

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Maude said:

Beside I couldn't get the canaries on the plane as they just looked at me incredulously whilst shrugging their wings, but the rats were more than happy to oblige. 😉

Your rats are more obliging then ours. Here is our rats travel bag...

IMG_0763.thumb.jpg.ff24e6c74690e3c307fec8ef5606b5c4.jpg

Oh I seem to have dropped a plectrum..

• Haha 2

Maybe it is a FB thing, not seeing embedded vids unless you are on FB?  I don't really know.  I hate the thing, personally, but it is the medium the guitarist prefers so I flow along with it.

The video is perfectly visible, and plays fine, on my humble PC, Windows 10. I have an ad blocker; it doesn't bother this video. I don't have a Facebook account, so can't log into that (and wouldn't if I had one...). Must be another reason if it's not there. ;)

• Thanks 1

Really? I read the government advice yesterday. Outdoor gigs can start from the 11th (tomorrow no less).

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/performing-arts-given-green-light-to-resume-outdoors-on-july-11

The guidance makes clear that the following measures should be considered to allow for safe resumption of performances:

• A reduction in venue capacity and limited ticket sales to ensure social distancing can be maintained
  • All tickets must be purchased online and venues are encouraged to move towards e-ticketing for help with track and trace
  • Venues should have clearly communicated social distancing marking in place in areas where queues form and adopt a limited entry approach *. Increased deep cleaning of auditoriums
  • Performances should be scheduled to allow sufficient time to undertake deep cleaning before the next audience arrives
  • Singing and the playing of brass and wind instruments in groups or in front of an audience is limited to professionals only
  • Performers, conductors, musicians must observe social distancing wherever possible

Don't know what they mean about professionals. Is that us?

• Like 2

I am getting a lot of 'when are we going to be practicing again' sort of hassle from my new band, I mean we are not even gig ready so I am not sure why but getting the feeling they are getting fed up with my reluctance to die for the sake of getting some tunes ready. Not sure how that is going to play out.

I imagine this is happening in quite a few places. Now that things are opened it seems like a lot of people think it was all for nothing and it is just the government overreacting (as opposed to my opinion that it was the government underreacting).

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 15:57, fretmeister said:

I've got a virtual gig on Saturday.

About 150 performers / students.

All via Zoom.

The lag is going to be shite.

Well the lag wasn't shite....

Stupid thing kept chucking me out completely. Didn't get to play a note.

Of the 150 or so I reckon about 80-90 of them were stable though, so not as bad as it could have been.

We've just booked our first studio rehearsal in Glasgow for 26th July. We have a gig beginning of October but still have no idea whether it will go ahead.

If it does i just wonder how many people will actually turn up or buy tickets.

Dave

46 minutes ago, ezbass said:

This PM from our drummer’s back garden. 15:30-16:30 livestream on FB. 😬

Enjoy man, we did a live stream a couple of weeks back on Facebook to raise money for a struggling venue. They raised a fair whack and we had 100k plus views/watchers which was mental! Super good fun and its just great too play again.

• Like 2