Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

It won't be any time soon in Ontario. The whole province will go into shutdown as of December 26 with only essential stores(food mainly) and some services open, similar to the situation in March. This will last a minimum of 14 days in the northern part and 28 days in the more densely populated south. Restaurants can do take out or delivery only. Limited numbers in big box stores but only if they sell food(Walmart) and hardware and building supply stores. All personal services are closing and the school holiday has been extended well into January. Here we go again, very limited social interaction rules so no live shows and rehearsals only under special conditions, neither of the bands I am in have rehearsed since March and won't be any time soon.

They have also ordered all ski hills and cross country ski centres to close, just as most are opening and were hoping to get some business over the holidays. I am lucky that I live in a very rural area and have ski trails on my own property and can use neighbour's trails too. The snowmobile trails (thousands of km crisscrossing the province) were just starting to open in some area and I assume that won't happen now.

No idea when any live music venues will open, it looks like a bleak future, at least for a few months.

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Woodwind said:

Isn't this too late? The deal has effectively been made

We were all describing exactly this scenario two years ago.

The deal is a baseline and doesn't say anything specific on the issue, this is seeking an exemption from the standard rules. It's generally accepted that we will be negotiating on less 'headline' issues like this for years to come.

Particularly worrying is that CITES rules will apply if you take your precious instruments to Europe. Wait for the fuss when a £1M violin with ivory tuners gets confiscated...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Particularly worrying is that CITES rules will apply if you take your precious instruments to Europe. Wait for the fuss when a £1M violin with ivory tuners gets confiscated...

I am certainly not going to take my £1M violin with me to europe, thats for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Our band has 2 divisions " She's Right, I'm Left" is our acoustic offering. Maple Road is the full electric band offering.

Heres a clip of our acoustic virtual 2020 New Years Eve show. Our set starts at 36.40. Headphones or speakers recommended.

Blue

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Our band has 2 divisions " She's Right, I'm Left" is our acoustic offering. Maple Road is the full electric band offering.

Heres a clip of our acoustic virtual 2020 New Years Eve show. Our set starts at 36.40. Headphones or speakers recommended.

Blue

Great stuff Blue. I'll watch more later.

For others - they come on at about 38 minutes until about the hour.