Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

Last weekend we did our first gig ever as a classic rock covers band which has formed during lockdown.

None of the members have gigged since March so we’ve had to time to pull together a set, rattle off a quick rehearsal and pull off the gig!

It was great to get out playing and make a noise, and the sold out audience seemed to feel the same way, despite the social distancing measures which meant limited numbers, table seating etc.

Definitely got mileage for some more gigs and more songs. It’s a nice low-pressure way of us all having something creative to focus on without committing to stacks of gigs. 

930E75B7-5C6C-4A49-98F0-78D4A43B01BC.jpeg

Edited by bassbiscuits
  • Like 1

There are still no serious opportunities  in the UK to perform the music I'm involved with for quite a while.

I look at peers in continental Europe who are playing shows (and arguably shows which are better events than pre-covid19).

I've been working up a fully battery powered stage set up for the last few months in preparation of some site specific projects next  year and decided to christen it yesterday by playing on the South Bank under Southwark Bridge.

I should have brought a recording set up with me as the sound was absolutely incredible for my music!

I've never busked before and was especially curious/nervous as to how post-classical/ambient originals would go down.

I needn't have worried. People who weren't interested just didn't care, but those whose interest was piqued and had the time to listen really engaged.

The experience was excellent!

As long as it's feasable with the new and ever changing covid regulations I will do this again.

For those in London who would be interested keep your eye on my Instagram as that's where I'll advertise on the day.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Woodwind said:

've been working up a fully battery powered stage set up for the last few months in preparation of some site specific projects next  year and decided to christen it yesterday by playing on the South Bank under Southwark Bridge.

I should have brought a recording set up with me as the sound was absolutely incredible for my music!

I've never busked before and was especially curious/nervous as to how post-classical/ambient originals would go down.

I needn't have worried. People who weren't interested just didn't care, but those whose interest was piqued and had the time to listen really engaged.

No one was asking for pop covers? I'm suprised (and encouraged) I checked out your site. Nice.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, StickyDBRmf said:

No one was asking for pop covers? I'm suprised (and encouraged) I checked out your site. Nice.

I'd chosen a spot that while having a good natural acoustic wasn't going to have too many people passing by.

It's a part on the southbank that attracts more of the less conventional buskers -

I've seen a young guy playing a vibraphone there along with duos of quite unusual pairings of instruments, with music ranging from jazz to classical to originals.

It was nice to be reminded that one doesn't have to do pure pop (although you'd probably earn more).

Thanks for checking my site Sticky!

• Like 1

I've only managed 2 gigs (outdoor) since March.

And now I've got 2 gigs offered - but they're both on the same b****y date!  Sods Law.

One is a dep with a club band, other is a jazz type gig in a new restaurant venue (good luck with that in the current climate  🙄 )

I've passed the club gig over to another local bassist who hasn't had a single gig this year, poor guy.

Pleased to be able to offer it to him :friends:

• Like 4

On 11/10/2020 at 17:52, bassbiscuits said:

Last weekend we did our first gig ever as a classic rock covers band which has formed during lockdown.

None of the members have gigged since March so we’ve had to time to pull together a set, rattle off a quick rehearsal and pull off the gig!

It was great to get out playing and make a noise, and the sold out audience seemed to feel the same way, despite the social distancing measures which meant limited numbers, table seating etc.

Definitely got mileage for some more gigs and more songs. It’s a nice low-pressure way of us all having something creative to focus on without committing to stacks of gigs. 

930E75B7-5C6C-4A49-98F0-78D4A43B01BC.jpeg

Looks like The Donkey on Welford Road?

• Haha 1

On 14/10/2020 at 11:54, Woodwind said:

There are still no serious opportunities  in the UK to perform the music I'm involved with for quite a while.

I look at peers in continental Europe who are playing shows (and arguably shows which are better events than pre-covid19).

I've been working up a fully battery powered stage set up for the last few months in preparation of some site specific projects next  year and decided to christen it yesterday by playing on the South Bank under Southwark Bridge.

As long as it's feasable with the new and ever changing covid regulations I will do this again.

For those in London who would be interested keep your eye on my Instagram as that's where I'll advertise on the day.

I’ve fancied playing in that spot. I’ve seen quite a few classical musicians busking there, they always have a lovely sound.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

The only gig left in the diary this year now cancelled due to tier 3....☹️

We only have a single gig left in 2020 but that's the first week of December - the Tier 3 restrictions are planned to last for up to 28 days...although if they actually continue beyond that then like you we're stuffed!  We haven't even bothered to look for dates into 2021 - do you want to be the schmuck phoning pubs asking for gigs when they're trying their best just to stay afloat, let alone be considering additional expenditure?

• Like 3

I have two gigs booked for 2021, with two different bands. With the whole year to choose from, I'm supposed to be playing the Thursday eleven to midnight slot at a festival in Kent, then return to Oxford that night (it's about 135 miles - played there before). The following day I have to be bright eyed, etc. and drive the somewhat shorter distance to Chippenham in Wiltshire to attend a wedding, then play at the wedding party on the Saturday.

On the plus side, I should get paid well for the wedding. In fact I could be paid a huge amount of money. The only problem is that I'll be paying myself - it's my daughter's wedding!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

On the plus side, I should get paid well for the wedding. In fact I could be paid a huge amount of money. The only problem is that I'll be paying myself - it's my daughter's wedding!

I feel your pain having gone through the same event a few years back. All wedding suppliers triple their prices when they know it's for a wedding so I'd make sure you pay yourself triple your normal fee.....go on, you deserve it

2 minutes ago, ricksterphil said:

I feel your pain having gone through the same event a few years back. All wedding suppliers triple their prices when they know it's for a wedding so I'd make sure you pay yourself triple your normal fee.....go on, you deserve it

I'll get myself drunk and then negotiate a good discount with myself - and I'll get it in writing!

• Like 1

We had started back our gig, but Hurricane Sally (south Alabama) damaged our gig joint a few weeks ago. So no gigs until further notice. Looking for another joint or another group to play with. The guy who I play for is more of a 1 man show. So, small stuff he does alone.

Edited by Pappabass
  • Like 1

First gig since lockdown confirmed this evening for next Saturday! 

It's even paid - at roughly 2/3 of our pre-lockdown standard fee. I'd happily have done it for free to be honest but it'll be a couple of extra Christmas presents for my kids which is nice. 

I literally can't remember the last time I was this excited! Gigging has been such a massive part of my life for the last 25 years and I can't deny that the lack of gigs this year has had a genuine impact on my mental health. I feel like somebody that lost a leg but a doctor has just told me that he can regrow it for me. 😁

• Like 1