Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

I've managed a handful of gigs, either outdoor live or streaming on Facebook. It's great to be playing but it's sure not the same as gigging was.

One by one the blues club gigs have gone by the wayside but I have one at a blues club in Portsmouth on Thursday night. That will be fun. It's a big room and so I am hoping a decent number of people will be there. We'll see.

As for the OP question, I really don't know. I would have expected to be gigging in Europe a fair bit but am pretty pessimistic that it will happen again for a fair old while. I think the carnet and other arrangements will likely make it unviable.

• Like 1

Haven't rehearsed since March 11th, looks like our one and only Xmas gig will be cancelled, no further gigs in the pipeline. We are very much waiting for a return to normality and trying to carry on rehearsals in the current situation is a non-starter, so it will be a long time before we're back to normal here.

Well, my gig last week didn't happen. It was supposed to be outside, but the weather was bad so they moved it inside and the guitarist who has just moved back in with his parents wasn't prepared to risk the family having to isolate (didn't mention actually getting ill). I don't think he really wanted to do it anyway, but either way not criticising his choice, only worth doing if every is happy. It was also unpaid, and after they handled it (not mentioning we weren't playing on the site) I don't feel bad about it from that point of view.

Would have been nice though. I think with the rumours of lockdown coming, I will just hang up the stuff for the year!

We've agreed as a band that gigs aint gonna be happening this side of Summer 2021

Still rehearsing once a month to keep things tight and add a few new songs to the setlist.

We always added a new female vocalist who will be taking some lead parts but mostly backing vocals. Will let her get used to the set before we ever get round to gigging.

Dave

• Like 2

I really want to buy a cab, I've not got one at the moment (I've got a head), but I feel that right now it'd just be a wast of money and not be used for who knows how long.

I'm very pessimistic about the near future. I think we're looking at a sustained period of needing social distancing and other measures to keep on top of the spread of Covid, and that ultimately means no gigs. Maybe meeting up for practices and jams is the best we can hope for at the moment.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Painy said:

First gig since lockdown confirmed this evening for next Saturday! 

It's even paid - at roughly 2/3 of our pre-lockdown standard fee. I'd happily have done it for free to be honest but it'll be a couple of extra Christmas presents for my kids which is nice. 

I literally can't remember the last time I was this excited! Gigging has been such a massive part of my life for the last 25 years and I can't deny that the lack of gigs this year has had a genuine impact on my mental health. I feel like somebody that lost a leg but a doctor has just told me that he can regrow it for me. 😁

Well that'll teach me to get my hopes up. 😔

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

After playing in various bands for past 40 yrs with some long breaks in between i finally found a band that i'm happy with and we all get along really well. We put the effort in last year to get everything just right for gigging. Did a couple of gigs end last year plus a few Xmas gigs and the response was excellent. Well paid gigs too.

For once everything was coming  together just nicely then COVID killed it. This was gonna be a great year with many gigs lined up. All now cancelled and no sign of gigging before early Sumer 2021 i reckon.

Dave

• Sad 2

I'm sure all BC'ers must be feeling really sorry for all the pro musicians out there - they might have just about survived the last lockdown and been limping along since then, but tonight's announcement might be the final straw.

And also all the support crews that worked with them..... not so easy to 'retrain' when it's the only life you've known.

And even if Covid is beaten or becomes just another virus for us humans to deal with, it'll take many years for the live arts in all their forms to fully recover.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

After playing in various bands for past 40 yrs with some long breaks in between i finally found a band that i'm happy with and we all get along really well. We put the effort in last year to get everything just right for gigging. Did a couple of gigs end last year plus a few Xmas gigs and the response was excellent. Well paid gigs too.

For once everything was coming  together just nicely then COVID killed it. This was gonna be a great year with many gigs lined up. All now cancelled and no sign of gigging before early Sumer 2021 i reckon.

Dave

It’ll come back Dave, us old Glamsters have to keep the faith

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, martthebass said:

It’ll come back Dave, us old Glamsters have to keep the faith

Like all great Glam Rock bands there will be a come back. 

I'm still enjoying playing the set list at rehearsals and we are still doing a 6 hr rehearsal every month.

Dave

• Like 1

Must admit i think the music business will be far more resilient than we think and it will come back fairly fast once they get the go ahead. Venues will be keen to get bands in and people will be keen to see their fav bands on tour again. I think we'll see a surge of bands touring again.

Musicians like many other people will either have to live of Government money or retrain until their life returns to where it was.

I have sympathy for anyone that's affected by it all.

That's my positive head on tonight. Tomorrow i may have my negative head on and this will all change :laugh1:

Dave

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

We were due to rehearse on Sunday but our drummer had to isolate until Tuesday. Who knows when we will rehearse again let alone gig. 

Keep pushing to rehearse even if its just once a month it keeps you motivated and focused on something.

Dave 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Dave

I'm right with you on that one. I found the "perfect" old fartz band... no egos and we all get on well. No gigs yet, but we were just starting to gel.

After eight months we're really getting our act together (once the guitarist finally updated his technology) with swapping sound files and putting together decent recordings.

Can't wait to have our first post-lockdown rehearsal... we've all sharpened ourselves up a lot, even though we haven't been playing in the same room.

Good luck to everyone.

• Like 2

On 01/11/2020 at 11:10, Trueno said:

I'm right with you on that one. I found the "perfect" old fartz band... no egos and we all get on well. No gigs yet, but we were just starting to gel.

After eight months we're really getting our act together (once the guitarist finally updated his technology) with swapping sound files and putting together decent recordings.

Can't wait to have our first post-lockdown rehearsal... we've all sharpened ourselves up a lot, even though we haven't been playing in the same room.

Good luck to everyone.

Same here, found an OF band full of good blokes, no EGOs, still rehearsing when we can. Have tow gigs booked next Summer.

• Like 2

Too tired to post when I got home last night, but it was a cracking gig to a full (for a given value of 'full') house of genuine music fans ... my second post-Covid gig at that pub and they were two of the best I can remember.

Landlord reckons he won't now be able to re-open until after Xmas and he thinks the same will be true of a lot of places. I hope he's wrong, but he's very well plugged-in to the Herts. music pub scene and I suspect he knows what he's talking about.

• Like 2

I've got a sort-of gig this afternoon. Four of us in a field videoing a few songs for a local music festival that has gone virtual for this year. I wasn't too encouraged by having to scrape the ice off the windscreen before driving this morning!

• Like 2